Seek is broken in latest release

adam1010
Go to solution Solved by adam1010,

adam1010

@@ebr -- Have you received reports of playback regressions on v2.9.07?  I've been watching Emby videos on my phone for many months so I think this bug was introduced recently.

Example:

1) I'm watching a video and I'm 15min in and I want to rewind a few minutes so I show the seek bar and then I tap earlier on the timeline

2) The video pauses for about 15 seconds

3) The video resumes playing at like 23min in  (so it went to a different time than I clicked, in this case it even went forward instead of backwards)

I also tried pausing the video, changing the seek location, and hitting play -- at which point it began playing from the beginning of the video.

Thanks!

EDIT:  The situation I described about pausing the video and it restarting the video at the beginning -- actually it was starting at the beginning of NEXT episode. So by trying to seek it bailed on the episode altogether and started playing the next episode.

Edited by adam1010

adam1010

@@Luke Did you test with Android 6.0?  The app becomes unusable if you attempt to seek the playback. A few times the entire app has disappeared, dumping me out at the Android home screen (no crash message, just the Emby persistent notification lingering in the system notification bar).  No exaggeration, it's really bad. I'm planning to sideload a previous version but I'll wait to see if I can provide more debugging information first.

Server: 3.2.19.0

Emby App: Android Mobile 2.9.07

adam1010

@@Luke Just tested the newest Android mobile app on another device (running Android 5.1.1) with a different TV show and it exhibited the same behavior. Long pause after seeking, followed by a jump to a random place in the episode. Pausing an adjusting the seek caused it to skip to the beginning of the next episode.

I can't be certain the regression was introduced in this version -- I have my apps set to manual update so I may have missed one or two releases in the Google Play store.

adam1010

@@Luke It looks like the issues only occur if the video is being transcoded. When I switch to Direct Play the issues aren't present.

adam1010

@@Luke @@ebr Have you been able to reproduce this? Make sure to use low quality when testing to force transcoding.

Let me know so I can sideload an older version

adam1010

There a place to download the APK directly? I don't really want to be on beta all the time. I downloaded 2.9.08 that was released earlier today and the bug is still present.

When I start an episode and try to skip a few minutes away from the end, it pauses until the transcoder finishes (catches up). From the server view I can see the red transcoding progress bar and once it reaches the green bar it'll play (that's probably what is causing the super long delay I'm seeing).

Then if I pause and try to go back towards the beginning, it skips to the next episode and marks the one I was on as watched.

Make sure you're testing with Transcoding turned on.

I did. This is easy to test by lowering the in-app quality setting to force everything to transcode. Unfortunately at this point if you're not going to submit the logs requested in post #2 then it's going to be difficult to help with this.

adam1010

@@Luke -- I did attach the server logs in Post #3 (I just assumed they only show up to Admins) -- Are you saying the files are public and should be showing as downloadable on Post #3?

I've re-attached

2017-06-10Emby.txt

adam1010

@@Luke Anything in the log file? I saw several Exceptions reported. Let me know if you need more logs before I sideload an old version.

adam1010

@@Luke It didn't generate any useful log information. Is there a verbose option I need to enable?  I deleted all the logs and then performed the action and no new information was added to the log files  (but I've attached it below). I even checked after an app crash and didn't see much getting written to the logs.

emby-android-mobile.log

adam1010

Great!! I'm happy to provide more logs, just let me know. I can also try some test builds if you want to PM me an APK

lifespeed

Ok, I think I see something, thanks.

I am having exactly the same problem where seeking with the scrub bar causes Emby for Android mobile to crash.  It sounds like you already know where to look.  If you need logs from a second source let me know.  Also, if you have a beta to test I would be glad to do so.

Edit:  only a problem when transcoding, not direct play.  And it appears as though two instances of ffmpeg are left active using 10% CPU.

Edited by lifespeed

lifespeed

Try the open beta version.

I looked at it for only a minute, but it did seek correctly.  If I find any weirdness I'll report it.  Thanks!

• Solution
adam1010

This appears resolved in the stable Google Play version 2.9.15 -- you can mark this Closed/Answered if you like.

• Like 1