NextPVR Issue

kingy444

emveepee

But i feel its strange that while emby works fine at 8am after the 730am ingestion it doesnt wlrm at 3pm. Then resyncing that same file from 730 makes the recordings work again

It shouldnt make any difference because the nextpvr epg hasnt changed in those 8 hrs

Did you read my post when I first explained the problem? Your NextPVR update is set for 12pm so between 12pm and 19:30pm the two guides are not in sync.

Martin

emveepee

@emveepee I would love Schedules Direct - Unfortunately not enough demand atm for AUS based service from them. Unless you know something I dont  :)

Sorry I remember it was added in beta, I didn't realize the lack of interest. That is one of the reason I tell North Americans too subscribe and not break the rules with zap2xml etc, losing this service would be awful.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

kingy444

@@emveepee

I did read your post, but confused how the sync at 12pm puts things out, when epg data hasnt changed since 7:30am? The data at 12 should be the same as i only update the xml at 7am?

emveepee

The visible guide data may not e new but the ID number that links NextPVR and Emby will be different and this causes your error. From 12pm to 7pm the xmltv data in Emby is going to be from 7:30am the day before.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

Sorry I remember it was added in beta, I didn't realize the lack of interest. That is one of the reason I tell North Americans too subscribe and not break the rules with zap2xml etc, losing this service would be awful.

Martin

The problem Schedules Direct has in lots of countries is the fact there is a "good enough" EPG available directly from a digital tuner, and it's hard to compete with "free".

I did read your post, but confused how the sync at 12pm puts things out, when epg data hasnt changed since 7:30am? The data at 12 should be the same as i only update the xml at 7am?

Also make sure you don't have "Update DVB EPG During Live TV" ticked, or you might find your EPG is updating at other times. 

Edited by sub3

pir8radio

@@kingy444 I think what they are trying to tell you is that you have two pieces of software that need to refresh their data at various times, so you're going to need to manage that, making sure next pvr refreshes it's data before emby.

@@pir8radio @@Sven this topic re-inforces the idea of turning the next pvr plugin into a dumb tuner source and just having emby manage the guide + dvr features.

When I first started looking into and setting up NextPVR I was surprised that this was not already the case, and surprised how much the NextPVR application was required to do, It was also confusing to me at first as to where the channel images, and guide data would come from.  The Guide update through NPVR is also painful (below image).  I'm all for this, and will the first in line to test! 

594da1fc206d7_Capture.png

Edited by pir8radio

When I first started looking into and setting up NextPVR I was surprised that this was not already the case, and surprised how much the NextPVR application was required to do, It was also confusing to me at first as to where the channel images, and guide data would come from.  The Guide update through NPVR is also painful (below image).  I'm all for this, and will the first in line to test! 

594da1fc206d7_Capture.png

Emby must be doing something super inefficient if it takes 4 hours to download the EPG from NextPVR and to save it in it's database. NextPVR sends the entire EPG to Kodi each time you start Kodi, and only takes a total of 5-30 seconds (depending on number of channels). There is nothing about NextPVR that is taking 4 hours 13 minutes to update the EPG. 

Edited by sub3

pir8radio

Emby must be doing something super inefficient if it takes 4 hours to download the EPG from NextPVR and to save it in it's database. NextPVR sends the entire EPG to Kodi each time it starts, and only takes 5-30 seconds (depending on number of channels). 

There is nothing about NextPVR that is taking 4 hours 13 minutes to update the EPG. 

No, I know next pvr grabs the EPG quickly, it seems to be the interface between emby and npvr that is sluggish.   I have 889 channels, but that should not be an issue.  I previously had emby doing all of the work with an hdhomerun and i liked it.  Not talking bad about npvr!     :)

They should definitely fix that - like I said, Kodi manages to grab the whole EPG in a handful of seconds, so no reason Emby shouldn't be able to do the same.

emveepee

A few possible things Emby grabs it channel be channel, NEWA JSON is slower for the guide then the Kodi api and pir8radio uses WAN. Logs would show where the bootle necks are.

Kodi is not that fast for me it takes over a minute to sync 200 channels on the LAN and I use 2 weeks of SD data not 3. Even NextPVR modern web which uses a similar approach as Emby on the WAN can takes several minutes to load especially if use ipv6 (I believe that is a VPS issue issue). UJB is currently working on on demand loading

Martin

A few possible things Emby grabs it channel be channel, NEWA JSON is slower for the guide then the Kodi api and pir8radio uses WAN. Logs would show where the bootle necks are. Kodi is not that fast for me it takes over a minute to sync 200 channels on the LAN and I use 2 weeks of SD data not 3. Even NextPVR modern web which uses a similar approach as Emby on the WAN can takes several minutes to load especially if use ipv6 (I believe that is a VPS issue issue). UJB is currently working on on demand loading Martin

Do you guys also have something like an etag for program infos or date last modified? That can tell us if the program has changed or not which will allow us to skip re-saving it into the database.

Do you guys also have something like an etag for program infos or date last modified? That can tell us if the program has changed or not which will allow us to skip re-saving it into the database.

You should pretty much assume that all the EPG has been updated since the last update, since that's the way it works with the DVB and XMLTV EPG (used by at least half the users) - with every EPG update you'll get different show IDs etc. So... delete all the listings you have cached, and resave them (rather than trying to conditionally save/update them). ie, you want to be doing a big bulk insert, rather than saving individual shows with separate "insert" or "update" SQL. 

Edited by sub3

pir8radio

@@pir8radio @@Sven this topic re-inforces the idea of turning the next pvr plugin into a dumb tuner source and just having emby manage the guide + dvr features.

Is this still under consideration? Is it something to look out for soon or pretty low on the list?  Just trying to figure out my next steps with liveTV.   

Sven

It's not something that will be available in the coming weeks. Didn't talk or worked at it anymore..

Not a lot of spare time for the moment. :P

pir8radio

It's not something that will be available in the coming weeks. Didn't talk or worked at it anymore..

Not a lot of spare time for the moment. :P

@@Sven are the project files available?

Edited by pir8radio

vaise

I dont think this will help much, but some info from a user also in Australia (we dont have it as good as you guys over the pond) :

My nextpvr does a guide get at 3AM - I never set that, I assume it chose it itself.

Emby was defaulting to every 12 hours from 00:00 - so twice a day.  I deleted that and added just one at 6AM.

For the schedules direct / DVR / xml posts in the thread - The DVB guide from our Australian TV networks is USELESS.  The networks change the title all the time of shows so a repeat record never works - i.e 'xxxx with sneak peak of....'.  They do this I suspect JUST to stop DVR's from working on name series records.  I briefly tried the freexml services but found a channel sometimes would be corrupt (I think it was channel 10 from memory) and the same tv show was shown all 24 hours (some morning TV show I think).  I changed that channel back to DVB for a while but had the same issue with show names being changed on a daily basis.  Also, not all the free xml guide details were updated as they required third party support in guide updates.  I finally coughed up $4 a month for the 'XML guide only' update only from ICETV (an Australian compaby).  They re-write the guide, and have great instructions on auto updating it for nextpvr (same for built in emby update also).  I dont like paying for something just because the TV networks decide to stuff us up but once the wife missed a few recordings of he reality TV shows, It was worth the expense.

Re replacing nextpvr with the emby native app using my old hdhomerun tuners - I did play with it, got a number of issues (reported), and have not had time to re-test it yet - as many new releases of emby since my testing.  I only have a small window each day to flip over, and if I missed any recordings for the wife, then I would be in trouble!  There is a bonus of keeping it separate in that emby does crash from time to time (not often), but nextPVR has never crashed.  Nextpvr has never failed to do a recording, so there is merit in spreading the risk - but then, I rarely if ever watch live TV.

On a side note, iceTV have an integrated service for remote record also (costs a bit more), but nextPVR and Emby don't support that.  I used to use it in the old days when I had beyonwiz and topfield PVR's dotted around the house.  Now I just have an aerial cable in the garage comms cabinet split to 3 x HDHomerun Dual tuners providing 6 channels - we have so little channels in Aus, this means I can records one of every station if I need.  No TV in the house is connected to an aerial.