"This app is set for surround sound. Use your TV remote to adjust volume."

hstamas

hstamas

Testing out my new Nvidia Shield and loaded up the Emby app. I have Emby set for direct audio output so it will pass AC3 to my TV but every time I enter either live TV (pulling from an HD Homerun Prime) or a movie etc I get the following Shield pop up notification "This app is set for surround sound. Use your TV remote to adjust volume." If I change Emby's sound output setting to "down mix to stereo" it stops.

I know this is an Nvidia Shield message but it only happens with the Emby app (I have Plex on the same system, set for surround sound and it does not do this), no amount of reconfiguring will make it stop.

Anyone else who has a Shield or other Android TV device seeing this or possibly have a solution? 

CBers

I get that as well, but I always thought it was it's due to the Volume control setting I have on the Shield itself, which is set to Fixed Volume Selected.

But yes, changing Emby Audio Output to Downmix to Stereo, does stop the message appearing.

Curious!

hstamas

Its more of an OCD problem than anything else! It doesn't affect anything but just bugs me every time I start any kind of video that it pops up. Ive seen it pop up once when I first got my Shield with I believe the Youtube app but its never come back again. I wonder if the app has some internal setting that makes that message stop appearing after the first time but the Emby app is not supressing it the way it should?

Note that no combination of settings on the Android side of things seems to make this message go away.

Edited by hstamas

This is a side effect of a workaround we put in for an obscure bug on the Shield related to audio not working in certain situations.

As you said, the message is actually coming from the Shield and does not affect anything but I may just remove the workaround since it only works some of the time anyway.

hstamas

This is a side effect of a workaround we put in for an obscure bug on the Shield related to audio not working in certain situations.

As you said, the message is actually coming from the Shield and does not affect anything but I may just remove the workaround since it only works some of the time anyway.

My OCD would be very grateful! Im really liking the app but probably would not put it into full time use if that pop up was a permanent thing.

Keep us posted!

CBers

My OCD would be very grateful! Im really liking the app but probably would not put it into full time use if that pop up was a permanent thing.

Stop touching the volume control on the remote then ;)

hstamas

Stop touching the volume control on the remote then ;)

Man, when I first started reading your reply I thought you were going in a whole different direction! 

Yeah, I thought the same thing, that I was inadvertantly hitting the touch sensitive volume strip on the remote but even If I stay completely clear of it or don't use the remote what so ever (I have a Harmony remote configured to work with the Shield) it still pops up when ever you initiate any kind of new video stream. 

@@ebr this wouldnt have anything to do with the fact that I'm still in trial mode with the Android app would it? I also get the pop up that my trial period will expire in X amount of days but that was expected.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

Man, when I first started reading your reply I thought you were going in a whole different direction! 

Yeah, I thought the same thing, that I was inadvertantly hitting the touch sensitive volume strip on the remote but even If I stay completely clear of it or don't use the remote what so ever (I have a Harmony remote configured to work with the Shield) it still pops up when ever you initiate any kind of new video stream. 

@@ebr this wouldnt have anything to do with the fact that I'm still in trial mode with the Android app would it? I also get the pop up that my trial period will expire in X amount of days but that was expected.

I see this too w/o touching the volume control.  I assumed it had something to do w/ the CEC handshake.  (not that I care, just sayin)

Edited by mastrmind11

No. It is what I stated above.

bungee91

does not affect anything but I may just remove the workaround since it only works some of the time anyway.

+1 to removal, I find this notification obnoxious (came here to search about this... and here we are).

Wait, wait is the workaround related to this thread https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43909-shield-2-muting-receiver-cec-when-playing-movies/page-3?hl=mute ?

If so, I also have this issue (I just moved my Shield from a Tv sound location, to one with a receiver), with CEC volume on Emby loves to mute and unmute sound.

If so, then having CEC sound off gives this popup that is annoying (and I get bad audio/video sync issues over time without enable seeking enabled), and with CEC sound on I get the mute/unmute issues.

I can help to provide logs, etc if it will be helpful.

Crazy, expected to move the Shield to an AVR setup room and all would be sweet... Missing the HTPC that was there (with Theater installed) pretty quickly.

Edited by bungee91

hstamas

If so, then having CEC sound off gives this popup that is annoying (and I get bad audio/video sync issues over time without enable seeking enabled), and with CEC sound on I get the mute/unmute issues.

@@bungee91 could you elaborate more on the above? I am new to the Shield and initially was trying it with Kodi 18 Alpha and was experiencing terrible a/v sync issues (mostly with live tv mpeg2 files) to the point where I completely gave up.

Wonder if what I was seeing is related?

bungee91

@@bungee91 could you elaborate more on the above? I am new to the Shield and initially was trying it with Kodi 18 Alpha and was experiencing terrible a/v sync issues (mostly with live tv mpeg2 files) to the point where I completely gave up.

Wonder if what I was seeing is related?

It'd be premature for me to elaborate much on this, or to assume it is common for others to experience this issue.

My "as-found" setup moving a good working Shield V1 to a new location with a receiver controlled by CEC on the Tv with ARC has been less than "plug and play".

When CEC audio is set to no, and the volume on the shield is set to either fixed or variable, LiveTv playback in a short period of time becomes out of sync (HDHR Prime, Mpeg4 cable channel).

If I click the gear icon when playing LiveTv and enable seeking, the audio sync issue seems to disappear, however attempting to watch Tv for ~2 hours, and the stream stopped, and I was back on the guide entry to "tune to channel", or record, etc.. When I tune back to the channel, I'd have to enable seeking again for this to be in sync over time.

I have not attempted mpeg2 LiveTv, but my OTA stations and HDHR Connects are exactly that. I will know soon enough I suppose.

Sorry to clutter this thread, I still vote no on the annoying shield pop up surround sound notification prompt. Will search for more info, and start my own thread as needed for my other issues.

CBers

I've noticed, that that message always pops up when play is initially pressed, but not after a pause/play.

This is the same with the remote or the controller.

bungee91

Not sure it is, as I've always had that message pop up occasionally ever since I've had my 3 Shield TV's.

Thanks for chiming in, I was tempted to set the shield to surround = no ( to see if the message went away), however I assume then I have no surround (even though Emby is set to direct), which is obviously not my preference.

I've noticed, that that message always pops up when play is initially pressed, but not after a pause/play.

This is the same with the remote or the controller.

I've noticed the same in my testing of Live Tv HDHR Prime Mpeg4 cable channels it is displayed every time I tune to a channel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
latinumking

This message should be gone in the current beta.

I just bought a new shield updated to latest firmware and latest emby version, the message still appears, would be great to have shield with emby have control over sound with shield remote.

Cheers Lati

Gesendet von meinem MI MAX 2 mit Tapatalk

I just bought a new shield updated to latest firmware and latest emby version, the message still appears, would be great to have shield with emby have control over sound with shield remote.

Cheers Lati

Gesendet von meinem MI MAX 2 mit Tapatalk

The system will still give you that message if you haven't configured the device to utilize the volume control.

If you enable CEC for volume and your equipment supports it, then that should work.