iOS app randomly crash during playback

jscoys

jscoys

Hello team!

While playing movies with iOS app, the app crashes (just shit down) at random periods. It happens at every bitrates, and it could last 5 minutes or 30 minutes. I can't explain why...

I tested only from outside home and not on local. With iPhone and iPad. Someone else having the problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by jscoys

• 2 weeks later...

You're using an ffmpeg build we have not tested. Try deleting it and letting the server redownload it on next startup.

jscoys

Ok Luke i did it and now I'm using the version from the 8th of March 2017. Will try again and give you feedbacks. Thx!

jscoys

Hello could an other iPhone app user could test also please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwongjay

Hello could an other iPhone app user could test also please?

What version of the app are you using? I'm using the beta version. I started streaming remotely 4 mins ago and will report back when either it finishes or an error is thrown.

Edited by mwongjay

jscoys

In fact the app should shutdown. I'm using the 1.38 and the server is 3.2.20.2 beta. Thx for doing the test, let me know if everything's working on your side.

mwongjay

What about the playback so far?

Still playing, no errors.

jscoys

[emoji79][emoji79][emoji79][emoji79][emoji79][emoji79][emoji79][emoji79][emoji79]

jscoys

I think I'm mad you know. Will do more tests. You tried with iPhone, iPad? Inside or outside network?

mwongjay

I think I'm mad you know. Will do more tests. You tried with iPhone, iPad? Inside or outside network?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.3.2. Outside network.

jscoys

Hum iPhone 6 but I dont think it will change anything. Will reinstall the app and test again. Thx for your help!

barat

For me it can "crash" when after watching almost whole movie (well .. 24 min, 4min left) I try to rewind it to the end to mark it as watched. If I move progressbar to end - app will shut down, if I put it 3-5s before end and just wait then everything is OK.

mwongjay

For me it can "crash" when after watching almost whole movie (well .. 24 min, 4min left) I try to rewind it to the end to mark it as watched. If I move progressbar to end - app will shut down, if I put it 3-5s before end and just wait then everything is OK.

What device, app version?

barat

What device, app version?

OMG ... just realised ... it's not iOS, but Android App (newest from Play Store, HTC M8, Android 6.0). Please delete or move my post ... but case is still valid

On iPAD there was no crashes (except VA API not able to transcode made Emby App freeze)

Edited by barat

jscoys

Ok its great! Good news I tested again from outside my network by reinstalling completely the app and then it worked! Was able to watch a 30 minutes video without crash. Just a little point : my iPhone were really hot, like when I use Snapchat it becomes really hot and then the app crashes... did you do something that get more power from cpu/GPU of the iPhone?

Moreover for @@Luke : when deleted ffmpeg directory to let server recreated, it did. But when I go in transco settings and chose the option "use internal ffmpeg" it says it can't locate it... so I have to check "use custom..." and then specify the full path... any idea about that?

Edited by jscoys

mwongjay

Ok its great! Good news I tested again from outside my network by reinstalling completely the app and then it worked! Was able to watch a 30 minutes video without crash. Just a little point : my iPhone were really hot, like when I use Snapchat it becomes really hot and then the app crashes... did you do something that get more power from cpu/GPU of the iPhone?

Moreover for @@Luke : when deleted ffmpeg directory to let server recreated, it did. But when I go in transco settings and chose the option "use internal ffmpeg" it says it can't locate it... so I have to check "use custom..." and then specify the full path... any idea about that?

Well, I've never experienced my phone getting hot enough that it starts crashing specific apps. That being said when your iphone gets too hot it will start limiting available features of the phone to help reduce the temperature so if the app were relying on some hardware that was disabled and didn't have exception handling to deal with the lack of that feature it may cause a crash, but without further testing this is just speculation. The iPhone doesn't have any internal cooling fans or heatsink so the entire phone really just acts as a heatsink which is why you feel it get warm when you use it for gps, streaming, etc. and it's normal.

We should just stop allowing you to configure it.

jscoys

We should just stop allowing you to configure it.

So you want to avoid also all hardware accelerations or you would like to push an FFMPEG build that can handle these by default?