Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

Sammy

Some shows change the intro during the season. IMHO it is worth it to watch the intro on those types of shows. Most don't though and skipping the intro would be great. Netflix has an army of programmers and maybe they use AI to find when the intro ends?

• 2 months later...

There are several possibilities:
 - A manual tagging of the intro and the end of the episode in collaborative, and for the checksum we can use the exact duration of the video ?
- Automatic detection thanks to subtitles and the approximate duration of the introduction ?

Btw i highly doubt that netflix will detect introduction automatically.

• Like 1

I'm definitely not going to go in and tag thousands of TV episodes in my library. This has to be automatic if at all and seems it will be hard to detect. Commercial detection is about 90% accurate in my experience and there's better cues, even flags in the video file, to search for.

Jdiesel

The way Netflix works for me is that when prompted I need to hit the "up" arrow to select skip intro then "ok" to confirm it. On Emby, Android TV app, when the intro starts I hit the "right" button to skip 30 seconds forward or sometimes twice for 1 minute intros. Same number of button clicks.

In my experience the average intro length is 30 seconds. Now maybe it is just me but I would much rather hit the skip button than go in and manually timestamp the intros for each show and sometime each episode. Maybe when a database with an open api exists this would be more feasible, to each their own though.

Edited by Jdiesel

You could start an API which people could contribute to. Just set all media items to 30s, then as people contribute to each episode it would be more exact.

SeriesName: "string",

Season: int,

Episode: int,

IntroDurationTicks: ?long,

IntroStartDurationTicks: ?long

Even with diffetent encoding the intros duration is not going to change, and just to be clear Netflix's option to skip the intro does not appear right away. The OSD pops up about 2 seconds after the stream starts, so following that lead, emby should wait two seconds to show the OSD with the option.

I think it is possible. The community is large enough to create such an API endpoint.

If people submit changes to the API for durations, the API should take the average of what as submitted to make a decision on what it should be.

(DurationSubmission + CataloguedData) / submissionsRate

Just an idea... Host it in GitHub and let everyone submit... The Wikipedia of intro duration data.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
heciruam

Couldn't we have a learning system that registers people skipping parts in the first quarter of the episode? If multible users do that, you average out the timings and you found the intro/recap.

Edited by heciruam

I suppose but I also see that resulting in a lot of troubleshooting for us. I think it would it would have to be a configurable default value along with a per series override.

• Like 1

rechigo

I suppose but I also see that resulting in a lot of troubleshooting for us. I think it would it would have to be a configurable default value along with a per series override.

I have a couple of shows that change the intro on a per-episode level, so that should be configurable as well

Basically: Configurable on Series, Season, and Episode level

• Like 1

Jdiesel

You would be much better off trying to get one of the existing metadata provider to start tracking this, like tvdb. Why do all the work yourself when it can be done once by a bunch of users and used by everyone?

rechigo

You would be much better off trying to get one of the existing metadata provider to start tracking this, like tvdb. Why do all the work yourself when it can be done once by a bunch of users and used by everyone?

If you even got them to add it, you'd still have to deal with the fact that multiple versions of the same episode exist which won't always have the exact same timestamp

neik

Also asked for this some time ago...

I still would love to have this even if it would mean to have to edit every single episode/movie.

+1

• Like 2

crusher11

If you have to edit every episode and movie to make it work - which is the only way it can be done, really - just put a chapter point there. Done.

• Like 1

neik

From what I hear WAF would be better with skipping intro option as it is way more comfortable than having to select chapters, that's what I get as feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
miniliQuid

I like most of my intro's :D  the annoying ones I'll skip manually

Automating it will be hard, since some shows even have different timings before the intro starts.

Will be very good for some shows (though for me personally that will be only for very few shows), but I can see this being somewhat troublesome, skipping a little too soon or too late will have you missing a line of text already.

neik

I like most of my intro's :D the annoying ones I'll skip manually

Automating it will be hard, since some shows even have different timings before the intro starts.

Will be very good for some shows (though for me personally that will be only for very few shows), but I can see this being somewhat troublesome, skipping a little too soon or too late will have you missing a line of text already.

Well, if one would like to use this one would have to make sure the intros are marked correctly. But once it's done all next clients would benefit from this.

The Admin should be able to decide whether (s)he wants to offer this or not, depending on the quality of the files.

cnstarz

I am in complete support of this request.

For those that are saying that it's impractical for the admin: who cares? Put a two-sentence explanation that Emby cannot automatically determine the correct time values and that clears it up. Additionally, it's entirely optional, so it's up to the Admin anyways as to whether or not they want to fill in the values for their shows. Additionally additionally... Default values of "0" and "0" could tell Emby not to display the "skip intro" button for that episode.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Devdroid

https://support.plex.tv/articles/skip-content/

Oh, look at that. It is possible, easy to do and available on plex. I remember asking about this in 2018. Hope emby can catch up!

Holy cow, that's so cool. 

Has anyone tried it? Is the method they're using reliable? 

(Not sure about the easy part though, probably took them a while :) ). 

Edited by Devdroid

Jdiesel

On the bright side Plex adding a feature is usually the signal for Emby to start working on it.

• Like 4

jblaze12

(Not sure about the easy part though, probably took them a while :) ). 

Was talking about the user experience.

Has anyone actually tried it or just going from their marketing announcement?

jblaze12

Has anyone actually tried it or just going from their marketing announcement?

After years of waiting, I'm just happy a developer paid attention and executed something.

https://www.plex.tv/blog/go-ahead-and-skip-that-intro/

You can read the 30+ comments talking about it since being announced a few hours ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/gndt86/go_ahead_and_skip_that_intro/

400+ comments with many talking about their user experience.

rechigo

This looks nice! Plex looks like they're automatically detecting them without any user intervention

Going to be testing this out eventually

Sent from my Galaxy S10

Edited by rechigo

Devdroid

The secret ingredient is creating an audio “fingerprint” out of the histogram of each episode in a given season of each TV show. It turns out that the vast majority of show intros share common audio signatures for all their episodes (at least for a specific season). After applying some heuristics and a little bit of Special Sauce™, we’re able to predict (in almost all cases) precisely when the intro starts and ends. Voila! Get precious minutes of your life back, one episode at a time.

--https://www.plex.tv/blog/go-ahead-and-skip-that-intro/

That's a pretty neat solution. 

Edited by Devdroid

Jdiesel

Sounds like to works similar to AcoustID but for videos. I will try it out later as it seems like to needs to run a scan on the db first.