Pi3 Crashes on library scan

karaskis

karaskis

Hi All,

My Pi3 is crashing on Emby's movie or TV library scan. Emby is not able to finish the activity (usually freezes around 70%) and I even lose SHH connection. To restart I have to unplug Pi.

All files are on a ext4 external HDD with it's own power supply. I have performed a long fsck and HDD/data seems OK.

I'm running on Version 3.2.19.0 on a clean (new) OSMC install and have used the official instructions to install Emby https://emby.media/c...l-instructions/ .

Could anyone please take a look at the attached log? I can't find what's wrong.  :(

5933042e8f5ab_CapturadeTela20170530as223

Log.txt

tdiguy

Only thing i noticed was it seems like it has had issues connecting to the movie database and another metadata site.

karaskis

Only thing i noticed was it seems like it has had issues connecting to the movie database and another metadata site.

@@tdiguy, Good catch.

I tried disabling the "Download artwork and metadata from the internet" and the "Save artwork and metadata into media folders" options but it still crashed.

Last available log shows:

2017-06-04 09:16:39.7658 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.100.6. Time: 199ms. http://192.168.100.3:8096/emby/Packages/Updates?PackageType=UserInstalled

2017-06-04 09:16:40.9169 Info ProviderManager: Saving image to /config/metadata/library/36/364f4cf535a58dece9ba10fa9c8535b2/poster.jpg

���������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

Questions: 

1) Why is Emby saving image if I turned that option off?

2) Can't this be some HDD access issue? Something as HDD goes to "sleep" and Emby can't access it and crashes?

Log2.txt

tdiguy

One of the real guru's here would be much better at giving a good answer on this lol. I started using emby like a month ago i think. 

@@Luke @hurricanehernandez 

karaskis

One of the real guru's here would be much better at giving a good answer on this lol. I started using emby like a month ago i think. 

@@Luke @hurricanehernandez 

Ok, tks.

@@Luke, @[member=hurricanehrndz] can please help me!

Tried scanning again and the last log event shows server crashed when basically performing the same step.

2017-06-04 17:55:25.0190 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.100.6. Time: 11ms. http://192.168.100.3:8096/emby/ScheduledTasks?IsEnabled=true

2017-06-04 17:55:25.0681 Info App: Validating media library

2017-06-04 17:55:35.7684 Info ImageProcessor: Creating image collage and saving to /config/cache/temp/8c433575423d4501b54369a1e6fa008e.png

2017-06-04 17:55:37.6291 Info ImageProcessor: Completed creation of image collage and saved to /config/cache/temp/8c433575423d4501b54369a1e6fa008e.png

2017-06-04 17:55:37.6871 Info ProviderManager: Saving image to /config/metadata/library/45/4514ec850e5ad0c47b58444e17b6346c/poster.png

Log3.txt

Edited by karaskis

codenamegamma

you're all in luck as i know what's happening and how to get around fixing it. in the settings for emby turn down the number of threads. i set mine down to 2, then the "Max Items to request from the server per download thread"  lower that down to from 25 to 10 or 15, if it still crashes, also lower the "Limit Artwork Cache Threads" from whatever the default is, down to by at least 10. after that everything should run smoothly. the default settings that come with emby will crash the pi no matter how you have kodi running on it. 

you're all in luck as i know what's happening and how to get around fixing it. in the settings for emby turn down the number of threads. i set mine down to 2, then the "Max Items to request from the server per download thread"  lower that down to from 25 to 10 or 15, if it still crashes, also lower the "Limit Artwork Cache Threads" from whatever the default is, down to by at least 10. after that everything should run smoothly. the default settings that come with emby will crash the pi no matter how you have kodi running on it. 

Well that's Emby for Kodi, I think right now we're just talking about Emby Server. Thanks for the info though, very useful for the Emby for Kodi add-on.

in both logs there is image processing towards the end. it sounds like some sort of crash coming from imagemagick. we are in process of switching to a new image processing library although that work is not complete yet.

Unfortunately we do not currently have a way to disable the collage generation that is at the end of the log, but if you can switch over to the server beta channel then I can add a hidden config switch for that.

Before doing that though, just go into library setup and make sure each library has a custom image assigned that is not the server generated collage. it won't try to create the collages if you do this. assign those images then try running a library scan. see if that helps. thanks.

karaskis

in both logs there is image processing towards the end. it sounds like some sort of crash coming from imagemagick. we are in process of switching to a new image processing library although that work is not complete yet.

Unfortunately we do not currently have a way to disable the collage generation that is at the end of the log, but if you can switch over to the server beta channel then I can add a hidden config switch for that.

Before doing that though, just go into library setup and make sure each library has a custom image assigned that is not the server generated collage. it won't try to create the collages if you do this. assign those images then try running a library scan. see if that helps. thanks.

@@Luke,

I've assigned jpg to both libraries and ran a scan. Server crashed again. It seems as a different error though. 

Ok, how do I switch to the beta channel? 

Tks

Log4.txt

karaskis

Check our download page to see if we have beta instructions for the distro that you're using:

https://emby.media/download.html

We do not have a way of switching channels though so it would be a new installation.

No problem on re installing. 

I checked that page but only found the released version installation guide https://emby.media/docker-server.html 

Can you be more specific where I can find the beta? I'm sorry for that.  :wacko:

karaskis

I think you should be able to download the latest emby beta mono zip file and just unzip it over your current installation:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases

@@Luke,

I wasn't able to install the beta version but did a complete new install of release 3.2.20.0 that according the updates should fiz the library scan.

Unfortunately library scan is still crashing on my Pi. It seems as the exact same problem as before, see log below and attached.

Any clues what I should do?

Tks

2017-06-15 11:14:55.7677 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://api.themoviedb.org/3/movie/324786?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&append_to_response=casts,releases,images,keywords,trailers&language=en&include_image_language=en,null

2017-06-15 11:14:56.1838 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://webservice.fanart.tv/v3/movies/324786?api_key=5c6b04c68e904cfed1e6cbc9a9e683d4

��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

Log5.txt

karaskis

@@karaskis, as a test, can you try disabling internet metadata providers for your emby libraries? thanks.

Hi @@Luke,

Scanning went further (~92%) but Pi still crashed. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the metadata providers but something when creating/saving the images. Can't this be an "overload" of Pi's processing capacity or the HHD writing speed?

Log attached.

Tks

2017-06-18 13:12:59.1524 Info ProviderManager: Saving image to /config/metadata/library/f8/f8dbf7a2ab1427f4b038db28cd08f8ab/landscape.png

2017-06-18 13:12:59.2021 Info ImageProcessor: Creating image collage and saving to /config/cache/temp/93198cd9e5c845669d63bc18c15d4767.png

���������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

Log6.txt

I notice the final log entries are related to image collage creation. I think for the next release what we'll do is just disable this for arm cpu's going forward.

tdiguy

Very curious, are you using a microsd card for your setup? By that I mean for osmc I see that the media is on external drives.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Edited by tdiguy

karaskis

Very curious, are you using a microsd card for your setup? By that I mean for osmc I see that the media is on external drives.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yes @@tdiguy, OSMC is on a microsd and the media is on a external drive. Do you need any information about the SD?

Tks

karaskis

I notice the final log entries are related to image collage creation. I think for the next release what we'll do is just disable this for arm cpu's going forward.

Ok, as soon as it's released I'll retry. Hope it solves the issue.