Emby for Samsung Smart TV 2014 Now in App Store

Luke

The app is now available in the Samsung app store in the USA for 2014 models.

Stay tuned for availability worldwide and also for 2013 models.

Enjoy.

• Like 3

FrostByte

App loaded fine and navigation works, but found I can get the app to crash.  As soon as I hit play a spinning circle goes around a few times and then app crashes. 

Seems to be related to the bitrate setting?  If I leave it at "Auto" it works fine, but if I set it at 1080p - 30Mbps (which is what the manual says is the max) then the app crashes.  I've tried several movies now and that seems to be the catch, though not 100%.

In the log the movie Braveheart crashes with setting at 1080p 30Mbps

https://pastebin.com/aa38Fq9L

I'll do some more testing here

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Ok, that setting may or may not have anything to do with it.  I just tried Interstellar and it crashed with setting at Auto, then I restarted the app and it worked the second time so I'm not real sure.  I tried AC3 and DTS movies with the same results

https://pastebin.com/ZZSBDKAu

593a5785dbf1f_Inter.jpg

CBers

Installed and working on my old 2013 with 2014 evokit. Thanks

So only available for H Series models.

Worldwide?

FrostByte

Yes, I think the only reason I can see it on my 2013 is the evokit.  Hopefully soon

• Like 1

FrostByte

I also got it to crash once during a photo slideshow, but can't reproduce exactly how I did it right now

FrostByte

Did some more testing.

With app set to Auto bitrate the movie Braveheart crashed the app 5 times in a row.  Lowered to 25 Mbps (5 Mbps below max specified in users manual) and Braveheart played fine.  Most of my encodes are fairly high bitrate.  With settings at 25 Mbps it usually works, though I did have one crash with 12 Angry Men which has PCM audio though it worked the next time I started it without changing the settings.

593ab1e3da886_Brave.jpg

FrostByte

Best thing about this app is that I can Direct Play DTS, DTS-ES, PCM and AC3 without any transcoding or remuxing of audio and unlike my Tizen TV or other devices in the house I don't have to manually switch the audio settings since Orsay sets do that automatically.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

The version that was released is 3 months old. This took a bit of time to get through the app store, so now that it's out we'll immediately submit an update which will have a number of improvements.

• Like 3

rbjtech

Fantastic work guys :)

I can confirm this works great on a 2014 UK Samsung UE40 H5500 

To change internet region on this TV to US - I used the keypress on the remote  '>>' , 2, 8, 9, '<<' 

>> = Fast Forward

<< = Rewind

<FrostByte> - Maybe you want to add H Series TV's to your install guide as it only lists J and K series ?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/45404-how-to-install-the-official-emby-app-on-a-samsung-smart-tv-outside-the-us/

Thanks.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Fantastic work guys :)

I can confirm this works great on a 2014 UK Samsung UE40 H5500 

To change internet region on this TV to US - I used the keypress on the remote  '>>' , 2, 8, 9, '<<' 

>> = Fast Forward

<< = Rewind

<FrostByte> - Maybe you want to add H Series TV's to your install guide as it only lists J and K series ?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/45404-how-to-install-the-official-emby-app-on-a-samsung-smart-tv-outside-the-us/

Thanks.

Thanks, I'll add to the pinned post here today.

• Like 1

Tuffnutz

I really hope there is an update soon this app is beautiful but its very unusable with the app crashes it cant seem to handle the 1080p encodes just constant circle then crashes or plays 2 minutes then crashes

shorty1483

@@FrostByte @@rbjtech It seems it differs from TV to TV model. I also used the key combination, but first I needed to reset the Smart Hub on my H6270, during the new setup when entering the EULA, I needed to enter the key combination.

@@Luke Nice suprise and finally I had the time to check the app out. I really like it. But same catches like @@Happy2Play and @@Tuffnutz.

1. I set up the app with the same setting like the old 2.2.2 one (Direct Playing every high bitrate movie worked without problems incl. HD Audio) and almost every of my Remuxes crashes the Theater app. I tried various combinations of codecs (mostly h264 with DTS, DTS-HD, AC3, MP3, AAC). Should I upload fresh logs tomorrow or renounce to upload them until the next update is out.

2. I seems when using the all movies / series view, the ABC menu does not seem to work at least on my H6270.

Edited by shorty1483

FrostByte

@@FrostByte @@rbjtech It seems it differs from TV to TV model. I also used the key combination, but first I needed to reset the Smart Hub on my H6270, during the new setup when entering the EULA, I needed to enter the key combination.

shorty1483, do you recall the key combination you used?  I can add it and make a comment saying it may differ with models

Hopefully, the new version Luke submitted will be available soon and fix everything

• Like 1

shorty1483

shorty1483, do you recall the key combination you used?  I can add it and make a comment saying it may differ with models

Users having problems changing the Smart Hub region inside the SMart Hub should try to follow this Guide:

1. Press Menu

2. Go to Smart Hub Settings

3. Reset Smart Hub

4. When Reset is done, press Smart Hub Remote Key

5. When the EULA appears during the setup, press:  >> 2 8 9 <<  and wait a few seconds until the region selection appears

6. Select US as region (the US EULA will be loaded)

7. Accept the US EULA

8. Proceed with the following setup steps

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

coolspot

Hadn't had issues with the developer version, but the official version appeared to crash on my on two different tv shows.  I had the wife with me so I switched over to the Roku and played there instead.  I'll play with the bitrate settings mentioned and see what's going on and submit logs if I can't figure it out. Perhaps when the app updates there won't be a problem as well.

have a UN40H6350, 

FrostByte

Just installed new version 105 from the Samsung store.  Will do some testing here to see if the crashes have gone away.  Thanks

• Like 2

Yes that finally launched tonight. We'll have an announcement up as soon as the corresponding Tizen update makes it's way through. But for Orsay users it is three months worth of changes.

• Like 2

shorty1483

Tested the new app version and it's even worse than before.

I tested high and very low bitrate movies (from 5000 to 32000 kbps).

----> Bitrate setting Auto -> Press Play movie, loading circle, app force exits

----> Bitrate setting 1080p 60Mbit (like in the old app) -> Press Play movie, loading circle, app force exits

In no scenario I was able to successfully start a stream on my TV. As comparison I always look at the old app where everything was cool.

Since I am not able to see or send app logs, I attached server log. There are no ffmpeg logs.

Fun fact that I've never seen with any app before. Sometimes when the app force exits during loading circle, the loading circle stays on the top of the regular TV picture (Satellite receiver connected via HDMI). I have to turn off and on TV to make it disappear.

594d36c02fe19_IMG_20170623_173603.jpg

server-63633835852.txt

Edited by shorty1483

shorty1483

Try lowering the in-app bitrate setting.

OK now I took just one low bitrate movie (ca. 5000 kbps, in every test the same movie) and went directly to extremely low bitrate settings as a test.

----> 1. Try: Bitrate setting 480p 420kbps -> Press Play movie, loading circle, app force exits

----> 2. Try: Bitrate setting 144p -> Press Play movie, loading circle, Movie plays

----> 3. Try: Bitrate setting 480p 420kbps -> Press Play movie, loading circle, Movie plays

----> 4. Try: Bitrate setting 1080p 60Mbps -> Press Play movie, loading circle, app force exits

Btw, theme.mp3's get transcoded to aac, but the TV supports mp3.

The playback/app errors seems to be very random. Atm too much click and try for my families delight unfortunately, since I like the ET UI very much.

I am willing to help in every supporting and testing way to make the app work nicely. But please dear Luke, do me one favor. Please do not begin to sell lowering the in-app bitrate setting as the solution for playback errors since the old app is the proof that nearly all standard 1080p HD Audio files play nicely in direct play mode, even Remuxes (at least on H-Series TV's). Thanks!

Server and ffmpeg logs attached.

logs.zip

Edited by shorty1483

FrostByte

I started a few movies and they all crashed on first try, then restarted and it worked the second time for all.  It doesn't appear the crashing was part was fixed at least.  Bitrate settings have no effect it seems. 

Is there a way to have an in app log like the old third party app did?  That may help capture some of this.

• Like 1

Tuffnutz

Mine is still having the issue but my suspicion is that its related to the artwork some how i noticed when i start it the cover (artwork) starts to download then crashes but when you come back into it the artwork has downloaded and plays no worries either way its a pain in  the arse so technically still not usable until this bug/glitch is fixed