Transcode in H265

Snaaaake

17 hours ago, runtimesandbox said:

In terms of hardware support, the latest firesticks certainly support playing back h265 files 

Pretty much every device sold these days (if it supports 4K resolution) can do H.265 decoding in hardware.  The only exceptions are "economy" devices designed for lowest possible price point.  People who buy those kinds of devices aren't your typical Emby user.  With H.265 capable streaming stick players available for ~$35, it's a very affordable upgrade for anyone whose current player isn't capable.  The obstacle is at the other end: a server capable of H.265 encoding in hardware is much less common, I would think.  I think that many people here run Emby server on their NAS's that can't do it.  To do it in a power-efficient way generally requires a relatively new desktop class Intel processor.

Edited by WGB123
Added info

fizzyade
On 30/08/2021 at 13:33, WGB123 said:

Pretty much every device sold these days (if it supports 4K resolution) can do H.265 decoding in hardware.  The only exceptions are "economy" devices designed for lowest possible price point.  People who buy those kinds of devices aren't your typical Emby user.  With H.265 capable streaming stick players available for ~$35, it's a very affordable upgrade for anyone whose current player isn't capable.  The obstacle is at the other end: a server capable of H.265 encoding in hardware is much less common, I would think.  I think that many people here run Emby server on their NAS's that can't do it.  To do it in a power-efficient way generally requires a relatively new desktop class Intel processor.

I'm not sure about that, although I have little to base it on other than what I see people running emby on in the limited places on the internet that I inhabit.

I would imagine that a fair chunk of people are running emby on "roll your own" NAS solutions (Unraid, freenas etc) and their hardware will have support either in the CPU or via a GPU, and that people running on off-the-shelf solutions are running on NAS's that are much more capable than entry level devices because of the need for large storage and potential expansion, many synology or QNAP devices fall into the category of having the necessary tech built in, even on devices going back quite a few years.

Getting your hands on higher upload speeds, or getting your data-caps removed or raised is neigh impossible, or extremely expensive reoccurring cost for vast majority of people, there is no competition in the ISP market you get what you get.

Obtaining hardware to transcode HEVC/H265 on the fly in real time, however is possible, feasible, and within a reasonable cost.. 

Example, my 60yro mother hits her Cox Cable 1TB Data cap streaming off my server, she dont go over much but she goes over consistently enough that i'm paying for her to upgrade to unlimited, costing an extra $50/mo for the last 2 years since I came to this thread.. thats >$1200 spent that woulda built me a pretty badass server instead of giving it to a big bag of Cox.

H265 Output is a cost saving feature, plain and simple.. in the long run obtaining a server capable of doing it is far outweighed by the bandwidth costs for many.. I could argue the inverse, how many people dont have servers capable of doing this because its not supported so why invest the money in it when your forced to spend it on datacaps.. or why buy some expensive hardware that is cheap and or obsolete by the time Emby finally implements this..

Nobody is specifically spending the money on this capability because it wont give them any tangible benefit if nothing utilizes it, so might as well stick to cheap old hardware until that changes.

Edited by nayr
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

runtimesandbox
6 hours ago, fizzyade said:

I'm not sure about that, although I have little to base it on other than what I see people running emby on in the limited places on the internet that I inhabit.

I would imagine that a fair chunk of people are running emby on "roll your own" NAS solutions (Unraid, freenas etc) and their hardware will have support either in the CPU or via a GPU, and that people running on off-the-shelf solutions are running on NAS's that are much more capable than entry level devices because of the need for large storage and potential expansion, many synology or QNAP devices fall into the category of having the necessary tech built in, even on devices going back quite a few years.

The very simple solution here is to have it disabled by default , in advanced settings in the dashboard with a big warning stating that it is only for users with h265 transcoding hardware (or with it not showing unless h265 transcoding hardware is detected)

• Like 1

I support everything you say about the possibility of deactivating transcoding, in my case I only use Emby myself and I do not share it with anyone else and all my devices are capable of reproducing H265, those who share with more people then yes they would have to enable transcoding because no they wouldn't know the hardware on the other side.

In my case the transcoding makes me unable to watch 4k H265 movies from Emby and I have everyday more and more H265 movies. The CPU and GPU of the Emby server reaches almost 100% work and every moment the playback stops so it jumps.

So I have to forget about using Emby in the 2 players where I have it installed (Dune and Zidoo player) and when I want to play H265 or ISO movies, I exit Emby and play them with its internal player.

So please Emby team, offer the option to disable transcoding.

rodainas
2 minutes ago, Teddy said:

I support everything you say about the possibility of deactivating transcoding, in my case I only use Emby myself and I do not share it with anyone else and all my devices are capable of reproducing H265, those who share with more people then yes they would have to enable transcoding because no they wouldn't know the hardware on the other side.

In my case the transcoding makes me unable to watch 4k H265 movies from Emby and I have everyday more and more H265 movies. The CPU and GPU of the Emby server reaches almost 100% work and every moment the playback stops so it jumps.

So I have to forget about using Emby in the 2 players where I have it installed (Dune and Zidoo player) and when I want to play H265 or ISO movies, I exit Emby and play them with its internal player.

So please Emby team, offer the option to disable transcoding.

Am not following.

You can disable transcoding on the server settings, users, disable transcoding for the user. Or on the client app go to playback, and set the bitrate limit to maximum size 120mbit/4k.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
Kipperdawn

I too would like this feature. I don't have many users, but bw is an issue for them so saving on bw would be helpful. I like the idea of it being an advanced option such that it isn't on by default, but can be turned on by those that it would help. 

• Agree 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
cooolboy

Hey @Luke do you know if hw transcoding  in h265 is planned in the near future for live streams of media libraries? By the way just bought lifetime and would really love to have this feature as my hardware supports it... 

Edited by cooolboy

5 hours ago, cooolboy said:

Hey @Luke do you know if hw transcoding  in h265 is planned in the near future for live streams of media libraries? By the way just bought lifetime and would really love to have this feature as my hardware supports it... 

We've already got that for the conversion feature. It's just not used yet in video streaming.

cooolboy
20 hours ago, Luke said:

We've already got that for the conversion feature. It's just not used yet in video streaming.

Sorry for not being very precise at my initial question but what i would like to know is if it's planned to support h265 encoding for the video steaming and not for the conversions feature and if yes will it be in the near future?

• 4 weeks later...
laie_techie
On 11/26/2021 at 6:09 AM, Maximus Naxsus said:

Checking this topic again as h266 development  is progressing..

From the Wikipedia article: "Encoding complexity of several times (up to ten times) that of HEVC is expected, depending on the quality of the encoding algorithm (which is outside the scope of the standard). The decoding complexity is about twice that of HEVC."

With such requirements, it will be a while before we see h.266 capable hardware. 

sebasmiles
On 11/26/2021 at 8:09 AM, Maximus Naxsus said:

Checking this topic again as h266 development  is progressing..

I think Luke is dreading the day when the "Transcode in H266" request is opened.

byakuya32
1 hour ago, sebasmiles said:

I think Luke is dreading the day when the "Transcode in H266" request is opened.

I would agree not to mention the increase in hardware demand as I think it will be more demanding than hvec and should only be done with the gpu. But I would like to see live transcoding support with h265. With current hardware only ampere based gpurs will do h266 but the files are half the size of h.265.

byakuya32

Nothing supports available right now so it would be entirely software cpu transcoding and probably limited to 1 stream unless you have a 5900x or 12900k

I would also be very interested in this feature. It is very functional in Jellyfin as of this moment but the product is not mature enough for me compared to Emby or Plex regarding others functionalities. After reading this topic, all I can do is wait that either Plex or Emby will be the first to implement this request.

syadnom
7 minutes ago, nSGecko said:

I would also be very interested in this feature. It is very functional in Jellyfin as of this moment but the product is not mature enough for me compared to Emby or Plex regarding others functionalities. After reading this topic, all I can do is wait that either Plex or Emby will be the first to implement this request.

yes, I have it working in Jellyfin but for me Jellyfin is completely unusable. 

runtimesandbox

Even though h266 is out, i'd much rather we focused on getting h265 support in especially as many generations of graphics cards and cpu have support for it now. 

byakuya32
17 minutes ago, runtimesandbox said:

Even though h266 is out, i'd much rather we focused on getting h265 support in especially as many generations of graphics cards and cpu have support for it now. 

I completely agree @Luke is there a tile line when streams will be transcoded in h.265