Recordings failing when converting to mkv when recording (video preserved)

docrob

docrob

Hi,

I have 2 hdhomerun so 4 tuners. When I convert to mkv but preserve video (so just encode audio) I find recordings just stop on their own quite randomly (I think it may just be with multiple simultaneous recordings). If i try and record 3 or 4 streams at same time I can see that the tuners do not always get allocated and sometime only 1-2 recordings show on web interface (which seems to correspond with whether tuner marked as watching or available). Sometimes it shows 3 or 4 but then within 10-20 seconds 1 or 2 recording will just stop. If I go back to TV guide it still shows 4 recordings marked to record even though only 1-2 actually recording. If i try and cancel recordings often they don't cancel properly and still show as recording even though they're not recording.

Also noticed some of the mkv recordings can be made up of multiple mkv files rather than 1 complete file.

Server is on windows 7 with i5 CPU.

If I disable convert to mkv I can record in native TS format then all works fine. No problem recording up to 4 tuners. Recordings never stop prematurely.

Log files attached.

Thanks,

Rob

Record Transcode_Failed Recordings.txt

Server_Failed Recordings.txt

What if you uncheck the preserve video option and let it transcode, does it have an issue then? thanks.

docrob

Hi.

seems to work fine if I do full transcoding and uncheck preserve video option although my CPU has benchmark of 6700 so don't expect it to record 4 simultaneous streams. Preserving video is excellent for my needs as low cpu usage and plays back directly on my Samsung TV.

docrob

Is there a different version of mmpeg I can try?

And what would be the postprocessing command if I wanted to transcode just the audio and remux video to mkv (so does exactly the same as transcoding whilst recording but preserving video).

Thanks

maegibbons

This has been reported before by myself and @@Spaceboy and @@CBers as well I believe.  Would be nice to either get it resolved or just to nail it as "not possible".

Krs

Mark

CBers

I use the "Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format" option, but not the "Preserve original audio when converting recordings" option, as it used to caused the creation of small files, but I haven't tried it lately.

CBers

I use the "Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format" option, but not the "Preserve original audio when converting recordings" option, as it used to caused the creation of small files, but I haven't tried it lately.

OK, just tried recording with both of the preserve settings on, separately and then both together, and I no longer get the multiple small files created.

I'll keep monitoring though.

docrob

Thanks for the input both. Nice to know it's not just me. For me preserving video but not audio is exactly what I want as less cpu intense and files playback on all clients well.

Hopefully dev team can update this thread shortly. Thanks again. Rob

OK, just tried recording with both of the preserve settings on, separately and then both together, and I no longer get the multiple small files created.

I'll keep monitoring though.

Thank you @@CBers

docrob

Thank you @@CBers

Sorry but multiple small files still happen to me. Is ot to do with the net framework on windows that is installed with emby?

docrob

Hi.

Sorry for the delay in replying. And thanks for showing interest in my issues.

I have 2 HDHomerun devices. Both were updated to latest firmware when I installed them. Not sure why it's beta as I haven't enabled "install beta FW" or anything like that. Is this FW ok?

Model: HDHR4-2DT

Firmware: 20170612beta1

If I am not able to convert to mkv and preserve video during the actual recording process would you be able to give me the ffmpeg command line that does the same so I can just run it on the ts file recording once it's finished. That would be really helpful otherwise I'll be spending a good few hours with trial and error!

Thanks, Rob

docrob

Hi All/Luke,

Is anyone able to write me a ffmpeg windows command line that remuxes ts file to mkv but reencodes audio (ideally doing exactly what Emby does when you convert to mkv but preserve video.

And Luke,

Shall I recreate the issue with recordings failing when convert to mkv (and preserve video) is selected and send you log files.

Thanks.

Rob

You can just grab it from the recording log, such as the example you posted earlier.

docrob

Hi Luke,

Thanks for replying.

Maybe you can just grab it from the recording log but not sure I can.

Do I need all of what I've pasted below. Looks more like a script than a basic command line batch file. Don't really understand scripting, sorry.

Thanks,

Rob

{"Protocol":"Http","Id":"ac377a44b72f412aa0388c2dab564a93_native_d2641d05c313341848eade778af364b0_a25f7b187c8c8766f3de532155f92d65","Path":"http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/4726d3fbc0fd442ab6850c480488d38a/stream.ts","Type":"Default","Container":"ts","IsRemote":false,"ReadAtNativeFramerate":false,"IgnoreDts":true,"IgnoreIndex":false,"GenPtsInput":false,"SupportsTranscoding":true,"SupportsDirectStream":true,"SupportsDirectPlay":false,"IsInfiniteStream":true,"RequiresOpening":true,"RequiresClosing":true,"SupportsProbing":true,"BufferMs":0,"RequiresLooping":false,"MediaStreams":[{"Codec":"H264","NalLengthSize":"0","IsInterlaced":true,"BitRate":15000000,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Video","Index":-1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false},{"Codec":"AAC","DisplayTitle":"AAC","IsInterlaced":false,"BitRate":448000,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Audio","Index":-1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false}],"PlayableStreamFileNames":[],"Formats":[],"Bitrate":15448000,"RequiredHttpHeaders":{}}

C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\ffmpeg\20170308\ffmpeg.exe -async 1 -vsync -1 -fflags +igndts -analyzeduration 5000000 -i "http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/4726d3fbc0fd442ab6850c480488d38a/stream.ts"-t 00:23:51.543 -codec:v:0 copy -fflags +genpts -map_metadata -1 -threads 0 -codec:a:0 aac -strict experimental -ab 320000 -sn -y "G:\Emby DVR Recordings\The Supervet\Season 9\The Supervet S09E09.mkv"

ffmpeg version N-83781-g3016e91 Copyright © 2000-2017 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 6.3.0 (GCC)
  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-cuda --enable-cuvid --enable-d3d11va --enable-dxva2 --enable-libmfx --enable-nvenc --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libilbc --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenh264 --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-libzimg --enable-lzma --enable-zlib
  libavutil      55. 48.100 / 55. 48.100
  libavcodec     57. 82.102 / 57. 82.102
  libavformat    57. 66.103 / 57. 66.103
  libavdevice    57.  3.100 / 57.  3.100
  libavfilter     6. 74.100 /  6. 74.100
  libswscale      4.  3.101 /  4.  3.101
  libswresample   2.  4.100 /  2.  4.100
  libpostproc    54.  2.100 / 54.  2.100

mastrmind11

C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\ffmpeg\20170308\ffmpeg.exe -async 1 -vsync -1 -fflags +igndts -analyzeduration 5000000 -i "http://127.0.0.1:809...d38a/stream.ts"-t 00:23:51.543 -codec:v:0 copy -fflags +genpts -map_metadata -1 -threads 0 -codec:a:0 aac -strict experimental -ab 320000 -sn -y "G:\Emby DVR Recordings\The Supervet\Season 9\The Supervet S09E09.mkv

docrob

Great. I will test later. If you're right then you are very true to your name. Many thanks in anticipation.

Can I just check, if I am trying to run it on a ts file (not a stream) after it's finished being recorded do I remove this bit "-analyzeduration 5000000 -i "http://127.0.0.1:809...d38a/stream.ts"-t00:23:51.543" so it would be:

C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\ffmpeg\20170308\ffmpeg.exe -async 1 -vsync -1 -fflags +igndts "FILE_PATH" -codec:v:0 copy -fflags +genpts -map_metadata -1 -threads 0 -codec:a:0 aac -strict experimental -ab 320000 -sn -y "FILE_PATH.mkv"

Or do I need to keep the -analyzeduration 5000000 -i part as well?

Thanks,

Rob

Edited by docrob

docrob

Hi,

If anyone can let me know the exact command line for ffmpeg that would be appreciated. Currently am trying to use it on a HDHomerun UK Tuner generated ts video file. I have tried for most of today with no success. I keep getting various errors but would be nice to know I had the correct command line first.

Have managed to get success with handbrakeCLI but prefer ffmpeg as less CPU intensive.

Thanks,

Rob

Then maybe what you want to do is just record without conversion so that you can minimize the cpu cost, and you can pay that cost later with server transcoding during playback (if needed).