Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

seanbuff

This is great, now let's see if the Emby devs can beat Amazon Prime to it  ;)

rechigo

This is great, now let's see if the Emby devs can beat Amazon Prime to it  ;)

We still haven't even seen forget next up so don't count on it :(

Edited by rechigo

Sammy

the way ive seen it work on netflix, is that it is show specific.  so shows that have cold openings, or the intro is delayed after part of the actual show dont utilize this feature.  i assume it works something like chapters.  

I know for a fact that The Office fits this description and you can skip the intro. There would need to be some sort of marker in the file to do this reliably.

adamstewiegreen

I didn't add a like to this before because all the suggested ways of going about this problem were cumbersome or required a lot from the end user, but now I've added my like to this because I think the Plex solution is a reliable and reasonable way to achieve the desired result.

Deathsquirrel

It's an interesting solution to the problem.  Kudos to the plex team for thinking of it.  Hopefully it's not patented if it works ;)

Mkilbride

Man I want this so bad.

But it'd have to be user edited and that'd take forever. If only there was a magical way. Some series I have, have ordered Chapters and that's cool and all...but the ones that don't, I'd be shit out of luck.

That is an interesting solution.  Hardly foolproof but probably not bad.  I guess we'll see in practice.  I assume this does not work with the content they are providing through partner deals (I imagine content providers wouldn't really like it that much) since it requires an analysis of at least a major subset of the items.

Deathsquirrel

That is an interesting solution.  Hardly foolproof but probably not bad.  I guess we'll see in practice.  I assume this does not work with the content they are providing through partner deals (I imagine content providers wouldn't really like it that much) since it requires an analysis of at least a major subset of the items.

Unless you can store at least a couple IDs per season, it also won't work with shows like the Simpsons that have a long and short intro as needed to accommodate the other content.  Still, it could be pretty good if implemented well.

Mkilbride

I think for anime it could work well. It could recognize when the OP / ED plays due to them always consistently having them. Of course, in episodes with after-credit scenes and episodes that use the song as a self-insert in certain scenes, it might cause confusion.

But it's a good idea for sure.

kaj

It's working very well on Plex. I've been binge watching Star Trek TNG, so very episode starts with a variable length beginning, then the intro, then continues...it picks out the beginning of the intro perfectly on every episode.

Would like to see it on Emby too, as it's pretty neat. Emby works much better, for some reason, at transcoding files for my remote users, and it's pretty easy to hit forward 30 seconds to get past intros, so I'll stick with Emby, but a neat feature none the less.

Edited by kaj

Mkilbride

I'm seeing a lot of examples of dozens of TV shows and it working perfectly. Holy shit, I figured it would be a real kind of hit or miss thing...but it seems like 90%+ of shows are working exactly as you want them to.

Sammy

Seems to be another project for @@softworkz but I'm pretty sure he's busy on other important things right now.

There's only a few developers for Emby and they are all working very hard on improvements. A lot of things are in development and personally I find Emby to be much better than Plex and I have lifetimes for both. I quit bothering with Plex well over a year ago as I found their LiveTV implementation cumbersome at best and just like Emby better all around..

• Like 1

CyberPoison

In wish progress it's in the skip intro on emby (Android,Android TV,iOS,LGWebOS,Web,TIzen,XBOX,etc...)  ?

and also something to skip credits and intro looks like plex have done it already :(

Edited by CyberPoison

Mkilbride

There's so much else that needs to be done first.

Sure, I'd LOVE for this feature. Everyone would. It'd be incredible. But honestly...they got so much else to do first, I don't expect it soon. I've watched several software projects before and something like this takes a lot of time and manpower.  I wouldn't be shocked to hear PLEX was working on it for 2-3 years.

Edited by Mkilbride
  • Like 1

Mkilbride

Wow. I just gave this a shot with a free 30 day trial of Plex Pass.

It is amazing for anime. Most anime have a 90 second intro at the start; or a minute or two after the start...this works perfectly as I expected. For broadcast TV like The office as well, works as good as Neflix's does. Probably be years before Emby could get a feature like this, if it does....but damn, for binge watching, it's useful.

Damn. It's actually super accurate. Even with anime that have cold opens and then an intro a few minutes later. I'm almost tempted to back to Plex because it's just super nice...but I hate Plex's UI and all the ads and shit everywhere...blech.

Edited by Mkilbride
  • Like 2

rechigo

And Jellyfin apparently is halfway into a working implementation of this

Emby is falling behind... At least to the naked eye, maybe the devs are working on something behind the scenes..

• Like 1

Sammy

As this requires some work with ffmpeg it may be a little bit of time due to other things in progress.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

neik

As this requires some work with ffmpeg it may be a little bit of time due to other things in progress.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Don't know what is being worked on but betas haven't gotten released as regular as they used to.

So, we might have (big) news incoming or it is just due to the general situation right now.

• Like 1

Dibbes

We still haven't even seen forget next up so don't count on it :(

Amazon Prime already has this. Not sure how they're doing it, but I was re-watching some episodes of House on Prime and it gave me the option for every episode except the first of the season...