Message Plugin [testing]

chef

chef

This is still very new. It is the basics.

But, it would be good to get feed back.

Currently it will broadcast a "modal" message to any client which has that capability.

Note: The popup messages aren't working for some reason...)

Also the saved messages will be able to be retrieved... eventually.

I have code written to broadcast to only certain users, but i commented it out until things seem to working at this point.

I also wrote code (also commented out) which will wait until the user has logged on to a client which has the capability to show the message.

The following clients will show messages:

Webclient

Android App

Emby Theater

Kodi

WMC

Blue neon night (Roku)

FireTV

Please post below if you find any apps which will show the messages. It would be good to get a list of them :)

Note: I'd like to see AndroidTV show messages

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxusg685k3x2fei/Messenger.zip?dl=0

Should be interesting. :)

Edited by chef
  • Like 5

sualfred

Works for Kodi and Emby Theater.

Side question:

Why was it even removed from the remote client control part of Emby?

Edited by sualfred

chef

Works for Kodi and Emby Theater.

Side question:

Why was it even removed from the remote client control part of Emby?

I don't think it was a priority with media playback.

So we can add Kodi to the mix of clients it works on, thanks!

sualfred

Ok. 

Since I hate hitting the context menu of plugins to get access to the settings/options -> Please feel free to use that tile as soon as it's going to be released.

5949038a88ab9_embymessagetile.png

Edit:

By the way -> I would love to see the option to pin plugins to the dashboard sidebar to get the backend more usability. Message is one plugin which def. needs this.

Edited by sualfred
  • Like 1

chef

Ok.

Since I hate hitting the context menu of plugins to get access to the settings/options -> Please feel free to use that tile as soon as it's going to be released.

5949038a88ab9_embymessagetile.png

Edit:

By the way -> I would love to see the option to pin plugins to the dashboard sidebar to get the backend more usability. Message is one plugin which def. needs this.

Very nice tile!

Thank you!

when all the message options are fully implemented I will talk to luke about putting it in the catalog, and that tile will be used :)

I could put it in now, but I really want the ability to save and repost messages to be ironed out. It is almost done :)

Edited by chef

Did not see it listed, so figured I would mention it here. The emby blue neon night app for roku will also work with this plugin, even while playing videos.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

chef

Did not see it listed, so figured I would mention it here. The emby blue neon night app for roku will also work with this plugin, even while playing videos.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Nice! Thanks!

Liquidfire88

Tested this a bit on Emby Theater on XB1, as well as various laptops and users.  seems to work pretty well.  :)  Great Job!!
One little thing, is there any way for it to pause playback of a video currently going until the user hits the "GOT IT" button?

chef

Tested this a bit on Emby Theater on XB1, as well as various laptops and users. seems to work pretty well. :) Great Job!!

One little thing, is there any way for it to pause playback of a video currently going until the user hits the "GOT IT" button?

Yes! I will add that as an option in the configuration of the message.

• Like 1

chef

Hmmm... That's wierd all of a sudden android mobile app is having trouble showing messages.

I was working on getting media to pause playback and android wouldn't show anything.

Edited by chef

gjviii

as an fyi, i just tested this on WMC and it works well.  it also sort of works on the apple app (ipad/iphone), the txt part shows, but the headline does not. 

• Like 1

chef

Getting an error message about invalid characters in path when trying to install from catalog. :(

I'll look at it. I had issues with the admin server. I'll fix it :)

Tolerant

had to restart server after your update, but did eventually get it installed. I look forward to using it, thanks ;)

Liquidfire88

ive been using this without any issue as of yet.  brilliant and super helpful.  the "popup message" option is currently listed as broken in the config page, however everytime i have tried it, it seems to work without issue.  not sure why its listed as broken?  and if something isnt working right with it, is there anything i can do (from an end-user testing point) that i can do to help?

chef

Hey @@Liquidfire88 which Server version are you on? That's great news that popup messages are working again!

I'll try them too and make the appropriate changes to the UI :)

PenkethBoy

Questions :)

with saved messages - could we resend them - could we edit them - could it show the "text" when you click on them etc

also after sending a message the main dialog does not clear so you can send it again but the second send does not add to saved messages list (noticed after deleted the first message then sent the second time saved list did not update)

Liquidfire88

Hey @@Liquidfire88 which Server version are you on? That's great news that popup messages are working again!

I'll try them too and make the appropriate changes to the UI :)

Im on Version 3.2.20.0

chef

Questions :)

with saved messages - could we resend them - could we edit them - could it show the "text" when you click on them etc

also after sending a message the main dialog does not clear so you can send it again but the second send does not add to saved messages list (noticed after deleted the first message then sent the second time saved list did not update)

Yes, each message is saved and resend able.

I set a Boolean which might need tending to, which is why the second message doesn't save to the list. It was suppose to stop a resave if you were to click on the save messages from the bottom, adding duplicate messages.

I am working on a new version in which you can target a user for messages, or target everyone.

You'll be able to save the message to have it automatically send when each user logins in.

So far it all works, but emby doesn't like to send consecutive messages, so I have o figure that one out.

Edited by chef