new roku app wont launch

robert powell
Go to solution Solved by robert powell,

robert powell

I apologize if this has been asked, but i could not find a thread that appeared to address this issue. I have 3 televisions. 2 use a Roku stick and one is a TCl with Roku built in. emby worked fine on all 3 until you released the new version of it. after installing it , it still works fine on the tcl TV but it never gets passed the initial load screen on the two Roku streaming sticks. Dont know if there is a way to fix this issue or not, but I was wondering if there was a way to down grade to the old emby app if there is no fix .

robert powell

i can find a "software version". I am assuming this is the same thing, as i cant find anything labeled firmware. software version says 7.6.0 build 4125-24 and the model is 3600x. I went ahead and told it to check for updates, and it stated that it was already up to date.

hi @@robert powell, as a test, can you try removing all emby apps from the Roku, making sure to clear application data in the process of doing so.

Then please install the app again and see if it starts up. I am curious if clearing the application data may resolve it. Thanks !

Yes, I was just about to suggest the same thing as Luke.  Please try that and see if it makes a difference.  If not, perhaps you could create a Connect user for me (ebr) on your server and I can try and connect to it to see if it may be something related to the server connection as opposed to the device.

flcruising

i can find a "software version". I am assuming this is the same thing, as i cant find anything labeled firmware. software version says 7.6.0 build 4125-24 and the model is 3600x. I went ahead and told it to check for updates, and it stated that it was already up to date.

I hope you get them working because my Roku stick 3400M seems to have trouble with the new app. At random times while playing it will start skipping/shuttering then reboot. No server side log files are generated.

My wife hasn't committed to using the new app on the other stick (3500X), so I don't know if it exhibits the same issue.

If you don't have trouble once you perform the reset as mentioned, then the 3600X might be my upgrade choice.

@@flcruising

This is probably the memory issue, when the video player runs under 25MB free space it causes unpredictable behavior, ie eventually lockup/reboots. The 3400 only has 256MB of ram. The 3500 should not have the problem. It has the same 512MB ram as a roku 3. You might want to post on the roku forums in their "general" section and explain the video player stutter/reboot with emby using your 3400 so it can be noted and possibly remedied. Emby isnt to blame here.

Roku "general" link:

https://forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=28

Edited by speechles

robert powell

@@robert powell were you able to try this? thanks !

I have not had time .... last couple weeks have been eat - sleep - work - repeat ... lotd of overtime. hoping to get to it some time in the next couple days. 

robert powell

Yes, I was just about to suggest the same thing as Luke.  Please try that and see if it makes a difference.  If not, perhaps you could create a Connect user for me (ebr) on your server and I can try and connect to it to see if it may be something related to the server connection as opposed to the device.

Well ... To begin with, as I said the old app worked fine ... The new one doesn't ... at first I thought it was because of something in the beta, but when the final version was released it was not fixed. As far as setting up a login for you to remote connect, that in itself is another issue. I have never been able to successfully connect from any device outside of my home network. I am guessing this is due to the way My ISP has their hardware set up. We have Fiber connect, and have no modem. We just plug a network cable directly into a jack in the wall. And when I try to configure port forwarding on my router, the options are unelectable in my settings (grayed out). I am guessing this is because in the main box out side of the apartment building they have it all split off of a router there. The only thing is, other things that normally need some type of port forwarding set up for outside connections (mainly bit torrent clients) work fine. So Basically I am saying in an overly complex way, sorry I can not make this happen for you.

Did you try completely uninstalling the app and re-installing it?

It sounds like maybe you are running on IP v6 internally.  Possible it is related to that as well somehow.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution
robert powell

Did you try completely uninstalling the app and re-installing it?

It sounds like maybe you are running on IP v6 internally.  Possible it is related to that as well somehow.

Sorry, I Left town for a few days, and when i got back i completely forgot to let you know that uninstalling and reinstalling fixed the issue. it works fine ... other than the interface lags a bit, which i am assuming is because the sticks have less ram and slower processor than my roku tv has .. but other than that all is well now. I do have one other issue . i had the emby app on my android phone ... it worked great at first, but now it freezes up every time i launch a movie from it ... if i am lucky ebnough to get any thing to play it freezes and crashes if i touch any buttons (i.e. play pause fast forward).

• Like 1

Thanks for checking back in.

Please create a new post in the Android mobile forum for your other issue and I'm sure we can get it sorted as well.