Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

I have to agree with fallenwitch3r here.

Apart from storage usually not being that big of a deal, once you have verified the intros are correct you can disable the option and let it extract them on-the-fly again.
I think, for verification this would be real benefit.

But, I am repeating myself, you already know my view on that. 🙂 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Cheesegeezer

This would actually need to be done as a Scheduled task rather than a switch.  As it would take time to go thru and extract each thumb for the episode.  Which would be intro start, intro end and end credit so 3 thumbs.  

a switch to display the thumbs would be better on the UI, so if enabled FFmpeg runs it's course.  If disabled, ffmpeg and your cpu can have a rest ;) 

• Confused 1

fallenwitch3r

You can do so much more with this plugin.

Using your mechanics like audio fingerprinting opens the door for commercial skip on recorded TV shows or a skip recap feature.

A themed style like the Netflix skip button which is in many languages.

Or a play next episode button which is not using a static countdown like the the emby one. The next episode can start a few seconds after the end credits has started.

I would really love to see this features 

• Agree 1

fallenwitch3r
8 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

This would actually need to be done as a Scheduled task rather than a switch.  As it would take time to go thru and extract each thumb for the episode.  Which would be intro start, intro end and end credit so 3 thumbs.  

Only for the first scan.

8 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

A switch to display the thumbs would be better on the UI, so if enabled FFmpeg runs it's course.  If disabled, ffmpeg and your cpu can have a rest ;) 

I don't think this is the best option. Maybe you can built in three options.

1. On the fly (default)

2. Disabling generation

3. Preview generation and save the previews to HDD

Edited by fallenwitch3r

rbjtech
7 minutes ago, fallenwitch3r said:

You can do so much more with this plugin.

Using your mechanics like audio fingerprinting opens the door for commercial skip on recorded TV shows or a skip recap feature.

A themed style like the Netflix skip button which is in many languages.

Or a play next episode button which is not using a static countdown like the the emby one. The next episode can start a few seconds after the end credits has started.

I would really love to see this features 

Yep - All of these are already in development, a few are in testing - we just haven't released them yet as we need to focus on the core Intro capability first ;)

• Thanks 1

fallenwitch3r
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Yep - All of these are already in development, a few are in testing - we just haven't released them yet as we need to focus on the core Intro capability first ;)

I just want you to know what your plugin can do 👍

• Like 1

rbjtech
1 minute ago, fallenwitch3r said:

I just want you to know what your plugin can do 👍

No thanks for the ideas !

It's the usual problem of having too many great ideas, but not enough time to implement them !

Remember - none of the IntroSkip dev's are Emby staff - they all have full time jobs and are giving their free time to develop this awesome plugin ;)

• Like 3

fallenwitch3r

I know that and I just want to say thank you for your great work.

Btw. I updated to the new version and I can say it is working on emby for windows, on  emby for Android and on emby for Android TV.

The skipped button is so big and green on emby for Android TV. I hope you guys can fix that. 😂

It is not working on emby using Google Chrome or Opera.

Maybe you can change the translation for the German language.

It says "Einführung übersprungen".

Unbenannt.png.1737ab33ff72cd599ca6f0f415b3679e.png

It's more modern when it says "Intro übersprungen"

Edited by fallenwitch3r

Painkiller8818
16 minutes ago, fallenwitch3r said:

It says "Einführung übersprungen".

Unbenannt.png.1737ab33ff72cd599ca6f0f415b3679e.png

It's more modern when it says "Intro übersprungen"

Yes absolutely, i am from austria and would recommend to translate the german also to Intro übersprungen.

You can't just do a 1:1 translation of english to german, we all say Intro to it.

• Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer

Yeah... my suggestion was to just give the user a text box and they can write in what they want to display.

"Binging Enabled"

• Like 1

fallenwitch3r
16 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Yeah... my suggestion was to just give the user a text box and they can write in what they want to display.

"Binging Enabled"

Good Idea. 

Can you guys create a plugin which display  the contents and rating on start of each episode?

Netflix, Disney and Amazon has such overlay. It shows if the running episode include violence, flashing lights, rude speech and it shows the age rating.

• Like 1

rbjtech
2 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

Yes absolutely, i am from austria and would recommend to translate the german also to Intro übersprungen.

You can't just do a 1:1 translation of english to german, we all say Intro to it.

Blame Google Translate - that's where I got the translations from !

But thanks, a human touch always provides a much nicer translation :D

• Like 1

Painkiller8818

I've now installed the latest version and tested the already detected shows. This is working well.

I just started the audio and intro detection again because some shows still don't have intros.

This is a bit weired because there are tv shows with always the same intros.

Another thing i was thinking today:
I don't know the exact technical details how this plugin detects the intros but isn't it possible to use the GPU for the Intro sequence detection? Isn't this something like video detection and comparison??

This would speed up the task a lot

BillOatman
3 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

I've now installed the latest version and tested the already detected shows. This is working well.

I just started the audio and intro detection again because some shows still don't have intros.

I don't know the exact technical details how this plugin detects the intros but isn't it possible to use the GPU for the Intro sequence detection? Isn't this something like video detection and comparison??

It uses ffmpeg I believe for a lot of the grunt work.  I think ffmpeg can use a gpu for encoding/decoding/transcoding.  Not sure if ffmpeg can use a gpu for the things this uses it for.

rbjtech
30 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

Isn't this something like video detection and comparison??

This uses a technology called Chromaprint which is an AUDIO comparison.  The bulk of the processing time is actually used up creating the 'Fingerprint' - which is a 'summary' of an entire portion of Audio per episode - say the first 15 minutes of a 60 minute show.   This is pretty CPU intensive task to create this - I'm not 100% - but I don't think this would lend itself well to being a parallel task - this is where GPU acceleration shines. 

The only way to speed up the entire process, is more threads coupled with more disk I/O that can keep up with the demand ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Painkiller8818 said:

When the detection misses the episodes intros, it could have to do with were the intro is positioned in the stream as well as slight variances in the audio.

Are the intros that are missed later in the stream?

After the 10 minute mark, by chance?

Painkiller8818
1 minute ago, chef said:

When the detection misses the episodes intros, it could have to do with were the intro is positioned in the stream as well as slight variances in the audio.

Are the intros that are missed later in the stream?

After the 10 minute mark, by chance?

No not all of them. EG Knight Rider is always right at the beginning.

• Thanks 1

Painkiller8818

What i found in my log right now are a bunch of these messages:

2021-12-08 15:35:51.072 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Schlagabtausch because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.073 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Fracht aus Hongkong because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.182 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Eine Körbchengröße mehr because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.182 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Schnitzeljagd mit Nerds because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.182 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Ostereier im Juni because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.182 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Tritte unter dem Tisch because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.183 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Ein erfreulicher Fehler because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.183 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Der Proton-Ersatz because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.

They are from Big Bang Theory

2 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

What i found in my log right now are a bunch of these messages:

2021-12-08 15:35:51.072 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Schlagabtausch because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.073 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Fracht aus Hongkong because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.182 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Eine Körbchengröße mehr because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.182 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Schnitzeljagd mit Nerds because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.182 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Ostereier im Juni because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.182 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Tritte unter dem Tisch because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.183 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Ein erfreulicher Fehler because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2021-12-08 15:35:51.183 Info ChapterImagesTask: Stopping chapter extraction for Der Proton-Ersatz because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.

They are from Big Bang Theory

My guess is that it is the task flagging the end of the chapters, and it is probably okay.

but @Cheesegeezer will know for certain.

rbjtech
8 hours ago, fallenwitch3r said:

The skipped button is so big and green on emby for Android TV. I hope you guys can fix that. 😂

It is not working on emby using Google Chrome or Opera.

Yea the big green info message is a big ugly we agree - but that is the default notification message - we don't have any direct control over this.  Hopefully ebr can tone it down a bit !

I have checked Chrome, Edge and these work fine - check that you don't have multiple windows or tabs open - as Introskip will only work on the 'active' one as emby unfortunately sees all the tabs as the same 'session'.

fbrassin

Sorry, but which is this latest version of the plugin that skips intro.

I'm using version 22, but it doesn't skip. Is there a new one? If yes, where is it?

Tnx

3 hours ago, fbrassin said:

Sorry, but which is this latest version of the plugin that skips intro.

I'm using version 22, but it doesn't skip. Is there a new one? If yes, where is it?

Tnx

It's going to be released shortly. Just had to make sure we had some good results.

Painkiller8818
7 minutes ago, chef said:

Just had to make sure we had some good results.

To this i can say something, even if my PC can handle 8 sessions, i have much better results with only using 4 sessions.

Now i have Intros where i had none with 8 or 6 sessions.

EG: my problem show knight rider has been detected 100% perfect for the intros, i only had to edit some Outro sequences as they kick in a few seconds to far on about 5% of the episodes

Edited by Painkiller8818

15 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

To this i can say something, even if my PC can handle 8 sessions, i have much better results with only using 4 sessions.

Now i have Intros where i had none with 8 or 6 sessions.

EG: my problem show knight rider has been detected 100% perfect for the intros, i only had to edit some Outro sequences as they kick in a few seconds to far on about 5% of the episodes

Then we should put a hard limit at 4.

@Cheesegeezer, @rbjtech

It makes sense to have quality over quantity... I think.

If a lower scan rate is proving more successful, then should we cap the threading?

We would still have the xml config, for extreme cases, could be edited to increase the detection rate manually. However, the UI should cap at 4.

Edited by chef
  • Agree 1

Painkiller8818
2 minutes ago, chef said:

Then we should put a hard limit at 4.

@Cheesegeezer, @rbjtech

It makes sense to have quality over quantity... I think.

If a lower scan rate is proving more successful, then should we cap the threading?

But i have "only" 8 physical cores, maybe someone has a server with 24 cores. But yes, i have much better results with 4 sessions