Search does not work perfect in emby

gsites

gsites

I have a problem with emby.
Does the search no longer work for the movie content or file name?
For me, it only works with the name of the movie, and never with the file or written content.

Look at this example:

9337949178624122bd564e93b745e9cb.jpeg

e32b5304699c4cf7a4d7e6422498beb8.jpeg

Thank you

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

As far as I'm concerned, Emby Search never looks at file name, whether in movies, tv, or music.

It might work or have worked before in "home videos" or "mixed content" (content that is by definition unrecognizable by themoviedb, tvdb etc)

On the other hand, Library Scan must be looking at folder path/file name to try to identify newly added content, but only until it found a match.

In your capture, the filename looks like an imdb identifier, and judging by what we see just before it (01\01), you sure have a "unique" way to organize your content.

Following established movie naming convention, it would look more like: Movies\Joy (2015)\Joy (2015).mp4

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

Edited by jlr19

it has always been based on name, but we plan to improve it in the future and incorporate other characteristics such as path. thanks !

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

it has always been based on name, but we plan to improve it in the future and incorporate other characteristics such as path. thanks !

@@Luke

Emby Search has always been based on name ?!?!?! Search as in content already part of a library, as opposed to scraping/identifying newly acquired content.

Please advise

Happy2Play

Emby Search has always been based on name ?!?!?! Search as in content already part of a library, as opposed to scraping/identifying newly acquired content.

Please advise

This would be metadata Title name based.

I don't think you guys are going to like the results if we start adding the path to the search as well. Think about how many results could be produced that would appear to be completely unrelated by simply searching for a sequence of characters that happens to exist in the path...

bfir3

I don't think you guys are going to like the results if we start adding the path to the search as well. Think about how many results could be produced that would appear to be completely unrelated by simply searching for a sequence of characters that happens to exist in the path...

I would sincerely hope it would be optionally triggered by a UI setting or a "filename:" keyword, and would also probably expect it to only match with filenames and nothing from the root folder path.

CharleyVarrick

I just want to confirm my understanding of how Emby works.

But I have a feeling we're talking 2 different things here:

1) Searching. With the looking glass tool, I want to find something  that's already added in library.

As far as I know, Emby does NOT use filename but established library name. Should they be different (as it happens once in a while), search will yield nothing with filename

2) Adding  new media to a monitored folder: this trigger the process by which Emby looks it up, ID's it, then adds it to the library.

As no metadata exist beforehand, this is the only occurence where Emby must use filename to try find a match.

Edited by jlr19

I just want to confirm my understanding of how Emby works.

But I have a feeling we're talking 2 different things here:

1) Searching. With the looking glass tool, I want to find something  that's already added in library.

As far as I know, Emby does NOT use filename but established library name. Should they be different (as it happens once in a while), search will yield nothing with filename

2) Adding  new media to a monitored folder: this trigger the process by which Emby looks it up, ID's it, then adds it to the library.

As no metadata exist beforehand, this is the only occurence where Emby must use filename to try find a match.

This topic is talking about 1.

Andy29485

So I would like search to work with all fields, not just title and path, but description, original title, episode number, artist, etc... I realise that this will produce a lot of results, to which I suggest (for starters - see how people like it before implementing a better UI) adding a checkbox to the search named "advanced search". Unchecked it would work as it does now. Checked it would perform advanced searches:

• Search other(all) fields
  • Search query as a set(so "hello world" gives the same results as "world hello")
  • Hierarchical search(so searching for "<artist name> <song name>" or "<show name> <ep number/name>" does not return nothing)

Additionally this could be expanded to have more options(think google search):

• quoted things are matched exactly
  • things starting with a `-` are negatively matched
  • etc...

Also, it would be nice if this got carried over the the rest API(say `?advanced=1`).

Final note, I really like how calibre does searching, makes browsing my collection of books/comics/reference guides really nice.

Direct API access to the backed DB would be nice too.

• 6 years later...
kingmustard
On 10/06/2017 at 04:11, Andy29485 said:

So I would like search to work with all fields, not just title and path, but description, original title, episode number, artist, etc... I realise that this will produce a lot of results, to which I suggest (for starters - see how people like it before implementing a better UI) adding a checkbox to the search named "advanced search". Unchecked it would work as it does now. Checked it would perform advanced searches:

• Search other(all) fields
  • Search query as a set(so "hello world" gives the same results as "world hello")
  • Hierarchical search(so searching for "<artist name> <song name>" or "<show name> <ep number/name>" does not return nothing)

Additionally this could be expanded to have more options(think google search):

• quoted things are matched exactly
  • things starting with a `-` are negatively matched
  • etc...

Also, it would be nice if this got carried over the the rest API(say `?advanced=1`).

Final note, I really like how calibre does searching, makes browsing my collection of books/comics/reference guides really nice.

Direct API access to the backed DB would be nice too.

+1 on being able to search film descriptions.

At the moment, searching for 'Christmas' only brings up films with 'Christmas' in the title in the film, and does not bring up films such as Gremlins (1984), even though the description is:

"When Billy Peltzer is given a strange but adorable pet named Gizmo for Christmas, he inadvertently breaks the three important rules of caring for a Mogwai, unleashing a horde of mischievous gremlins on a small town."

• Agree 1