Home Automation

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

Okay, now that I have emby running nice and smooth on my new server I have broke down and started to get into home automation.

I am starting out with home assistant. I ordered a Philip's Hue and a Amazon Echo Dot. Those should be on this week.

One of the things I would like to do with this new setup is to use home assistant to watch Dark Sky and then if a storm is approaching send out a mass broadcast message to all clients connected, mainly Roku's. As well as turn my bedroom TV to a local news station.

I look forward to here suggestions and ideas. As well as seeing others home automation systems.

PS - Mods if we need to create another sub forum for home automation please move this to that thread. I know this is alexia and other threads in the general area.

• Like 1

pir8radio

Okay, now that I have emby running nice and smooth on my new server I have broke down and started to get into home automation.

I am starting out with home assistant. I ordered a Philip's Hue and a Amazon Echo Dot. Those should be on this week.

One of the things I would like to do with this new setup is to use home assistant to watch Dark Sky and then if a storm is approaching send out a mass broadcast message to all clients connected, mainly Roku's. As well as turn my bedroom TV to a local news station.

I look forward to here suggestions and ideas. As well as seeing others home automation systems.

PS - Mods if we need to create another sub forum for home automation please move this to that thread. I know this is alexia and other threads in the general area.

I don't know about "Dark Sky" but look into Axial Home Automation server, it's what I use. The guy does his software a lot like emby does here, if you request something he will actually try to make it happen. 

But built in Axial is a weather monitor module, Axial can also send and receive http commands.  For example to roku.  He is working on an interface to Harmony Hub for IR control of devices.   So when the harmony hub module is complete,  Axial can monitor the weather, when a storm is coming set your TV input to "TV" and tune to a channel. Shut your garage door, send a text to all phones, blah blah blah..  The "broadcast to roku" is the part I don't know about.    I know you didn't really ask about a server or controller, but Axial can pretty much do what you are asking, minus the roku bit, out of the box.     Welcome to home automation!  lol another money sucker...     

Here is some of the weather that is monitored in Axial:      And the phone app:

593553a4f1a11_weather.png                       593554c617425_phone.png

Tur0k

I use homeseer HS3 as my home automation server. I have a homeseer zstick+ and use a host of z-wave devices (switches, dimmers, 3 position fan switches, door/window sensors, dry contact sensors, HVAC control, power monitors, power outlets, motion sensors, etc). I also have it setup to monitor my network equipment and am working on configuring it to perform scheduled reboots of all my equipment.

I was able to get my HS3 server to be aware of KODI front ends in my home, using a third party developed plugin, and am planning to get it integrated with Emby.

1. Currently, I can send messages to Kodi directly from events built on my HS3 server.

2. There is, also, a weather info plugin, that could be used to gather storm info.

3. Lastly, to control your tv, there are network attached IR blasters that integrate with HS3, using a third party plugin, that could be used change the channel. Alternatively, here is also a harmony plugin that could be used to control the channel as well.

HS3 is a very powerful tool, for creating event driven home automation. I am planning on adding a whole home audio system, garage door control, local weather monitoring, lightning detection, updating/integrating my house alarm, implement pet location monitoring, and adding smart sprinkler control systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k

mediacowboy

I have looked at Homeseer and CastleOS but at this time I don't have money for that. So far from what I have seen Home Assistant does everything I want it to do. I just have to get everything in and buy a house. 

While I have everyone's hears anyone know of a good windows guide for setting up Mosquitto and Owntrack?

The roku part is easy

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/?p=298418

Remember the servers send text feature? It is perfect for this. Albeit the send text/send message features arent exposed on the server remote control panel presently... But the roku part of displaying text dialogs is simple even over the video player while it plays content.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

I use Vera Edge and @@chef has already created a mios plugin for emby to launch what ever scene/device you want when you start stop and pause movies,TV,music etc. Currently I have rgb led bulbs in main cinema room and when I play a movie they change to light blue then dimm for 5mins then off. When I press pause they return to full blue brightness then when un pause dimm for 5mins them off. For stop they return to full blue brightness for 30mins then off (unless another actions is triggered e.g play another movie)

• Like 2

PenkethBoy

I use Vera Edge and @@chef has already created a mios plugin for emby to launch what ever scene/device you want when you start stop and pause movies,TV,music etc. Currently I have rgb led bulbs in main cinema room and when I play a movie they change to light blue then dimm for 5mins then off. When I press pause they return to full blue brightness then when un pause dimm for 5mins them off. For stop they return to full blue brightness for 30mins then off (unless another actions is triggered e.g play another movie)

Cool like that idea - was it easy to setup?

PrincessClevage

Cool like that idea - was it easy to setup?

Very easy, plugin for emby is straight forward and just create what ever Scene (mios Vera word for actions) you want on the home controller. I could of done any number of actions e.g set air con to xyz or power on pop corn machine etc etc (if I had these devices). I believe the emby plugin will only work with Vera unit (atm) tho, one reason why I bought a Vera edge Edited by PrincessClevage
  • Like 1

Farfignugget
The roku part is easyhttps://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/?p=298418

Remember the servers send text feature? It is perfect for this. Albeit the send text/send message features arent exposed on the server remote control panel presently... But the roku part of displaying text dialogs is simple even over the video player while it plays content.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk[/quote

Wow, you are soooo smart!

The roku part is easyhttps://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/?p=298418

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk[/quote

Wow, you are soooo smart!

@grace1313 @@ifignella you are quite the odd square peg in a round hole universe. So now another username, eh? Now its farfignugget. You follow me around like a little puppy bro. Find a new hobby. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PrincessClevage

Oh boy! My most favourite topic EVER! [emoji38][emoji95][emoji898]

I use veralite, with my home brew OWIN server to control Arduino IOTs (my home Made Arduinos run window blinds etc.)

I use ha-bridge to control vera with Alexa, and it also allows control of my OWIN server wi Alexa. So Arduino runs with voice command.

I also attached my home security camera to Alexa with computer vision. Alexa will describe the persons gender and approx age at my front door when I ask.

I also use an old dial up modem to intercept incoming phone calls and call display. I can then ask Alexa who's call my home and it will tell me.

Alexa will control emby through a home brew skill.

I recently (just yesterday) connected several Bluetooth radios into the echo dot, and then attached whole home audio for Alexa, through hidden Bluetooth light fixtures in my home. Now the echo will speak in every room if I want it too.[emoji38]

I can show you code of you want. It's pretty cool.

These are beta videos, now that I have a really intuitive Computer Vision Neural Network running it has learned a great deal about my front enterance...lol!

Like I said I have given Alexa eyes to see and it knows gender and age... [emoji106]

Are you still working on security camera plugin for Emby Chef? That would be really cool/handy to have a Popup pip on your screen when watching emby if someone is at the door for example.

chef

Are you still working on security camera plugin for Emby Chef? That would be really cool/handy to have a Popup pip on your screen when watching emby if someone is at the door for example.

The only issue with emby pop ups are that they appear right, smack-dab in the middle of the screen and have a giant, green "Got it"! Button on them. It would completely ruin you theater experience. I tried it with phone calls, and it was the worst.

If perhaps we could get the lead devs to make a less conspicuous alert... Maybe a small popup from the corner. Kind of how the dashboard shows "Item Saved" notifications, I would certainly write that plugin... In a heart beat!

It would also be able to handle some other feature requests regarding messaging users that have been made as well.

It's just that the "Got it" message is in your face. We need something with a little more tact.

Edited by chef

When you send a message if you specify a timeout then you get a toast like the item saved notifications.

chef

When you send a message if you specify a timeout then you get a toast like the item saved notifications.

There you have it @princesscleavage

I'll start on it right way. Well, it'll at least be a sort of messaging plugin. How we incorporate it into IP cameras may yet to be discovered. Every cam has a different setup.

It may prove to be difficult to get the proper events from all the different IP camera apps.

Gotta think about this one.

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

There you have it @princesscleavage

I'll start on it right way. Well, it'll at least be a sort of messaging plugin. How we incorporate it into IP cameras may yet to be discovered. Every cam has a different setup.

It may prove to be difficult to get the proper events from all the different IP camera apps.

Gotta think about this one.

I have two foscam I.p cameras tied into Vera if I can help with testing

PrincessClevage

@@chef do you have Dreamscreen setup?

http://www.dreamscreentv.com

I ordered 4k version ( I still have 1080p tv but future proofing) and I believe the new version will integrate with Phillips hue lighting and hopefully Vera unit. I am hoping it can be turned on off with your mios Emby plugin to only be active when I play a movie. I already have a couple of aeon smart switch 6 that I could use to control power to the unit of it does not support native Vera integration.

Edited by PrincessClevage

chef

@@chef do you have Dreamscreen setup?

http://www.dreamscreentv.com

I ordered 4k version ( I still have 1080p tv but future proofing) and I believe the new version will integrate with Phillips hue lighting and hopefully Vera unit. I am hoping it can be turned on off with your mios Emby plugin to only be active when I play a movie. I already have a couple of aeon smart switch 6 that I could use to control power to the unit of it does not support native Vera integration.

I've seen those units built with raspi, I wanted to purchase one but was waiting for the price to drop a bit. They're pretty awesome!

Wonder if they have wifi and an API?

EDIT: it looks as though the newer versions do have wifi and a phone app, which means it just might be controlable.

FYI I almost have a messaging plugin written ;)

Edited by chef

PrincessClevage

I've seen those units built with raspi, I wanted to purchase one but was waiting for the price to drop a bit. They're pretty awesome!

Wonder if they have wifi and an API?

EDIT: it looks as though the newer versions do have wifi and a phone app, which means it just might be controlable.

FYI I almost have a messaging plugin written ;)

The old version uses Bluetooth and new HD and 4k version use wifi and apparently can control Phillips hue light so I assume the will have some api.

Wow so quick happy to be a gunnipig for the messaging plugin. Do you have some method for easy toggle on/off messages? Could the plugin accept messages from IFTTT?

chef

The old version uses Bluetooth and new HD and 4k version use wifi and apparently can control Phillips hue light so I assume the will have some api.

Wow so quick happy to be a gunnipig for the messaging plugin. Do you have some method for easy toggle on/off messages? Could the plugin accept messages from IFTTT?

Cool if the lights can be controlled by Phillips hue, then vera will totally control it, and thus emby can.

That's really cool!

IFTTT, I'll look into it again.

Initially you'll be able to broadcast two types of messages to individual clients, or all users (depending on the clients capabilities).

PrincessClevage

Cool if the lights can be controlled by Phillips hue, then vera will totally control it, and thus emby can.

That's really cool!

IFTTT, I'll look into it again.

Initially you'll be able to broadcast two types of messages to individual clients, or all users (depending on the clients capabilities).

Hmm I had better start researching front door camera options. Perhaps with doorbell/Comms integrated... Any suggestions?

Maybe something like this might integrate well?

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/?iid=132194993391&chn=ps&&&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F705-139619-5960-0%252F2%253Fmpre%253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.com.au%25252Fitm%25252Flike%25252F132194993391%25253Fchn%25253Dps%252526chn%25253Dps%252520%2526itemid%253D132194993391%2526targetid%253D309701500520%2526device%253Dm%2526adtype%253Dpla%2526googleloc%253D9069169%2526poi%253D%2526campaignid%253D823130089%2526adgroupid%253D41027482983%2526rlsatarget%253Daud-306586637742%253Apla-309701500520%2526abcId%253D1118876%2526merchantid%253D7364522%2526gclid%253DCLuhj_SOrtQCFYsEKgodMqUCjg%2526srcrot%253D705-139619-5960-0%2526rvr_id%253D1226928381096&chn=ps

mediacowboy

So so far I am still a Noob. I have bought a Amazon Echo Dot and Philips Hue starter pack (Controller and 2 white lights). I will hopefully start playing with those two things and setting up scenes in Home Assistant.

While I wrap my head around Owntracks and MQTT setup on windows. I don't know since It isn't much to get a raspberry pi 3. I am do that and move all my home automation to that. I just thought it would be nice to combined everything in one machine.

chef

So so far I am still a Noob. I have bought a Amazon Echo Dot and Philips Hue starter pack (Controller and 2 white lights). I will hopefully start playing with those two things and setting up scenes in Home Assistant.

While I wrap my head around Owntracks and MQTT setup on windows. I don't know since It isn't much to get a raspberry pi 3. I am do that and move all my home automation to that. I just thought it would be nice to combined everything in one machine.

I've been watching quite a few guys building mqtt into Arduino trough ESP8266 chips. I have five ESP8266s, but they run on 3.3 volts and I need to build a voltage divider in order to use them.

Home assistant is a perfect match for home made Arduino devices. There is no need for PCs to be running any sort of intermediary between Arduino and home automation controllers. I'm really interested in how you are going to get things up and running! Keep posting your findings!

mediacowboy

Well I finally got all the DLL and stuff needed to run Mosquitto MQTT on windows. WTF. Why not bundle everything needed. Well I know why. Most people are running Mossquitto MQTT on a Raspberry PI. I can post the DLL in a zip here if anyone is interested or needs them.

Now to figure out Owntracks.

Edited by mediacowboy