Help with my future build?

theBrad

theBrad

Hey - apologies if this comes across as a noob post or whatever, I've recently been introduced to Emby and I am absolutely amazed with it, it's absolutely fantastic, so good that I've decided to host my own Emby server.

I'm looking at spending anywhere from £300-500 (although this can be pushed up slightly if need be) for my build.

I've considered these things currently:

Mac Mini (16GB Ram, i5 Processor, 240GB SSD)

HPe Proliant ML10 Gen9

HPE ProLiant Gen8 G1610T 819185-421 (4GB RAM) MicroServer

Storage won't be a problem as I'll have a 8TB NAS to start with. 

My requirements so far are:

Steam to 3 devices in the same household. (Will most likely be 3 at the max, but maybe potential for 4-5) 

Be able to stream remotely to 1-2 people (If I'm at my girlfriends house or travelling for work) 

Do either of the 3 I've posted look like they could do what I require? Or do any of you kind folk know a better build that will give me more bang for my buck?

I'm not opposed to building the server myself out of parts, just trying to get some knowledge here.

Many thanks :)

pir8radio

Intel Xeon E3-1225V5 / 3.3GHz (Quad-Core)

I'm an HP fan, I don't think you will like the micro server after a while, its kind of restricted as to what hardware you can add/remove.  I say go with the ML10. 

• Like 1

theBrad

I'm an HP fan, I don't think you will like the micro server after a while, its kind of restricted as to what hardware you can add/remove.  I say go with the ML10. 

Do you think the ML10 is powerful enough to stream / transcode to one remote location? 

Swynol

my i3 can handle 2-3 full transcoded streams fairly easy. Quadcore should have no issues with 5+ streams that you need.

i usually transcode internally, however i sometimes stream to 2 remote locations at once. it will be more limited to your upload connection, in my case its 20Mbps.

are you looking for rack mount or prefer to stick with tower? 

A HP DL380 which has 2x xeon CPUs can be had for similar price to the ML10. just need to make sure it has 3.5" drives and not 2.5"

Edited by Swynol

theBrad

my i3 can handle 2-3 full transcoded streams fairly easy. Quadcore should have no issues with 5+ streams that you need.

i usually transcode internally, however i sometimes stream to 2 remote locations at once. it will be more limited to your upload connection, in my case its 20Mbps.

are you looking for rack mount or prefer to stick with tower? 

A HP DL380 which has 2x xeon CPUs can be had for similar price to the ML10. just need to make sure it has 3.5" drives and not 2.5"

Preferably a tower for now.

dcrdev

Unless you are getting some kind of cashback from the HP one - might i suggest you go with the Lenovo ThinkServer TS150. It has the same specs - only unlike the ML10 it has an HDMI port and better cooling performance; it's also roughly the same price.

With the ML10 you don't get vga or hdmi, you only get 2 displayports neither of which support HDMI output, so if you don't have a displayport monitor - the initial set up is going to require you to purchase an active displayport-to-hdmi converter; which cost significantly more than a passive one.

Edited by dcrdev

theBrad

Unless you are getting some kind of cashback from the HP one - might i suggest you go with the Lenovo ThinkServer TS150. It has the same specs - only unlike the ML10 it has an HDMI port and better cooling performance; it's also roughly the same price.

With the ML10 you don't get vga or hdmi, you only get 2 displayports neither of which support HDMI output, so if you don't have a displayport monitor - the initial set up is going to require you to purchase an active displayport-to-hdmi converter; which cost significantly more than a passive one.

Hi, I can get the ThinkServer TS150 for about £80-100 cheaper than the ML10, but the processor on the ThinkServer doesn't look as good as the ML10's to me..

Reckon it'll be okay for 5-6 streams?

dcrdev

I'm not sure which processor you are referring to, but I meant go for the option with the E3-1225V5 i.e. the same as the ml10.

pir8radio

Keep in mind the IBM/Lenovo also uses display port and will require an adapter (passive) as well, however the active adapters for the HP are only $8.00 US. They have the same specs otherwise, it's just what you like. All hardware has fans and haters. I personally have used HP for over a decade, so I'm a bit biased. I also like the physical design of The more recent HP's they look cool.

mastrmind11

I have a Dell PowerEdge w/ an E3 1225v3, basically the same CPU as the HP.  Can be had for under $400 + 16GB of RAM for about $100.  Thing's a beast.

dcrdev

Keep in mind the IBM/Lenovo also uses display port and will require an adapter (passive) as well, however the active adapters for the HP are only $8.00 US. They have the same specs otherwise, it's just what you like. All hardware has fans and haters. I personally have used HP for over a decade, so I'm a bit biased. I also like the physical design of The more recent HP's they look cool.

Yeah but the TS150 has 1 DP + 1 HDMI.

In regards to fans I'm just saying that the HP has one exhaust and one CPU fan - there is very little airflow around the drive cage, I'm really not hating on the premise of fans. The Lenovo has an additional fan under the drive cage - that's where I see the benefit especially since the fan headers on both boards are likely proprietary. 

Both are really great options - but to me the Lenovo edges slightly ahead ; which is also why I'm buying one myself.

theBrad

I have a Dell PowerEdge w/ an E3 1225v3, basically the same CPU as the HP.  Can be had for under $400 + 16GB of RAM for about $100.  Thing's a beast.

Wow that looks fantastic! I could get that for just £230 (not including the 16GB of RAM)

Definitely tempting, does it have HDMI or will I need an adaptor for this too?

mastrmind11

Wow that looks fantastic! I could get that for just £230 (not including the 16GB of RAM)

Definitely tempting, does it have HDMI or will I need an adaptor for this too?

2x display ports so you'll need an adapter.  However, keep in mind that if you're planning to use it as an HTPC instead of just a server, you'll need to look elsewhere as Dell did not implement audio-out via DP in the bios.  Also note these boxes don't come w/ an OS, so you'll need to bring your own (I run ubuntu server).

• Like 1

theBrad

2x display ports so you'll need an adapter.  However, keep in mind that if you're planning to use it as an HTPC instead of just a server, you'll need to look elsewhere as Dell did not implement audio-out via DP in the bios.  Also note these boxes don't come w/ an OS, so you'll need to bring your own (I run ubuntu server).

Cool, I don't plan to use this as anything other than a server that hosts my Emby media, all the streaming I need will be done via Chromecast and Fire Sticks :)

mastrmind11

Cool, I don't plan to use this as anything other than a server that hosts my Emby media, all the streaming I need will be done via Chromecast and Fire Sticks :)

Cool.  If you do plan to buy one, make sure to double check the processor, it comes in 2 flavors so make sure you get the Xeon version.

theBrad

Cool.  If you do plan to buy one, make sure to double check the processor, it comes in 2 flavors so make sure you get the Xeon version.

That's the one I've got bookmarked! Looks fantastic, any idea how many streams roughly I could get out of it?

mastrmind11

That's the one I've got bookmarked! Looks fantastic, any idea how many streams roughly I could get out of it?

Its basically the same cpu as the one in the HP that I linked above, so about 7.