Green bar on SD channels

speedingcheetah

speedingcheetah

I have noticed when playing back standard definition channels with Emby for Android, their is a green bar on the side of the screen. Both in portrait and landscape mode. Does not do it on HD channels.

Attached image.

Also, the touch swipe option to adjust brightness and volume is still way too sensitive and pretty much not usable. (been that way for some time now)....

post-72185-0-72038900-1497671695_thumb.png

post-72185-0-64703900-1497671703_thumb.png

Edited by speedingcheetah

I don't see it on my test devices but am continuing to test and monitor for it. Thanks.

Spaceboy

I don't see it on my test devices but am continuing to test and monitor for it. Thanks.

hi luke, that is fortunate for you because i see it every single time.

per this https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/37574-green-vertical-line-on-android-tv-only-mkv/ , my experience and other reports ive received, this seems to extend to multiple external services for multiple european countries.

the alternative is to stream the live tv through the server, but the channel start times are twice as long at a rough estimate, the channel plays for a second and then pauses for anything up to 10 seconds before playing normally. thats not really an alternative

is it possible to look at how vlc is invoked to see if something can be done to solve this problem?

Spaceboy

i see elsewhere the discussion on dropping the probe for live tv. i think this will be helpful here as it will allow the internal player to be used rather than vlc

Spaceboy

@@Spaceboy and @@speedingcheetah

We are investigating this. Thanks for reporting the issue. Just be aware that dropping the probe won't affect it one way or the other. thanks !

you didn't read properly. The green line only appears with vlc, but vlc has to be used because of the issues probing causes. Lose the probe and the internal player becomes functional again

vlc has to be used because of the issues probing causes.

Why do you think this is the case?

Spaceboy

the alternative is to stream the live tv through the server, but the channel start times are twice as long at a rough estimate, the channel plays for a second and then pauses for anything up to 10 seconds before playing normally. thats not really an alternative

pünktchen

@@Spaceboy probing takes place if you use VLC or not [emoji6]

@@Luke i don't know if it's the same for Spaceboy, but for me the green bars only occur in the Android TV app, not in the mobile app.

Edited by pünktchen

speedingcheetah

i'm confused.....i am using Emby app itself to stream the channel feed...not an external player....like VLC or MXPlayer.   

pünktchen

i'm confused.....i am using Emby app itself to stream the channel feed...not an external player....like VLC or MXPlayer.

Both Android apps have integrated the VLC player engine.

@@Luke i don't know if it's the same for Spaceboy, but for me the green bars only occur in the Android TV app, not in the mobile app.

Thanks for the info on that !

This is an artifact in VLC of deinterlacing of some content.  Perhaps the mobile app wasn't deinterlacing in the app or maybe there is actually some overscan on the device hiding it..

pünktchen

This is an artifact in VLC of deinterlacing of some content. Perhaps the mobile app wasn't deinterlacing in the app or maybe there is actually some overscan on the device hiding it..

Maybe you should provide some kind of default overscan for interlaced sd content. Most people will not recognize it.

speedingcheetah

This is an artifact in VLC of deinterlacing of some content.  Perhaps the mobile app wasn't deinterlacing in the app or maybe there is actually some overscan on the device hiding it..

But its not deinterlacing....I have never seen the Emby Android app actually deinterlace the few standard def 480i channels i have(no HD versions of them for some reason). I still see the scan line effect.  I posted about that observations some time ago, but it never got resolved. 

When i set an external player, MX Player loads the stream and deinterlaces fine...no green bar.

Spaceboy

fair enough! But if it's not the probe that causes the delays on stream starting, what is it? The green bar was annoying me so much I'm using the internal player now but these pauses on start up are not great either

Spaceboy

But its not deinterlacing....I have never seen the Emby Android app actually deinterlace the few standard def 480i channels i have(no HD versions of them for some reason). I still see the scan line effect. I posted about that observations some time ago, but it never got resolved.

When i set an external player, MX Player loads the stream and deinterlaces fine...no green bar.

I'm not certain what the effects of this should look like but I have noticed horizontal lines coming out of moving objects on these sd channels, I think that's something to do with interlacing? It's not a great picture

pünktchen

fair enough! But if it's not the probe that causes the delays on stream starting, what is it? The green bar was annoying me so much I'm using the internal player now but these pauses on start up are not great either

Without VLC the stream probably gets either transcoded or remuxed by ffmpeg. Just look at your taskmanager.