Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

Jdiesel

Does Netflix not do some type of preprocessing to determine where the intro ends and inserts a marker? I don't see how this would work unless there is a chapter marker already in the video itself. Also I don't know how it would work with shows that have cold openings.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

Liquidfire88

the way ive seen it work on netflix, is that it is show specific.  so shows that have cold openings, or the intro is delayed after part of the actual show dont utilize this feature.  i assume it works something like chapters.  

• Agree 1

Jdiesel

the way ive seen it work on netflix, is that it is show specific.  so shows that have cold openings, or the intro is delayed after part of the actual show dont utilize this feature.  i assume it works something like chapters.  

Gotcha. I may be wrong but I believe MCEbuddy is not only able to remove commercials from recorded TV but also insert chapters at the end of show intros. I don't use the software but if it is able to do it there is no reason it can't be done elsewhere.

Liquidfire88

Gotcha. I may be wrong but I believe MCEbuddy is not only able to remove commercials from recorded TV but also insert chapters at the end of show intros. I don't use the software but if it is able to do it there is no reason it can't be done elsewhere.

ok, so if i download MCEbuddy and manually add the chapter to each episode for the shows i want, how then, would i get Emby to skip to that first chapter automatically during playback?

Jdiesel

ok, so if i download MCEbuddy and manually add the chapter to each episode for the shows i want, how then, would i get Emby to skip to that first chapter automatically during playback?

I don't believe the option to auto skip exists but depending on your client it may be as simple skipping the chapter manually with a single button press.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Devdroid

Bringing this back from the dead since I just started watching a new show with a really annoying intro :)

Another option besides auto detection would simply be allowing for people to manually set the intro start/end time based on each TV show. A meta value in other words.

I'm not sure, but I think that most TV shows have the same intro length carrying over between seasons, so there would probably be no need to set it based on each season ( unless you wanted it to be 100% bulletproof)

Set TV show intro: 

Start: 1m 15s

End: 2m 5s 

Any thoughts on that solution? Would it be tricky to add? 

I think it would be much appreciated! Especially for shorter TV shows. Can get a bit annoying having to skip forward/backward until you find just the right spot :)

Edited by Devdroid
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
jblaze12

Bringing this back from the dead since I just started watching a new show with a really annoying intro :)

Another option besides auto detection would simply be allowing for people to manually set the intro start/end time based on each TV show. A meta value in other words.

I'm not sure, but I think that most TV shows have the same intro length carrying over between seasons, so there would probably be no need to set it based on each season ( unless you wanted it to be 100% bulletproof)

Set TV show intro: 

Start: 1m 15s

End: 2m 5s 

Any thoughts on that solution? Would it be tricky to add? 

I think it would be much appreciated! Especially for shorter TV shows. Can get a bit annoying having to skip forward/backward until you find just the right spot :)

I would love this! Please implement, be a killer feature better than plex!

• 2 months later...
Deathsquirrel

I added a like, this would be a wonderful thing to have.

It's the best feature Netflix has added in ages.  It almost makes up for their freaking autoplay when you hover over a show.  OK, it doesn't.  Nothing makes up for that.

• Like 3

Deathsquirrel

Even without having data for this? 

THe only way I see it being possible is to allow a metadata value to be set for a season that is the number of seconds to skip ahead when using this function.  I'd then figure out how long the intro is for that season and add it.

The real problem is how to access that function on something like a shield.

I'm not convinced it's practically possible.  I'm definitely convinced I want it to be!

• Like 2

Devdroid

Could emby create it's own database with intro lengths, based on the values we users add? That way everyone wouldn't have to do it for all of their shows. Could be based on checksum. 

Edited by Devdroid
  • Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Could emby create it's own database with intro lengths, based on the values we users add? That way everyone wouldn't have to do it for all of their shows. Could be based on checksum. 

Checksum wouldn't work as most reencode their videos to save space.

You could have a central DB of that info but if you wanted to do it that way your best bet is likely to work to get the metadata value added to tvdb or tmdb.

It sounds to me like a value you'd probably have to configure for each series, along with a system-wide default of course.

• Like 2

samuelqwe

I've always wanted to try building a DB with an API for this purpose, but I think there would be so many different variants of a show it would be hard to always have proper timing for this. I wouldn't be able to finance a website like that either, but maybe someone else could do it.

Edited by samuelqwe

I really don't think this would be practical without a way to automatically determine the proper values.  Most people simply would not take the time to enter them manually.

Also, I'd say more than 50% of the shows I watch have their "intros" 3-4 minutes into the episode.

• Like 3

jblaze12

I really don't think this would be practical without a way to automatically determine the proper values.  Most people simply would not take the time to enter them manually.

Also, I'd say more than 50% of the shows I watch have their "intros" 3-4 minutes into the episode.

I suggest being careful with the idea of "practical". My samsung tv emby app broke and has been broken for the last week with no date in sight for when it'll be fixed. This is a few weeks after I paid a lifetime subscription. The answer is "it'll be updated..." and "install the synology beta but first request it." 

From an end user that wants stuff to just work and updates to not destroy the app for weeks (or months?), "practical" is very subjective.

The option to go, episode by episode and create my own in's and out's per blu-ray or dvd-rip doesn't seem "practical" for some but it would be a killer app feature that keeps up with the already dated feature of netflix (well beyond plex). Furthermore, I'd love to be able to share those ins and outs with other users just like you guys did an amazing job being able to quickly and easily change cover art from within the app and see what the community voted the favorite. When I saw that feature I thought you guys were actually innovating but to some it may be a waste of time.

• 6 months later...
CChris

Hi,

wouldn't it be an Idea, to implement a special "Chapter" Title for Identifying an Intro?
Then, it would be possible for the user - to set this chapter while ripping / encoding TV shows from their Discs...

There are ways to edit existing chapters - so you could just create a new Chapter for the Intro - and emby detects if this "special" chapter is available or not.

If yes, and the user has set the "skip intro" flag for this TV show, the Software could just skip this one chapter.

Maybe, this would also be possible for Outros...

• Like 1

crusher11

If there's a chapter marker there, you could just hit the 'next chapter' button. No need for anything specific to Emby.

CChris

If there's a chapter marker there, you could just hit the 'next chapter' button. No need for anything specific to Emby.

But you would need to do this for each episode.

What I would imagine is to have this as a setting for the whole show or at least for the whole season.

Emby would then skip the intro automatically for each episode.