A few questions from new Emby user

docrob

docrob

Hi,

Just finding my way round emby. I have also paid for emby premiere to test it out properly.

Just 2 questions if that's ok.

1. If you pay for emby premiere do/can you get a free 7 day UK freeview EPG. Or does premier not include anything extra to do with EPG support (just gives you 7 day viewing of whatever EPG service you use)?

2. If not, are there any reliable 7 day UK freeview xmltv urls

3. Or should I add one of the additional services. Are any of those free with good epg support and any extra features you get with them.

4. Is time shifting a feature now. I seem to be able to start a recording whilst it's in progress. Maybe it's because I'm transcoding it as I record. Need to do some testing but was surprised it allowed me to play an active recording.

5. Not all covers downloaded for well known shows somhad to search manually. The library structure was fine with plex. Do I need to change it (perhaps remove dots/dashes between words). Is Emby more fussy than plex or do I need to change the database search settings or something.

Thanks,

Rob

arrbee99

Doubt if this'll help much as I live on the other side of the planet, but for me, using DVB-S in New Zealand I get a 7 days TV guide fine. I think you use DVB-T ? If you get an OTA guide then it 'should' be picked up OK.

If you're using a HDHomeRun that should work well with Emby, as it's Emby's native tuner. If using a TV card, like me, then you need a separate program, like NextPVR. Make sure that's working fine, then add the NextPVR plug-in to Emby to get TV working.

You can use xmltv but don't know anything about it.

Does do time shifting, but again, I tend not to use, so don't know much about it.

If youi mean it gets live TV shows covers wrong, for me, it just happens. For instance NZ breakfast TV usually puts a UK breakfast TV image. If you can get a good TV guide, with good embedded info then you should be fine. If you mean covers for your own movies and TV shows it generally does pretty well. There's a wiki somewhere with naming conventions for Emby. Generally if there's any confusion put the year in brackets, as in 'Ben-Hur (1957)' or whatever.

Am sure someone who knows what they're talking about will chime in soon, if they haven't already.

maegibbons

Emby premiere comes with no guide data.

Schedules Direct has line ups for UK freeview and works out at about £26 per annum.

Thats the way most people go because it works well here in the UK.

Krs

Mark

paulsalter

I would definitely recommend using Schedules Direct (they have a 7 day trial)

Works very well for Freeview channels

Not sure how Emby natively handles tv, i have always used NextPVR, but a big plus of this is it handles multi recordings with a single tuner, so i can record for example itv, ch4 & ch5 at the same time with one tuner (Emby might natively do this but not looked into it)

Edited by paulsalter

docrob

Thanks Paul and Mark,

I have hdhomerun UK dual tuner but was surprised to see emby didn't alert me when I recorded 3 programs simultaneously. Previous DVRs (plex, sorry for swearing!) alerted you to the fact that you couldn't record 3 channels if you only had 2 tuners. I had 5 recordings all saying recording last night but 3 of them not actually recording. Is there a setting I am missing?

Interesting about NextPVR needing only 1 tuner for dual recording. I may look into that. Does it come with EPG or am I just going to have to accept £20 per year subs. I am inherently drawn towards lifetime subs - monthly/yearly regular payments put me off although lifetime is only as long as software continues or until technology changes so not infinite by any means!

Rob

paulsalter

As default NextPVR gives you the OTA EPG (cant remember if this need enabling, but this is totally free)

Depends how much information you want from it, the OTA one is missing most of the Season/Episode numbers, which for me made it totally useless, this was over a year ago so it might have improved

Schedules Direct is well worth a try, if you try the default freeview first, then you will see how much more there is with SD

maegibbons

Yes there is no warning if you try and record more than two channels, however you can get multiple HDHR boxes and it will spread the recordings over multiple units.

Krs

Mark