Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

samuelqwe
5 minutes ago, neik said:

Look what I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8DspCeO4gA

It's from November but iirc it's the youtube channel of @chef 🙂

Ah yes, I remember this clip being shared here a while back when @chef first started trying to detect intros by simply using black frame detection

Just now, crusher11 said:

@chef Did you ever end up managing to look at Psych? 

Unfortunately, there are definitely going to be series where it will be not possible to detect intros. Another one is the new WandaVision series. Each episodes intro is different. I haven't been able to detect intros for either series. 

I did however write a quick editor to allow users to add the timestamps in manually. I figured if 80-90% of the libraries could be detected, it would at least cut down on the input (this is not optimal).

We also saw issues with the Mandalorean. 

3 minutes ago, chef said:

I figured if 80-90% of the libraries could be detected, it would at least cut down on the input (this is not optimal).

Definitely, 80-90% is way better than starting at 0%. If you need people testing it, just hit me up.

crusher11
On 2/20/2021 at 1:17 AM, chef said:

Unfortunately, there are definitely going to be series where it will be not possible to detect intros. Another one is the new WandaVision series. Each episodes intro is different. I haven't been able to detect intros for either series. 

I did however write a quick editor to allow users to add the timestamps in manually. I figured if 80-90% of the libraries could be detected, it would at least cut down on the input (this is not optimal).

We also saw issues with the Mandalorean. 

If it fails completely on Psych, then it probably needs tweaking TBH. I would expect it to fail on the "gimmick" episodes, but surely it'd be able to pick up everything else?

7 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

If it fails completely on Psych, then it probably needs tweaking TBH. I would expect it to fail on the "gimmick" episodes, but surely it'd be able to pick up everything else?

Yes exactly.

crusher11
5 minutes ago, chef said:

Yes exactly.

I'm confused. Your previous post said you "haven't been able to detect intros for either series." That implies zero intros were found.

This post implies most, just not all, intros were found.

Which is true?

samuelqwe
38 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

I'm confused. Your previous post said you "haven't been able to detect intros for either series." That implies zero intros were found.

Which is true?

It should work for those standard episodes if they’re usually using the same intro, because the way the intro detection currently works is it tries to detect common audio at the beginning of two episodes. So as long as there is at least two episodes in the season where the intro audio is the same, it should work for those episodes.

I think @chef was just generalizing by saying that some series might not work with the current method, due to some shows not having a recurring intro.

1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

Which is true?

Yes, sorry. If the season has two episodes with the same intro, they will be detected. This goes for any other  intro in that season which is the same or similar.

If an episode has a unique style of intro, it will not be detected because it won't match anything else in the season. 

Wanda vision for instance doesn't repeat an intro ever. This means that although it has episode intros they can not be detected, and would have to be manually edited. 

The series you mentioned has different intros, and some repeating ones. Anything repeated in the season will be (most likely) detected.

The issue I experienced with the Mandalorian was that there was an intro, then a recap, and finally the chapter intro. The detection algorithm mis recognized some. Hence an editor was needed.

Depending on how things move forward (with the newest versions of ffmpeg in the  server has chromaprint capability) we can spend time on the editor and perhaps try and show thumb images for more then one detected intro point in a stream (it might make editing the data easier). Of course that's if we get the band back together, and we can figure out how to return more then the first intro detection. 🤟

I'm testing the new ffmpeg and the algorithm tonight to get things working in the plugins scheduled task. 

If that it easy, then we can work on the config page and editor.

• Like 3

I'm quite sure you've already thought about it but it would be nice to be able to narrow down (e.g. by filtering) those episodes that still need to be edited manually.

Once again thanks for all the effort you (guys) are putting into it, it's very much appreciated. 🙂

• Like 1

im wondering, which method use plex? in plex intro skipping works fine...so have they a lot of people searching manually and to push it then via update to the client...or how do the do it?

tested first 5 episodes from Wandavision

Edited by Lomnar
added info

13 hours ago, Lomnar said:

im wondering, which method use plex? in plex intro skipping works fine...so have they a lot of people searching manually and to push it then via update to the client...or how do the do it?

tested first 5 episodes from Wandavision

That's a good question.  

Makes me wonder if there is a data base somewhere like subtitles.

Most subtitle databases use dirty internet names to compare what kind of encoding you have. 

Someone should make that online resource.

rbjtech

tbh @chef if the rip was done properly in the first place with chapter points (with one before and after the intro..) AND emby implemented chapter skipping on all their clients (not just Android) - then a single button is all it needs to skip the intro anyway..

On shows where they dump the intro randomly into the show somewhere - the same applies - you see the start of the 'intro' you just hit chapter skip.

If your plugin can simply identify and add these missing chapter points - then I think this will be a must have plugin :)

Is there a Beta to help you test ?  Nevermind - found the DLL - having a play with it now.

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech

Very impressive ! :)

I've only tested on a couple of shows and episodes - The 100 and Game of Thrones.

For the 2nd episode in GoT, it didn't pick up the intro, but did on the others and the intro is definitely there.

Do you want any logs/media file or is this expected at this stage with this beta ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Nevermind - found the DLL - having a play with it now.

Could you tell me where, please?

Would also like to have a look at it.

Thank you!

rbjtech
1 minute ago, neik said:

Could you tell me where, please?

Would also like to have a look at it.

Thank you!

https://github.com/chefbennyj1/Emby.IntroSkip/releases

Install as you would a plugin.

My advice would be to create a TEST emby instance with just a few TV shows - as there is no way to tell it what to scan at the moment !... 

My beta uses my main TV shares - which err.. caused a bit of 'wtf is it doing moment...' 🤪 

Hence the above comment .. 

• Like 1

rbjtech

May I ask what the plan is once you have the intro data ?

Is it to actually automatically skip this section or just add chapter points (or both lol)..

Thanks.

Capture.PNG

Edited by rbjtech

Hey guys those releases on GitHub are old versions too. It is better now. 

I'll update the GitHub, and post a download here. 

Edited by chef

here:

IntroSkip.zip

It should be mentioned that the new version of emby will use ffmpeg to detect intros. So things will change again.

If you install this, please be aware that it is still in it's infancy. It saves data in the plugin configuration folder which is not ideal, and will most likely change in the future.

If you aren't sure about how the inner workings of emby folder structures are laid out, I would probably skip trying this out.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Very impressive ! :)

I've only tested on a couple of shows and episodes - The 100 and Game of Thrones.

For the 2nd episode in GoT, it didn't pick up the intro, but did on the others and the intro is definitely there.

Do you want any logs/media file or is this expected at this stage with this beta ?

If you change the settings to encode a longer section of the stream it will pick up GOT. Try setting the stream a couple minutes longer then default. 

Remove the current false intro detect, and run the task again.

• Like 2

rbjtech
1 hour ago, chef said:

here:

IntroSkip.zip 5.22 MB · 0 downloads

It should be mentioned that the new version of emby will use ffmpeg to detect intros. So things will change again.

If you install this, please be aware that it is still in it's infancy. It saves data in the plugin configuration folder which is not ideal, and will most likely change in the future.

If you aren't sure about how the inner workings of emby folder structures are laid out, I would probably skip trying this out.

ok great thanks - I'll update to the newest version.

I saw all the files in the plugin folder so no issues there.  What 'got me' is the multi-thousand episode scan that I inadvertently kicked off without really understanding what it did - this is because my beta server points to the same media as my live system.  So I had to kill that process and setup another instance with just a few shows - I just wanted to see how accurate it was and was pleasantly surprised.  :)

Is the plan to incorporate this into the live stream somehow (ie pop up a 'skip intro' type function) or could you set to skip automatically for example ?  Just curious.  I would have been happy with just the chapter marks. haha.

Great work once again 👍

Edited by rbjtech

samuelqwe
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Is the plan to incorporate this into the live stream somehow (ie pop up a 'skip intro' type function) or could you set to skip automatically for example ?  Just curious.  I would have been happy with just the chapter marks. haha.

The plugin is mostly in a proof of concept phase to show that it’s possible to detect intros automatically fairly well, so the data currently isn’t really used by anything.

Eventually, I think the goal would be to have a Netflix-like “skip intro” button, but that’s not something a plugin can add and would require work by the Emby team to add it into clients. Perhaps chapters is doable in the meantime, but there are only a few clients that let you skip chapters during playback.

Hopefully, as @chef improves the plugin, we can get to a point where it works well enough to get implemented natively by Emby.

• Like 3