Mediainfo is either incorrect or missing parts

One2Go

One2Go

Noticed a few Blu-ray Discs and files are either displaying incorrect information regarding codec sound or video information. Below screenshots for Top Gun no channel information, for Aguirre incorrect resolution and for 3rd Man no audio information at all.

Media Browser 2.6 identifies these discs correctly using its mediainfo.dll. How can I correct this? Is there a way to manually correct this? Also I can't get DTS-HD HRA to get identified and displayed.

YUnwvB2Z.jpg   w52uPBkk.jpg   I4yEDZgt.jpg

Edited by One2Go

Can you show us the media info that is below that?

Also, what is the container format of these items?  If it is DVD or BD folder rips then some of this will be hit-or-miss.

One2Go

Can you show us the media info that is below that?

Here are media info from the very bottom on the page. Order 3rd Man, Aguirre, Top Gun

jX4NsH4y.jpg     wOvHeOvM.jpg     SLskfGgx.jpg

Also, what is the container format of these items?  If it is DVD or BD folder rips then some of this will be hit-or-miss.

It was not hit and miss with the mediainfo.dll procedure in Media Browser. Please note the correct information from Media Browser's screen shots.

Ru1zUJ9c.jpg     pRhhrkO5.jpg     Hr4rI8rb.jpg

If there is a hit and miss situation, which I understand, then how can I manually correct it and where?

Thanks

O2G

Edited by One2Go

We don't use mediaInfo.dll, we use ffmpeg and ffprobe, and they do not have native support for folder rip structures. For best results, use plain video files. There is currently no way to override this.

One2Go

We don't use mediaInfo.dll, we use ffmpeg and ffprobe, and they do not have native support for folder rip structures. For best results, use plain video files. There is currently no way to override this.

Well that is sad no native support for folder structures. Plain video files are not the way to go for TV Shows on Bluray discs Or DVDs.

I was able to correct the Top Gun film by just muxing it into a MKV container rather then a TS container. Weird that this made a difference.

Now when FFMpeg or FFProbe is being invoked to analyze the media does it not store the results somewhere and can't they be altered there?

Finally I do have some SD content what is the label for 480 or 576 format? For 720 it is hdtype_720 and that will be displayed, what is it for 480 and 576? hdtype_480 does not display the PNG image, most likely since it is not HD content.

Please what should the PNG file be called to get 480 and 576 to be displayed.

Which leaves

It's not stored in a place for easy modification. The data has functional purpose, and attempting to alter it for display purposes may cause failures when it comes time to play. What you should probably do is open a feature request topic about improving the native folder rip support, and then we can measure the amount of community interest that it draws.

For this question:

Finally I do have some SD content what is the label for 480 or 576 format? For 720 it is hdtype_720 and that will be displayed, what is it for 480 and 576? hdtype_480 does not display the PNG image, most likely since it is not HD content.

Please what should the PNG file be called to get 480 and 576 to be displayed.

I think that is something specific to Emby for WMC so I'll need @@ebr's help on that one. Thanks.

Well that is sad no native support for folder structures. Plain video files are not the way to go for TV Shows on Bluray discs Or DVDs.

I definitely don't agree with that.  Even setting aside the fact that, as far as current computer storage and playback devices are concerned, that is a dead format - having individual files for TV episodes opens up a world of better functionality within Emby over having them buried inside a disc structure.

• Like 1

Neither of those are considered HD so they don't have a corresponding HD type icon.

One2Go

I definitely don't agree with that.  Even setting aside the fact that, as far as current computer storage and playback devices are concerned, that is a dead format - having individual files for TV episodes opens up a world of better functionality within Emby over having them buried inside a disc structure.

Here are just two examples of why it is easy to have the whole disc on the server and as long as the discs are commercially produced and are part of any home theater experience I sincerely hope that Emby will support it, regardless of its future.

1. Suit season 6 was just released. Copied the discs to the media server and prepared 4 XML files based on season 5 with just copying and pasting relevant text including Gag reel and other extras. They are all in one place NOT BURIED as I am using real menus in PDVD 16, Job done. Fortunately the media is identified even though not exactly as the sound is DTS-HD MA it only displays it as DTS DS but not a big deal.

2. Inside Out Bluray and Bridge of Spies have extras on them that are must haves. Like Riley's first date from Inside out disc, or the Interviews with Spielberg, Tom Hanks and Garry Powers' son that round out the Cold War experience of Bridge of Spies.

Again all in one place no ripping of Extras or individual episodes, relying on sometimes half baked meta data from the sites that provide it. Rip to HD using AnyDVD, Identify and play and no massaging of meta data.

It is not fair to say that because you can't get inside the Bluray disc structure with the present method, that this now opens up better functionality, just because FFMpeg and FFProbe do an inferior job to identify the media then mediainfo.dll.

Again just one example Disc1, 2 & 4 of Suits season 6 were identified correctly but disc 3 was not. Had to run an individual refresh on disc 3 before it displayed the individual media data correctly. Notice the screen shots from the metadata manager and the Stream directory of disc 1 & 3 in the windows explorer they are almost identical. Why did it identify disc 1 correctly but not disc 3.

Suits S6 Disc 1

Suits.Disc1_zpsef4f7a31.jpg     Suits.Explorer1_zps1jx9dxan.jpg

Suits S6 Disc 3

Suits.Disc3_zpscjiywbt1.jpg     Suits.Explorer3_zpsbyfdzoyo.jpg

Neither of those are considered HD so they don't have a corresponding HD type icon.

I fully understand that they are not HD content, I am trying to find out how display the icons for 480, 480i, 480p and also 576, 576i, 576p

You have listed in the Image by Name guide under the subject of Media Info several different categories, like codec, channel and aspect. Since the metadata manager shows the resolution format as 480 or 576 I am trying to find out what label / Filename does FFMpeg and FFProbe produce to indicate the SD resolution?

I try to display these media icons in the Throgsoft themes.

Thanks for your much appreciated help,

O2G

PS. Sorry for the large pictures but just found out that imgbox.com will close June 30th.

Edited by One2Go

Deathsquirrel

I really STRONGLY encourage you to look at converting those disc formats to a more standard container where each episode is its own file.  You can keep as many or as few of the extras as you want.  The resulting files work better in pretty much every playback solution in existence and the UI will be far more consistent as a result.

Splitting out the individual episodes and identifying them can be a bit of work but I'm vastly happier with Emby since I did this conversion.

One2Go

What were your playback devices and software? To best of my knowledge there is only 1 current software that is worth using PDVD and I run PDVD16 and it is by far the most stable, problem free client that displays the menus the way the disc providers intended it to be. No other software gets close to the playback experience and believe me I have tried many. The menus and navigation is far easier and as a bonus no additional massaging of media content, There are many of us to whom menus mean a lot and I am one of them. I have over 1000 movies and over 3500 episodes, so it is not going to happen.

I do understand the problems vendors face because of the BDA licensing agreement but vendors like Dune have written their own code to get around the menu problem. So for a company to do that, then there must be some demand for menus. My only complaint and request is the the mediainfo collection in the MB legacy program worked fine in the Emby program the FFMpeg & FFProbe is not doing the same excellent job of identifying media formats.

One2Go

@@Deathsquirrel

Just was confronted with an additional new reason why keeping the BDMV structure is time saving. The show "The Tunnel" season 1 had a Bluray release and since I like the show the two discs were put on my server. No additional meta data search required just two episode pics and copy and past the Extra's information.

Got the second season in individual episodes and extras that were released on Amazon. If they would have been in disc format easy integration but since they were in individual episodes for the Specials / Extras there are no entries on thetvdb.com. So rather then just posting the disc information I actual had to create the entries for the Specials on thetvdb.com website before they could be scrapped, would not have been necessary if it would have been in disc format.

Definitely discs have there place especially when you have a decent hardware setup and decent software player.

Deathsquirrel

@@Deathsquirrel

Just was confronted with an additional new reason why keeping the BDMV structure is time saving....

I didn't say it saves you time.  I actually said it's more work.  I also said the results are BETTER.

More work, better results, enhanced compatibility.  You can decide if that's a fair trade-off.  It's your time. :)

One2Go

The older one gets the more time increases in value and for me that means not spending additional time on ripping and muxing content. You never answered what media player you use and if it is MBT then I understand that this would yield better results but if you have a proper software player for BDMV structure how would that not produce equally good results? By separating a BDMV folder into single episodes / files you are covering up the flaws of FFMPeg and FFProbe not being able to analyze correctly the BDMV folder, that was never the case with the mediainfo.dll. In any case life is too short to drink bad wine and coffee as well as spending an absorbent amount of time on massaging content. I might be tempted to spent synching DD 5.1 audio to an existing media file to improve the final product but that is it for me.

Spaceboy

This question comes up every so often and runs for a while until the OP realises that actually converting their discs to files will be quicker than waiting for this change to be implemented. There are scripts to ease the burden. My advice, set the conversion running, dump everything into the correct the folder and tidy it up later.

Covfefe

Deathsquirrel

The older one gets the more time increases in value and for me that means not spending additional time on ripping and muxing content. You never answered what media player you use and if it is MBT then I understand that this would yield better results but if you have a proper software player for BDMV structure how would that not produce equally good results? By separating a BDMV folder into single episodes / files you are covering up the flaws of FFMPeg and FFProbe not being able to analyze correctly the BDMV folder, that was never the case with the mediainfo.dll. In any case life is too short to drink bad wine and coffee as well as spending an absorbent amount of time on massaging content. I might be tempted to spent synching DD 5.1 audio to an existing media file to improve the final product but that is it for me.

I use a variety of client apps including ET, Ember, Android TV, and the web client.

Having a consistent UI for choosing episodes and eliminating all the unskippable bullshit that's inflicted on disc media make the effort of ripping discs to MKV well worth it IMO.  I'm not doing it to cover up for limitations of FFProbe, I'm doing it because disc menus suck.  There is probably a  special circle of hell for bad graphic designers that's rapidly filling up with the guys that design 90% of disc front-ends.

One2Go

In the different AVS forums when the question comes up about Bluray disc playback, the first reply inquiry usually is, do you want menus or not. So the audience is divided between those that like them and those that want to do without them. For me there are a few shows and movies were I want to keep them and PDVD 16 does an excellent job of skipping the opening trash. If skipping is not allowed or loads of previews are being played back, I have a set of blank M2TS files that I copy over the warnings, FBI logos and preview junk, the playback experience is then to my liking.

Best summed up "One man's trash is the other man's treasure" :D

Edited by One2Go