FFMPEG Version for Version 3.2.20.0 Server

blade005

blade005

@@Luke,

What is the version of FFMPEG that should be installed and used as System Installed Version with 3.2.20.0 of Emby Server?

Reason I ask is that I have two (2) folders in ffmpeg folder of Emby install. One dated 20160410 that has FFMPEG and FFPROBE and one dated 20170308 that is empty.

When I check in TRANSCODING section in Dashboard it shows that I am pointing to the 20160410 path with USE A CUSTOM VERSION selected. I don't recall setting up a custom version path. If I try to select USE SYSTEM INSTALLED VERSION and try to save selection it shows an error saying it can't find the FFMPEG path entered. I didn't enter a path, but I am assuming that Emby is looking for the path of FFMPEG System Installed Version, that I don't have installed.

I guess I just would like to know what the current System Installed Version of FFMPEG is and how I can get back to installing it and having Emby recognize it.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

I figured I would just shut down Emby and remove the two ffmpeg folders and re-install stable Emby from website. Did that and it installed a 20170308 folder for FFMPEG and FFPROBE. But, it still has it set up as a CUSTOM VERSION path. Is that how it should be set up in Emby and it will adjust this as newer versions are implemented? Perhaps the USE SYSTEM INSTALLED VERSION is not what I would think of as the default for Emby installs. If I select SYSTEM INSTALLED VERSION I still get an error stating it can not find the FFMPEG path.

Edited by blade005

Thanks for the feedback. You get an error because you don't have a system installed version that is globally accessible via Path environment variable.

blade005

Thanks for the feedback. You get an error because you don't have a system installed version that is globally accessible via Path environment variable.

@@Luke,

Does that mean USE CUSTOM A VERSION is the default for use within Emby? A SYSTEM INSTALLED VERSION would be one that could be installed and used inside or outside of Emby ecosystem?

Just wondering about when there is an update to FFMPEG version in future Emby Server releases. Will Emby adjust this custom path to the updated version of FFMPEG? Or, is there some adjustment I need to make to insure that future updates are automatically accounted for?

Thanks.

nagetech

I just wanted to ask (not looking to hijack the thread) but I also have those 2 folders, the 2016 being populated and the 2017 being empty.

Is there a way to download/install the 2017 version?

Thanks!

nagetech

So if I download the 2016 folder and restart the server, it will download the 2017 version without me doing anything?

Happy2Play

If you delete your existing one then on next startup it will redownload.

So if I download the 2016 folder and restart the server, it will download the 2017 version without me doing anything?

Yes, just tested this and it downloaded 20170308.

nagetech

Just confirming it worked for me too ;) Curious to see now if I notice any differences or improvements.