Home Automation

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

Yeah I was looking at the RaZberry2 Z-wave Plus daughter card as well. Then stumbled on to the one I posted. Benefit of the two in one usb stick for home assistant is it doesn't disable the Bluetooth connection on the pi and I get zigbee as well and cheaper.

Since I am currently renting my house it limits what I can do.

One of the products I am looking at is this.

GE Z-Wave Plus Wireless Smart Sensor, Hinge Pin Door Sensor, Attaches to Existing Door Hinge, White, 32563 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KQDIUAW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mVOtzbZ28W6NP

It will atleast tell me if my front door or back door is open when we are not home.

• Like 3

Tur0k

So I switched to a raspberry pi. Nothing fancy right now but now my emulated hue works perfect. No need for habridge. Also using glances to keep track of the raspberry pi. Thinking of doing the same for the emby server.

I run HS3 standard for Linux on an RPI3. This version is designed for X86. HST makes an HS3 LITE for RPI (only allows 5 plugins). I had find all the arm compiled executables from the lite package and use them on my build. I renamed the X86 compiled versions.

I run my HA server this way to reduce overall power consumption and limit my total investment. HS3 standard is $250 (I got it for $126 on sale), each Z-wave device is between $20 and $50 (I have 32 physical z-wave devices online and controlled. I have 18 more to add in on my next 4 day weekend. I still need another 25 or so devices), Linux (Raspbian) is free, and I spent about $50 on the RPI 3. HS3 standard and Pro is Linux and windows X86 compatible lite has to run on Linux. I can move around and run one whatever I want to this way. HS3 also has a really good ecosystem of plugins and I didn't want to be limited on the number of plugins I can run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tur0k

Yeah I was looking at the RaZberry2 Z-wave Plus daughter card as well. Then stumbled on to the one I posted. Benefit of the two in one usb stick for home assistant is it doesn't disable the Bluetooth connection on the pi and I get zigbee as well and cheaper.

Since I am currently renting my house it limits what I can do.

One of the products I am looking at is this.

GE Z-Wave Plus Wireless Smart Sensor, Hinge Pin Door Sensor, Attaches to Existing Door Hinge, White, 32563 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KQDIUAW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mVOtzbZ28W6NP

It will atleast tell me if my front door or back door is open when we are not home.

Door sensors are a great way to trigger events. That is a pretty cool looking, here I found a 5 pack of these (https://shop.homeseer.com/collections/sensors/products/homeseer-hs-ds100-z-wave-door-window-sensor-5-pack?variant=34116168332) on sale in may for $99. I will let you guys know how the work for me when I have time to get them in and build some events around them. Motion sensors can be as well depending on what the device can do (I use ecolinks and her then set to testing mode). Both are battery powered.

Go control makes z-wave connected light bulbs. They also make a wireless was light switch. They don't require switching out wall switches.

Then for places you need to control power the Aeotec smart dimmer and smart switch are great solutions.

Edited by Tur0k

mediacowboy

Home Assistant is open source and has over 700 components and counting. Which how can you go wrong with free.

I currently have roughly $285. That includes the following.

Raspberry Pi

64 GB SD card

Raspberry Pi Case

Hue Hub

5 - Hue White A19

1 - Hue Color A19

USB flash drive (Backup Configuration)

Tur0k

Home Assistant is open source and has over 700 components and counting. Which how can you go wrong with free.

I currently have roughly $285. That includes the following.

Raspberry Pi

64 GB SD card

Raspberry Pi Case

Hue Hub

5 - Hue White A19

1 - Hue Color A19

USB flash drive (Backup Configuration)

I looked at home assistant when I was first looking around for a HA controller. Most of my buddies who were doing HA were already on HS3. What does the event engine look like? How do you like building events in it?

Edited by Tur0k

mediacowboy

I really have built many events but it is pretty easy. Home assistant has a built in automation page to make it easier. Since I am learning I haven't used it and been doing everything by creating my own automation files.

mediacowboy

I looked at home assistant when I was first looking around for a HA controller. Most of my buddies who were doing HA were already on HS3. What does the event engine look like? How do you like building events in it?

So I relized the answer in the other post is kinda of blah. So here is an example of how I have my kids bedroom turn on a hour before sunset to only 50 brightness out of 255.

- alias: Bed Time
  trigger:
    platform: sun
    event: sunset
    offset: "-01:00:00"
  action:
    service: light.turn_on
    entity_id: light.kids_lamp
    data:
      brightness: 50
  • Like 1

Tur0k

So I relized the answer in the other post is kinda of blah. So here is an example of how I have my kids bedroom turn on a hour before sunset to only 50 brightness out of 255.

- alias: Bed Time
  trigger:
    platform: sun
    event: sunset
    offset: "-01:00:00"
  action:
    service: light.turn_on
    entity_id: light.kids_lamp
    data:
      brightness: 50

workflow-wise this looks very similar to HS3.  Here I have virtual devices to denote time period of day (based on sunrise and sunset), motion occupancy by floor, and overall occupancy.  for me i know that my kids generally go to bed between 06:00 PM and 08:30 PM.  I group my motion sensors together by floor and in this event use it to determine when my kids are in bed.  I want them to have a bit more light in their bedroom until they are asleep, I used this event to adjust their lights to only supply enough light to get out of bed and come to our bedroom or go to the restroom on their own. 

59509e7a29bb7_kidslightingbedtime.png

• 4 months later...
Boredcat

I am using domoticz to control my smart home. It currently consists of several Yeelight (RGB and White), ESP8266 based switches and several sensors (PIR, Temp. Humidity, LUX). Almost everything can be voice controlled using an echo dot.

Domoticz has not (yet) an integration with emby. To bypass this short coming I setup a HomeAssistant server with MQTT and NodeRed to feed the status of Emby into domoticz. Works great, when start a movie all the light dimm (20%) when pausing they go back to 60%. 

I really like the event system options in domoticz, it can be simple blocky or complex lua scripting.

• Like 1

aptalca

Quick note about homeseer, they are having their annual sale and their software is 50% off and they have discounts on everything else as well [emoji6]

SkyBehind

I am using domoticz to control my smart home. It currently consists of several Yeelight (RGB and White), ESP8266 based switches and several sensors (PIR, Temp. Humidity, LUX). Almost everything can be voice controlled using an echo dot.

Domoticz has not (yet) an integration with emby. To bypass this short coming I setup a HomeAssistant server with MQTT and NodeRed to feed the status of Emby into domoticz. Works great, when start a movie all the light dimm (20%) when pausing they go back to 60%. 

I really like the event system options in domoticz, it can be simple blocky or complex lua scripting.

Glad to see another Domoticz fan out there!  

• Like 1

Boredcat

Glad to see another Domoticz fan out there!  

It would be great if we could have native Emby support in Domoticz. Or MQTT support in Emby justy for play control. 

• 9 months later...
adrianwi

Just stumbled upon this thread after a google search, and whilst it didn't answer my question I thought there might be someone familiar with HASS and emby here that knew a solution.

I'm exposing emby to HASS using the media.player setting in the configuration.yaml file and I'd like to create a specific group that contains all the emby entities.  I don't want to manually create this, as they tend to change dynamically and was hoping there would be a way to group things together based on a wildcard type entry, such as media_player.emby*

Can't seem to find a way to do this and have run out of google-fu!

Any ideas?

Edited by adrianwi