Home Automation

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

Where do you guys find the time?  I'm jealous.

Between the hours of 9:00 PM and 6:00 AM. Who needs sleep?

• Like 2

mediacowboy

Well I finally got all the DLL and stuff needed to run Mosquitto MQTT on windows. WTF. Why not bundle everything needed. Well I know why. Most people are running Mossquitto MQTT on a Raspberry PI. I can post the DLL in a zip here if anyone is interested or needs them.

Now to figure out Owntracks.

Got Owntracks talking to Mosquitto MQTT. 

I really need to get a SSL setup for my domain.

Update: YAY. I have Owntracks talking to Mosquitto and Mosquitto talking to Home Assistant. Which now shows I am where I think I am.

Edited by mediacowboy

chef

Got Owntracks talking to Mosquitto MQTT.

I really need to get a SSL setup for my domain.

Are you going to use lets encrypt?

What does own tracks take care of?

mediacowboy

Are you going to use lets encrypt?

What does own tracks take care of?

I don't know who I am going to get a SSL from. I have DnyDNS register my domain and dns. I want SSL on a few of the programs I run (Emby, Home Assistant, and "Some other")

Owntracks is a free location base tracking software. It connects to a MQTT server, self hosted or online, and then can let Home Assistant know where you are at. To then do, as you know, location based automation. For those that know what you can do. You can use it to detect when you are leaving work and turn the AC down 10 degrees and then when you Leave home turn it up 10 degrees.

• Like 1

chef

I don't know who I am going to get a SSL from. I have DnyDNS register my domain and dns. I want SSL on a few of the programs I run (Emby, Home Assistant, and "Some other")

Owntracks is a free location base tracking software. It connects to a MQTT server, self hosted or online, and then can let Home Assistant know where you are at. To then do, as you know, location based automation. For those that know what you can do. You can use it to detect when you are leaving work and turn the AC down 10 degrees and then when you Leave home turn it up 10 degrees.

Sweet so you have geo-fencing! Nice! That will help a lot! Mine turns everything off, sets the temperature and makes sure the door is locked when I'm 100 meters away from my home. Definitely worth getting going!

mediacowboy

Sweet so you have geo-fencing! Nice! That will help a lot! Mine turns everything off, sets the temperature and makes sure the door is locked when I'm 100 meters away from my home. Definitely worth getting going!

What's even better is I can do multiple geo-fencing. So for example, I can set it up to track my kids and set a fence around their schools and be notified when they leave that area.

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

Do you use this builtin geo fencing feature from the Vera phone app Chef? I have it setup on an android and an iPhone but not sure how accurate / reliable it is (havnt had time to properly test).

chef

Do you use this builtin geo fencing feature from the Vera phone app Chef? I have it setup on an android and an iPhone but not sure how accurate / reliable it is (havnt had time to properly test).

It works really well on my iPhone. The outdoor lights turn on when I am late returning home as well.

I does seem to use data though.

Tur0k

Oh boy! My most favourite topic EVER! [emoji38][emoji95][emoji898]

I use veralite, with my home brew OWIN server to control Arduino IOTs (my home Made Arduinos run window blinds etc.)

I use ha-bridge to control vera with Alexa, and it also allows control of my OWIN server wi Alexa. So Arduino runs with voice command.

I also attached my home security camera to Alexa with computer vision. Alexa will describe the persons gender and approx age at my front door when I ask.

I also use an old dial up modem to intercept incoming phone calls and call display. I can then ask Alexa who's call my home and it will tell me.

Alexa will control emby through a home brew skill.

I recently (just yesterday) connected several Bluetooth radios into the echo dot, and then attached whole home audio for Alexa, through hidden Bluetooth light fixtures in my home. Now the echo will speak in every room if I want it too.[emoji38]

I can show you code of you want. It's pretty cool.

These are beta videos, now that I have a really intuitive Computer Vision Neural Network running it has learned a great deal about my front enterance...lol!

Like I said I have given Alexa eyes to see and it knows gender and age... [emoji106]

This is sick!!![emoji1476]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tur0k

MAN!!!  this post is a gold mine for ideas.  I will look into:

Mosquito MQTT (http://mosquitto.org/).  I have been using Pushover for notifications to my smart devices and have it tied to my Emby server, my home automation server, my firewall, and my wireless AP controller.  It would be pretty cool to get Mosquito setup to mirror messaging to my smart devices and all my home PCs and HTPCs. 

I am currently using an HS3 plugin for GPS location via my families IOS based devices.  I have been considering moving to a Geofencing configuration (which my plugin supports).  Owntracks (http://owntracks.org) seems to offer both cloud based and on prem infrastructure to handle communication between the client phone/device and the server.

• Like 2

mastrmind11

MAN!!!  this post is a gold mine for ideas.  I will look into:

Mosquito MQTT (http://mosquitto.org/).  I have been using Pushover for notifications to my smart devices and have it tied to my Emby server, my home automation server, my firewall, and my wireless AP controller.  It would be pretty cool to get Mosquito setup to mirror messaging to my smart devices and all my home PCs and HTPCs. 

I am currently using an HS3 plugin for GPS location via my families IOS based devices.  I have been considering moving to a Geofencing configuration (which my plugin supports).  Owntracks (http://owntracks.org) seems to offer both cloud based and on prem infrastructure to handle communication between the client phone/device and the server.

just be aware that apple kills/sleeps apps in the background if they're not being used, which might jack up geofencing.  I know this because my Domotz Pro agent that monitors my network tells me every few minutes that my wife's phone is up/down continuously throughout the day when she's in the house.

• Like 1

chef

just be aware that apple kills/sleeps apps in the background if they're not being used, which might jack up geofencing. I know this because my Domotz Pro agent that monitors my network tells me every few minutes that my wife's phone is up/down continuously throughout the day when she's in the house.

This is a good piece of info here. I haven't experienced it with vera geofencing because it uses GPS to fence. I figure that the other kind is using a connection to the network to decided weather your in the fence zone or not.

But it does eat data when it checks your location through GPS.

mediacowboy

Hue lights are setup as individual lights and sitting at 10 brightness of 255.

Owntracks is acting up on wife's iPhone and won't post location.

On a positive note, well more like fireworks going off, I have the WAF. Time to pick up a side job for my money for this Hobbie

• Like 1

mediacowboy

Snippets to show just how easy is it to set them up.

Automation

- alias: Change Kid's Brightness
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: input_slider.kids_lamp_bright
  action:
    - service: light.turn_on
      data_template:
        entity_id: light.kids_lamp
        brightness: '{{ states.input_slider.kids_lamp_bright.state | int }}'

Light settings

- alias: Change Kid's Brightness
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: input_slider.kids_lamp_bright
  action:
    - service: light.turn_on
      data_template:
        entity_id: light.kids_lamp
        brightness: '{{ states.input_slider.kids_lamp_bright.state | int }}'

593a1e74ccb30_WebUI.png

To name them just change the Entity ID from light.kids_lamp to light.kitchen

593a1ed89c170_Naming.png

To create the card to turn them on and off

This puts the light on and off switch and the slider in one group.

kids_light:
  name: Kids Lamp
  entities:
    - light.kids_lamp
    - input_slider.kids_lamp_bright

Then to display them in the web ui on a lighting tab

lights:
  view: yes
  icon: mdi:lightbulb-outline
  entities:
    - group.desktop_light
    - group.kids_light
Edited by mediacowboy
  • Like 2

chef

On a side note, I got alerts/messages working through a plugin for emby. It takes advantage of both the model or popup style.

I think I'll create a custom entry point to allow for home automation devices to trigger the alerts.

I think that is how I'm gonna do it...?

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

On a side note, I got alerts/messages working through a plugin for emby. It takes advantage of both the model or popup style.

I think I'll create a custom entry point to allow for home automation devices to trigger the alerts.

I think that is how I'm gonna do it...?

Very cool Chef, any screenshots ?

As for integration I can only make suggestions for Vera and would this Vera plugin work with your Emby message plugin?

http://rts-services.com/Vera/Plugin/VeraAlerts/

chef

Very cool Chef, any screenshots ?

As for integration I can only make suggestions for Vera and would this Vera plugin work with your Emby message plugin?

http://rts-services.com/Vera/Plugin/VeraAlerts/

Yes I believe the push notification part of that will work. There will be two parts. The http commandline and the ability to save a message to broadcast to all your users/clients when they log on.

I've got the latter working so far. I wonder if my users are getting sick and tired of the "Test" message that keeps popping up on their devices, yet? Lol!

PrincessClevage

Yes I believe the push notification part of that will work. There will be two parts. The http commandline and the ability to save a message to broadcast to all your users/clients when they log on.

I've got the latter working so far. I wonder if my users are getting sick and tired of the "Test" message that keeps popping up on their devices, yet? Lol!

Curious as too what the two different Popups look like

chef

Curious as too what the two different Popups look like

I'll post a screen shot but one is the "Got it" message. It appears in the center of the screen in the theater and other HTML based emby clients.

The other is a small black box that appears in the bottom left of the screen. An example of that is when you save items in the emby user settings. The box will appear and say: "item saved".

PrincessClevage

I'll post a screen shot but one is the "Got it" message. It appears in the center of the screen in the theater and other HTML based emby clients.

The other is a small black box that appears in the bottom left of the screen. An example of that is when you save items in the emby user settings. The box will appear and say: "item saved".

So the later is what you would see for ET desktop and xbox1 app?

chef

So the later is what you would see for ET desktop and xbox1 app?

Yeah, you'll be able to choose. I figure if we do get it working with HA motion sensors/ cameras then the small popup during playback will be noticeable but it won't be interrupting :)

• Like 1

If there's an issue with the way the message looks then please open a topic. If you set a timeout it is intended to be a toast that slides away. If you don't set a timeout then it's modal and user has to confirm.