Can't access external USB Drive, on Xfce Mint

chris_debian

chris_debian

Hi, all.

I'm a new convert to Emby, and am running it on a RasPi 3, with DIetPi. I have an external USB drive attached to the Pi, and all my media libraries are set up nicely.

When I was using Plex, I would open the Thunar file manager, which had a shortcut to smb://192......./<my media>. I don't seem to be able to do this with my new set-up, so m concerned about how I will easily move new media (TV, etc) onto the external drive.

I have included an excerpt from my RasPi /etc/fstab, and can see reference to the USB drive; for the life of me though, I can't figure out how to see this in a file manager.

#NFS Client Mount--------------------------------------------------
#/mnt/nfs_client . Please use dietpi-config and the Networking Options: NAS menu
 to setup this mount
UUID=127AC1F27AC1D2A1       /mnt/127AC1F27AC1D2A1      auto     defaults,noatime
,nofail,x-systemd.automount  0 0
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
#   use  dphys-swapfile swap[on|off]  for that

The IP address (and port) the my RasPi is 192.168.1.64:8096

Any help appreciated, for what looks like the beginning of a beautiful relationship with Emby :-)

Many thanks,

Chris.

mastrmind11

Can you see/access the drive from the command line of the pi?  From where are you trying to access the drive otherwise?

chris_debian

The Emby server on the Pi sees the HDD, and I've created media libraries; what I can't do, is see the HDD on the local network, so that I can copy media from my main PC, via the file manager, to the USB drive.

Will go and have another look.

Thanks,

Chris.

chris_debian

Having just looked at the DietPiconfig mnu, I realised that Samba wasn't installed, which is probably why I can't see the USB drive, in my file manager. This is now installed, but still no luck. I think the answer is in this line of the RasPi /etc/fstab:

#Samba Client------------------------------------------------------
#/mnt/samba . Please use dietpi-config and the Networking Options: NAS menu to setup this mount

This Samba guide may help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba/SambaClientGuide

Got to dash back to work, now. Will try to look at this, when I get home.

Cheers,

Chris.

mastrmind11

That was going to be my next suggestion, and most definitely the reason.  

mastrmind11

Still unsuccessful. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Chris.

What have you tried?  List out what you've done so we don't suggest stuff you've already tried.

chris_debian

Hi,

The main problems is that /media doesn't exist, so I created it and made the USB directory under it. My concern is that as part of the Emby setup, in DietPi, is that I used an option to move some files to USB, as it improved performance. I don't understand how the FS works.

When it got to the UID and user bit, I wasn't sure whether root was the right user. Finally, when I looked at /etc/fstab, I already seem to have something that's trying to mount the drive, suggesting that there's another reason for not seeing it in the file manager, on my main PC. I could try installing Nautilus, or another file manager.

Sorry!

Chris.

tdiguy

If you don't want to set up samba you could use filezilla, which can use SFTP so it runs over ssh. Only other thing you might need to do is enable root to login via ssh.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk