Transcode in H265

Snaaaake

I'd like to see this for another reason as well as what's been expressed.  Right now if you have H.265 video but have an audio track that needs transcoding, then both get transcoded for HLS delivery.

This won't have any impact on that.

I don't know why not.  Take for example an MKV with H.265 and only DTS in it but the client only supports 2 channel audio.  No resolution or bit rate issues (only audio).  Right now both the audio and video gets transcoded because of an audio issue and it likely gets delivered as HLS.

In order to support H.265 transcoding for streaming as requested (not just as an optimize processes)  I'd assume you would work this into a Live Streaming format package using segments.  Once you can handle segmented H.265 like we currently can with H.264 there would be no reason to transcode video due to ONLY audio compatible issues.

Basically we never want to touch the video if we don't need to especially with H.265 since it can be so resource intensive and the quality drop we see in real-time encoding.

What am I missing?

Right now when I prepare H.265/mkv files I add a 2 channel stereo audio track if one isn't there and mark it as the default just to make sure I never hit this problem with mkv/H.265.  But if only the audio could transcode then we wouldn't need to do this anymore as the transcoder could do the audio portion with little overhead.

Because we can already package hevc in hls via stream copy when the client video player supports it. Some don't support it so this would not have any impact on that.

I know it can be done, just haven't seen it done.  I was helping someone the other day with MKV/H.265 and DTS file just as I described above and Emby transcoded both the audio and video because the user needed AAC stereo.  Was to a local lan Shield TV.  This is the reason I brought it up since I just saw it happen.

I'll have to try it myself in house and see what happens.

Edited by cayars

• 2 weeks later...
maegibbons

I know it can be done, just haven't seen it done.  I was helping someone the other day with MKV/H.265 and DTS file just as I described above and Emby transcoded both the audio and video because the user needed AAC stereo.  Was to a local lan Shield TV.  This is the reason I brought it up since I just saw it happen.

I'll have to try it myself in house and see what happens.

Not sure if I am not understanding you correctly BUT....

If I play some of my HEVC 4k media to my Shield with DTS and my TV does not understand DTS THEN I just get the audio remuxed.  The video Direct Plays in the HLS stream.

Is this not what you want and are talking about?

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

Yes it is.  I can't easily test this on Android as my sound system can play back anything I can throw at it.

Thanks for trying that for me Mark!

Edited by cayars

KarlDag

Yes it is. I can't easily test this on Android as my sound system can play back anything I can throw at it.

Thanks for trying that for me Mark!

For testing purposes you could "just" switch the HDMI cable from your AVR to the TV, it probably doesn't support much. Edited by KarlDag

Yep, agree, Just being the lazy dude I am...

My entertainment system has very tidy wires and to change anything is extremely tiresome.

It's a show piece I use to showcase what "you could have also".

I really do need to pick up another Shield TV just for my lab environment.

mrfragger

I think the most likely scenario is that we'd start this with the offline download feature, as well as the media conversion feature. Then we'd use what we've learned to support it for on the fly transcoding as well.

I concur that's the direction to take initially for quite some time.  I think the main things to keep it simple would be to let the user select between FAST, MEDIUM or SLOW.  If they want weight B frames with SLOWEST let them use Handbrake or ffmepg themselves.  I use CRF 22 for all my encodes with SLOW.  Perhaps let them choose a CRF of 18, 20 or 22. I've been out of encoding for quite sometime and only recently have got back into it.  I used to be a moderator over on doom9 and here is a couple of relevant screenshots regarding energy consumption and what the various speed presets offer. From my experience it takes 5x more time to encode and also 5x the CPU usage to decode but is generally 40% smaller in file size compared with x264 so definitely worth it.

5c41de533bcc6_IMG_5496.jpg5c41e232f21a1_IMG_5502.jpg

Edited by mrfragger
  • Like 1

That graph looks very similar to my findings as well.

I personally would also stay in the Fast, Medium or Slow range for the preset as anything outside that range either requires much more bandwidth or energy.

That seems to be the sweet spot.

• 4 weeks later...
EricGRIT09

I'm with hyln9 - this is the #1 feature for me.  Anything I/we can do to contribute to this cause?  I followed the topic and am bumping this thread, at least :)

Isn't this already supported with the new HW transcoding feature?

Why not offering this for downloads and CPU transcodes as well?

Especially for those with not so much storage on their phones this could be a bless.

What is the recommended hardware for HW transcode and can you use HW transcode on the fly to h265 for watching TV using HD Home run?

Thanks in Advance

Charlie117

What is the recommended hardware for HW transcode and can you use HW transcode on the fly to h265 for watching TV using HD Home run?

Thanks in Advance

There is no recommended hardware as transcoding to H265 is not possible yet.

• 2 months later...
wiwolavida

I would love to have 265 transcode =) I don't have enough upload to stream 4k remux. The gtx 1650 is almost here. I'm sure it can handle 265 transcode smoothly. IMO I'd would be superior in general for remote streaming. Pretty much any device is capable of playback nowadays

• Like 1

I'm planning to look at this for the download/sync/convert features after the upcoming 4.1 release. 

• Like 2

KarlDag

I'm planning to look at this for the download/sync/convert features after the upcoming 4.1 release.

News of the month, for sure. Thank you!

wiwolavida

News of the month, for sure. Thank you!

Indeed great news. Thank you Luke. You can take my money after you succeeded ^^

EricGRIT09

Would love to convert my high bitrate h.264 media to HEVC but even more so I can't wait for this to ultimately lead to on the fly transcoding for remote users :)

• 3 weeks later...
schamane

Any improvement on this? Planning to buy new Hardware if this gets working, also a Question.

Will it be possible to force transcoding to h265? I mean this could save a lot of bandwidth. Or how will someone be able to chose which format will be target format.

Some Devices are not able to encode h265 in hardware etc. pp, a lot of dependencies incoming

Charlie117

Any improvement on this? Planning to buy new Hardware if this gets working, also a Question.

Will it be possible to force transcoding to h265? I mean this could save a lot of bandwidth. Or how will someone be able to chose which format will be target format.

Some Devices are not able to encode h265 in hardware etc. pp, a lot of dependencies incoming

The client always reports to the server what it is capable of in terms of hardware decoding. So if your client device is capable of H.265, the server will likely transcode to H.265 as that's the best codec available. If your client device doesn't support H.265, it will probably just transcode to H.264 as is standard right now.

Though I'm not sure how converted downloads would work, if people still get a choice of both H.265 and H.265 or that it would only the best available to be used.