Something Plex does better

MSattler

MSattler

@@Luke,

So for years now I've complained that if I want to kill a transcoding, I have to use a powershell script I came up with, or a custom shell script in linux to figure out which transcoding/ffmpeg instance goes with which user.   If I have 4 transcodings going on, it's a nightmare if someone cannot script.  You have to look through logs, download process explorer, and dig.

What did Plex do..... give you a "Stop Playback" button.  It's not like they are super geniuses, they just apply a common sense approach.

5939cac66aef6_ScreenShot20170608at60322P

Edited by MSattler
  • Like 2

MSattler

But we have that via remote control features, no?

So if I need to stop remote playback for multiple people, I need to use the remote control for each user?

Don't think of the request from a user perspective but as an admin.   My family at home is 5 kids and 3 adults.

Since Emby does not have a limit on how many streams a user can have, if I want to kill off a couple of streams the kids left on before going to bed, it's a PITA.

Right, I understand we could list them all at once and yes it would be more helpful in that situation. I just wanted to point out that there is at least a way to do it, as opposed to no way at all.

BAlGaInTl

So if I need to stop remote playback for multiple people, I need to use the remote control for each user?

Don't think of the request from a user perspective but as an admin.   My family at home is 5 kids and 3 adults.

Since Emby does not have a limit on how many streams a user can have, if I want to kill off a couple of streams the kids left on before going to bed, it's a PITA.

I certainly see your point...

But it seems that this would be a pretty fringe use.

What's the real use case?  Why do you commonly need to kill transcodes?  I don't have as many users as you, but I don't think I've ever had to kill a ffmpeg process.  Is it simply from the number of streams and you want to reduce?  Server utilization?  Bandwidth?

Just curious.

shorty1483

Maybe this would be solved with this feature request?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48138-dashboard-active-devices-enhancement/

That why in the dashboard, you could see who is playing what, and then simply click stop?

Haha, you're not the first. Hint: Look at the date.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/18453-server-kill-current-transcodestreaming-sessions-from-the-server/?hl=%2Bactive+%2Bdevices

• Like 1

MSattler

I certainly see your point...

But it seems that this would be a pretty fringe use.

What's the real use case?  Why do you commonly need to kill transcodes?  I don't have as many users as you, but I don't think I've ever had to kill a ffmpeg process.  Is it simply from the number of streams and you want to reduce?  Server utilization?  Bandwidth?

Just curious.

Let's say my kid starts watching TV at 10PM at his moms house using Emby.  Then he falls asleep, and he goes to school.  Or let's say he goes to camp for a week.  This is at his moms house, streaming from my house.   It's a pain to go ahead and kill the stream.   It would be nice to go to the Dashboard, see that stream, knowing he's not there kill it on the spot.   

Between my direct family and kids I have 12 users.  The number of times TV streams are left running, or that someone forgets to stop a stream is endless.   This makes it way easier.

• Like 4

nagetech

This may sound like a stupid question, but Luke said there is some kind of "remote control" function already built in that can do this...... Where exactly?

This may sound like a stupid question, but Luke said there is some kind of "remote control" function already built in that can do this...... Where exactly?

Have you never sent playback from one device to another using Emby?

No, usually I use the webapp, xbox, ios app or xbox1

Just click the cast icon in the top right of the web app to select a player to control. Then anytime you play something, it will play on that device.

arrbee99

Never had to kill any stream yet either, but still sounds like a good idea.

pir8radio

Use process lasso to auto kill any ffmpeg instance that has been running for longer than say 6 hours 8 hours whatever..  Binge watchers need a break anyway.   That's what I do to catch any hung ffmpeg instances or family that just shuts off their tv and leaves the roku streaming.    But if you want to manually watch and kill streams, that's your preference..   :)  

Jdiesel

Should there not be a feature like Netflix has that prompts you after a certain number of autoplayed episodes if you are still watching? How else do you make someone feel guilty for wasting an entire Saturday binge watching TV?

• Like 2

pir8radio

Should there not be a feature like Netflix has that prompts you after a certain number of autoplayed episodes if you are still watching? How else do you make someone feel guilty for wasting an entire Saturday binge watching TV?

Yea that was a request of mine a while back to make an auto kill feature, then someone said yes if it has a warning. But I think a bunch of users said no, because they like to sleep with the tv on..  :)   I can't make fun of them too much, my woman is the same way...  

Edited by pir8radio