Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

rbjtech
6 hours ago, chef said:

I think that in time we will be pleasantly surprised by what the core version will have to offer for intro skip. Having the methods implemented in the core will inevitably create faster scans, which will be enough of a bonus for me to use it specifically.

I would be interested to know the stats around this @chef.   In my early tests, the Plugin was equally as fast as the Core - taking into considering it is only doing less than half the work the Plugin is doing (Intro's only, no credits,  no black frame detection) and it is using a much smaller FP size of 10 minutes - meaning it misses many of the Intro's that start later (a recent trend).  Also, once up to date - adding episodes in not even noticeable for me now, the plugin just works transparently in the background.  

As you and I know, the key bottleneck of any Chromaprint technology is getting the fingerprints in the first place and then reading the source to compare it against - this isn't going to substantially change in the Core - there may be some efficiencies, sure, but this is still a large task for any substantial media collection when you are first building the data.  This is actually yet another advantage of having cloud FP metadata - you don't need to 'guess' where the intro is - you know, because it's part of the metadata.  ie if the Intro to a show always starts at the very beginning - then your FP length only has to be lets say 2 minutes, rather than 15 or 20 minutes worth.

Edited by rbjtech

crusher11
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

There are two possible paths for the future of the Introskip Plugin -

a) Embu Core add the ability for us to use the 'Button' via the standard API without even enabling the Core Introskip feature.  This may be fully functional today - technically it's easy, we just haven't fully investigated yet.    This would mean the Plugin writing it's Intro 'data' partially to the Core - we can't write all of it because the Core is, as I understand it, not doing Credit Detection but this may change.

b) The Introskip plugin is abandoned as a Beta and we wait for the Core to introduce all the essential features the Plugin had.  This Plugin was not developed in isolation - we had a LOT of testers and a LOT of feedback on what features to add/tweek.

I don't know any of the under-the-hood stuff, but surely once the markers get updated, we should be able to turn on the Core implementation and use that to provide the button, while ignoring the Core's scanning capability? I've already scanned with the plugin, and made a few further tweaks, so surely it's possible to simply have those markers present themselves as the correct type for the Core, and have the Core handle the button?

rbjtech
14 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

I don't know any of the under-the-hood stuff, but surely once the markers get updated, we should be able to turn on the Core implementation and use that to provide the button, while ignoring the Core's scanning capability? I've already scanned with the plugin, and made a few further tweaks, so surely it's possible to simply have those markers present themselves as the correct type for the Core, and have the Core handle the button?

Yes, something along those lines.  By simply turning off the Core schedule you could do that - but we want to play nice and work with the Core team to find an agreeable solution.  If the API is allowing us to update the chapters (and I see no reason why that would not be allowed) then as you say, it's simply a case of importing the Intro data that's already in the Introskip Plugin (with your manual edits etc) and the button will appear.  Any new episodes added or further edits via the Plugin will modify both the Plugin dB AND the core chapters, the Core will not work to detect them, because it's schedule is turned off.

It just needs working out.. ;)

Painkiller8818

It would be nice to get a version .97 so we can skip intros again.

As you said, they are starting to implement but this could also mean for the next 2 years no introskip.

So maybe we get an update so we can use it till somewhen the core devs release this function (maybe)

rbjtech
1 minute ago, Painkiller8818 said:

It would be nice to get a version .97 so we can skip intros again.

As you said, they are starting to implement but this could also mean for the next 2 years no introskip.

So maybe we get an update so we can use it till somewhen the core devs release this function (maybe)

Yep - we are on it - if you need to continue to use the Plugin, then .38 Beta is as far as you can go.

datanet

I'll stay on .38 Beta until there is a working update to this plugin.  This is the first time in years I have disabled auto update on my Emby server since I now consider autoskip an expected and essential feature.  My OCD is kicking in a little not being on the latest greatest version of Emby, but meh...I have a working autoskip and that is far more important to me.  I for one don't care about the manual skip button but can certainly see where it might be preferred and useful to others.  I trust the detection enough to allow it to just automagically skip through the unnecessary parts.  I can't count the times I've smiled when binge watching or catching up on a few episodes and bam, end credits skipped, intro skipped and I'm on my way to watching the next episode.  Not a nanosecond wasted and I didn't have to reach for the remote to press a button (like I have to do with my streaming services).

Personally, I truly hope the two can co-exist and this plugin evolves more in to an "autoskip +" or "autoskip enhanced" version where proof of concept features can be added and tested outside of the stripped down and limited core version.  I'm a dreamer, what can I say.  Hell, I'd even go so far as to say the "enhanced" plugin should become a paid plugin.  Uhh...where do I pay?

Edited by datanet
  • Like 3

Cheesegeezer
24 minutes ago, datanet said:

I'll stay on .38 Beta until there is a working update to this plugin.  This is the first time in years I have disabled auto update on my Emby server since I now consider autoskip an expected and essential feature.  My OCD is kicking in a little not being on the latest greatest version of Emby, but meh...I have a working autoskip and that is far more important to me.  I for one don't care about the manual skip button but can certainly see where it might be preferred and useful to others.  I trust the detection enough to allow it to just automagically skip though the unnecessary parts.  I can't count the times I've smiled when binge watching or catching up on a few episodes and bam, end credits skipped, intro skipped and I'm on my way to watching the next episode.  Not a nanosecond wasted and I didn't have to reach for the remote to press a button (like I have to do with my streaming services).

Personally, I truly hope the two can co-exist and this plugin evolves more in to an "autoskip +" or "autoskip enhanced" version where proof of concept features can be added and tested outside of the stripped down and limited core version.  I'm a dreamer, what can I say.  Hell, I'd even go so far as to say the "enhanced" plugin should become a paid plugin.  Uhh...where do I pay?

Love it mate!! Some really great feedback and it’s very much appreciated. Thank you!!

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
14 hours ago, datanet said:

I'll stay on .38 Beta until there is a working update to this plugin.  This is the first time in years I have disabled auto update on my Emby server since I now consider autoskip an expected and essential feature.  My OCD is kicking in a little not being on the latest greatest version of Emby, but meh...I have a working autoskip and that is far more important to me.  I for one don't care about the manual skip button but can certainly see where it might be preferred and useful to others.  I trust the detection enough to allow it to just automagically skip though the unnecessary parts.  I can't count the times I've smiled when binge watching or catching up on a few episodes and bam, end credits skipped, intro skipped and I'm on my way to watching the next episode.  Not a nanosecond wasted and I didn't have to reach for the remote to press a button (like I have to do with my streaming services).

Thanks for the open and honest review - many including myself feel the same way - I'd be 'what?' now if I had to watch an Intro or credit sequence !.

So good news is the issue is being looked at, the potential bad news is the new emby release may have broken things more than we thought ... (and not just Introskip) .. We'll give updates when we know more.

For the moment though - I believe .38 is very close to the latest release and beta in terms of end user functionality - I think it's missing the new TV way of doing things, but I don't believe it adds anything significant from a functional perspective from what I read on the Blog..

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

rbjtech

update 19/05/2022

So we are internally testing 0.0.2.0 now with the .40 Beta and initial impressions are good.     To note, this is just a fix release to play nice with the new Core Introskip chapter format, it does not add any other functionality at this time.

We have yet to test with the .60 Release version but will do so as soon as we can but believe that will have issues.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

crusher11
24 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

update 19/05/2022

So we are internally testing 0.0.2.0 now with the .40 Beta and initial impressions are good.     To note, this is just a fix release to play nice with the new Core Introskip chapter format, it does not add any other functionality at this time.

So it doesn't allow using the core implementation to bring up the button based on plugin data? I would have thought that would be the logical result of altering the format. 

rbjtech
20 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

So it doesn't allow using the core implementation to bring up the button based on plugin data? I would have thought that would be the logical result of altering the format. 

46 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

To note, this is just a fix release to play nice with the new Core Introskip chapter format, it does not add any other functionality at this time.

crusher11

Right, I see that, but without knowing how everything works under the hood I would have expected updating the chapter format to automatically make the chapter points readable by the core, which triggers the button.

So what's actually happening to make the chapters compatible, but not readable?

Cheesegeezer
9 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Right, I see that, but without knowing how everything works under the hood I would have expected updating the chapter format to automatically make the chapter points readable by the core, which triggers the button.

So what's actually happening to make the chapters compatible, but not readable?

Until the core move their code from being chapter markers(which was used for testing) to the actual skip point markers, this is as far as we can go as far as co-exisiting and pre planning for the future.

As you can see below.....  Title sequence and chapter 2 (Plugin are outside of the Core Chapter Markers - Intro Start/Intro End) - this is done purposefully on request of Eric.

image.thumb.png.a7910f352059820e43e0368f80d2c9c6.png

CBers
22 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Title sequence and chapter 2 (Plugin are outside of the Core Chapter Markers - Intro Start/Intro End)

Why is there a 2s difference between the plugin and core?

Which one is correct/wrong?

The core side needs to provide more information on why an episode doesn't have an INTRO START/END marker.

• Agree 1

rbjtech
1 hour ago, CBers said:

Which one is correct/wrong?

The core side needs to provide more information on why an episode doesn't have an INTRO START/END marker.

I believe @Luke said they are using them as a visual indicator for when the 'Skip Intro' button SHOULD appear and disappear.

They are not really 'chapters' but marker points - as they have the same Start and End time.

ie - in the example above 'Intro Start' is @ 05:00 and it ends at 05:00 - 'Intro End' is at @ 05:23 an it ends as 05:23

So as 'chapters' they are not functional, as they are not meant to be.

On the other hand, the Introskip Plugin Chapter is functional as it has it's Start @ 4:58 and it's end @ 5:25 - with 'Chapter 2' being modified to accommodate.

So if you really wanted to (lol) you could click on the 'Title Sequence' chapter - and it would play the Title Sequence .. 

In the Core Introskip - The actual mechanism for when to show the button (and/or auto-skip when that comes along..) is a HIDDEN markertype that you cannot see on the Chapters list - this matches the above Intro Start and Intro End timings.

CBers
11 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

In the Core Introskip - The actual mechanism for when to show the button (and/or auto-skip when that comes along..) is a HIDDEN markertype that you cannot see on the Chapters list - this matches the above Intro Start and Intro End timings

Eric has left the markers visible in the Android TV app currently, but I assume they will be removed at some point.

So as 'chapters' they are not functional, as they are not meant to be.

They are functional.  They just won't be visible when this feature releases (for a number of reasons).

2 hours ago, CBers said:

So you don't have two chapters at exactly the same time confusing the system.  Since we don't plan to have our markers visible in the UI, the plug-in is trying to create visible chapters for the same thing.

ZSZQ
15 hours ago, rbjtech said:

update 19/05/2022

We have yet to test with the .60 Release version but will do so as soon as we can but believe that will have issues.

Can I apply for the test?😆

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, ZSZQ said:

Can I apply for the test?😆

Haha

sorry we have a closed group that know the history. 

Thanks tho

ZSZQ
11 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Haha

sorry we have a closed group that know the history. 

Thanks tho

All right

Looking forward to good news😁

datanet

So...was the Introskip 1.0.0.0 plugin that just got automatically updated on my system from the core version or from an update to 0.0.1.96 that was installed?  Since the 0.0.1.96 seems to have been overwritten by this new 1.0.0.0 version, I'm going to assume this is the updated plugin version?  That's awesome that it automatically updated the plugin since, thus far, it had been a manual process to copy the dll  from this thread to the plugin folder.

rbjtech
1 minute ago, datanet said:

So...was the Introskip 1.0.0.0 plugin that just got automatically updated on my system from the core version or from an update to 0.0.1.96 that was installed?  Since the 0.0.1.96 seems to have been overwritten by this new 1.0.0.0 version, I'm going to assume this is the updated plugin version?  That's awesome that it automatically updated the plugin since, thus far, it had been a manual process to copy the dll  from this thread to the plugin folder.

Update from 0.0.1.96 ..

• Like 1

datanet
2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Update from 0.0.1.96 ..

I'm also assuming it's now safe to update to 4.8.0.0 Emby Server?

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, datanet said:

I'm also assuming it's now safe to update to 4.8.0.0 Emby Server?

Not tested .. I've only tested to 4.7.0.60 .. as I've just seen the update myself.

But you need to make sure the Core Introskip is turned off if using the Plugin .. ;)

rbjtech
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

Not tested .. I've only tested to 4.7.0.60 .. as I've just seen the update myself.

But you need to make sure the Core Introskip is turned off if using the Plugin .. ;)

sorry - 4.7.0.40 is the last tested Release version - .60 is the beta .. that has been tested as well.

I have not tested 4.8.x.x Release.

There is a LOT going on !