Internet connection required for MB3 + Roku?

DigitalFool

DigitalFool

This is more of an informational question - my internet took a dump last night and when trying to launch MB3 channel on Roku, it couldn't find the server. My internal wireless network was fine - could ping and connect to the server fine.  Just curious if there is a internet check requirement on the Roku somewhere that prevented MB3 from working? Once my modem rebooted and got back online, it was fine again.

Koleckai Silvestri

The Roku may be checking to see if the channel needs activation by trying to contact your account at Roku.com.

Follow up question, did MB3 work with other devices? What Wayne suggested makes sense and this could help narrow it down to whether or not it was an MB issue or a Roku issue. A planned internet outage test might be in order ;)

Koleckai Silvestri

I can try a test for the server, theater, classic and iPhone sometime this week in the very early morning before people wake up. Turning off the internet in the house is a big deal bordering on the apocalyptic. 

The Roku however is an internet device. It is designed to operate and function with an always on Internet connection. It states in its minimum requirements that a broadband internet connection of at least 1.2 Mbps is needed.

The channel itself does not do any external internet calls. It just calls the server. So assuming you used a local IP address on the server setup, then it should only look locally. That isn't to say the Roku itself doesn't look outside to the Roku servers. I'm not really sure on that. I know it does from time to time to check for software updates.

DigitalFool

Yeah, I did not check from my phone while I had the outage - like I said, all internal network activity was fine. In my case, all I had setup was my local machine and it failed. As stated above, an easy test :)  but probably unwelcome to others  :P

It would make more sense if it was a Roku issue because of the internet requirement.

The roku works without internet. I've had this happen several times with wonderful at&t adsl. The broadband and service lights both out, but the ethernet and wifi continue to stream locally just fine. The roku doesn't even hiccup during these times for me. My usenet downloads and torrents do though ;)

Of course, if you use some way to externally manipulate your ip so you can watch over the internet. Then yes, since it was set up that way it will require an internet connection.

Edited by speechles