Emby refuses to run

muhfugen

muhfugen

When trying to run Emby on Windows Server 2016 Core the server process refuses to run due to an unhandled exception - value cannot be null.

Unhandled Exception log:

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
   at System.Threading.Monitor.Enter(Object obj)
   at SkiaSharp.SKObject.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at SkiaSharp.SKBitmap.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at SkiaSharp.SKNativeObject.Finalize()
System.ArgumentNullException

Relevant excerpts from the server log:

2017-06-09 14:59:46.7256 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/rss/1-media-browser-developers-blog
2017-06-09 14:59:46.8662 Error Main: UnhandledException
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.2.19.0
	Command line: C:\Users\administrator.BIXNOOD\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Processor count: 1
	Program data path: C:\Users\administrator.BIXNOOD\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\administrator.BIXNOOD\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
	System.ArgumentNullException

2017-06-09 14:59:47.0537 Error App: Error launching url: http://localhost:8096/web/wizardstart.html
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.2.19.0
	Command line: C:\Users\administrator.BIXNOOD\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Processor count: 1
	Program data path: C:\Users\administrator.BIXNOOD\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\administrator.BIXNOOD\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Class not registered
	   at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
	   at Emby.Server.Core.ApplicationHost.LaunchUrl(String url)
	System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
	   at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
	   at Emby.Server.Core.ApplicationHost.LaunchUrl(String url)

Edited by muhfugen

Install the microsoft 2015 visual c++ runtime. It should be prompting you to do that. I'm not sure why, perhaps that is failing under the server OS, or the download of it is failing.

muhfugen

Both the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 x64 Minimum Runtime - 14.0.23026 and the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 x64 Additional Runtime - 14.0.23026 are installed.

muhfugen

I also tried reinstalling The MS VC++ 2015 x64 14.0.24123 Runtime and it is still giving the same unhandled exception error.

Is Windows updates fully up to date? Did you try rebooting after reinstalling the c++ runtime?

muhfugen

No its a fresh install of windows, since I run SCCM it will take a while for the updates to get installed. Regarding the "2017-06-09 14:59:47.0537 Error App: Error launching url: http://localhost:8096/web/wizardstart.html" it seems as if it assumes there will be a web browser on the server on which it is installed. Is this a hard requirement? If you're not familiar with Server Core it does not include or a web browser or most other GUI components.

On a side note, oddly I was able to download the release from GitHub and kind of get it to work before I used the Emby installer. The web server itself would run, but it refused to accept the path to ffmpeg I provided. Which is why I went with the installer from your website.

muhfugen

So it isnt a problem with Windows updates, it looks like you guys have some undocumented hard dependencies on the Windows GUI. I installed on Windows Server 2016 Desktop Experience and it so far appears to be running fine.

As far as the web browser goes, we don't assume, we just try and if it fails, we log it and move on. We'll look into the dependency problem. thanks.