HDD S.M.A.R.T. Status: BAD

pmac

Hi, I'm new to using Drive Bender, but really liking it so far. One thing that seems handy on it is the fact it's combined with HD Sentinel now, so I've got HDD monitoring.

I've just noticed today that the smart monitoring is saying that the drive status of one of my HDD's is "Bad" but I don't really see anything else on there that lets me know why it's "bad".

I haven't had any problems with it or anything, I'd just like to know why it would get this reading. It's the oldest drive that I own, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I lose it, but I was just wondering if based on the information provided, if anyone else could tell me why I would get this message in Drive Bender:

53019e484d166_SMARTStatus1.jpg

53019e5acfd2e_SMARTStatus3.jpg

53019e6c3240d_SMARTStatus2.jpg

Thanks,

Patrick

trusselo

fyi.. bad means bad. smart status is an overall 'score' of read/write fails/bad sectors ect.

doesnt matter what or why. its bad.

replace ASAP

Logos302

There is one case were bad is not bad, and that's when that s.m.a.r.t senser it self is bad.  But as everyone has said already better safe then sorry replace the drive.  

Okay, thanks guys.

I knew that I'd have to replace that drive shortly anyways... Now the question is, what's the best way for me to backup and replace the drive, since it's a pooled drive?

Remove the drive from the pool and then back it up? At least this way, no new data would be written to it. I could back it up to another disk and continue using it until it fails. I can't really afford to replace it right now, so I'd back it up on an existing drive. I'd rather hold off on buying any HDD's until I can afford some 3TB reds.

Logos302

If I'm not mistaken when you're using drive bender, when you remove it from the pool it will transfer any data to the remaining disks.  So as long as you have space in your pool for the data just removing it should do the trick.  

Okay thanks, I just started the removal process a little while ago, I thought that's what it looked like it was doing. I guess I can't really back up that drive anymore. I'll just have to wait for it to finish being removed from the pool and eventually replace the drive.

I plan on eventually building a JBOD box for backup using WD red drives. Just don't have the funds for that right now... I'll just have to keep my eye on the smart status of the drives I've got for now!

Looks like I migh have missed the boat on this one. Part of the way through removing the drive I encountered a read error, so I manually removed the drive and tried manually copying the files, but after about 20GB I got an error and looking under disk management, I found my drive wouldn't initialize... I took it out of the older USB2 enclosure and put it into a newer USB3 enclosure, and had the same problem. I'm in the process of data recovery right now, hopefully it's successful...

So I've tried a few attempts at data recovery with no luck... And I still can't get the drive to initialize. :(

Luckily I started using Drive Bender, so there are duplicates of all my movie folders on all of my drives, so now at least when I go into the MB3 Web Client and browse my collection it shows a blank spot for all of the movies I lost, so I was able to make a list of all the missing ones:

53039c27eb3b0_LostMovies.jpg

So now I've got 163 missing titles to add back to my collection.

Not a total loss I suppose, at least I was able to compile a list...