No picture when starting app

eric859

eric859

I don't get a picture at all until I hit the windows key.  Then I'll get a screen refresh showing a login screen for Emby Theater, but I can't do anything.  It's like the screen won't refresh and show any image from Emby Theater at all.  I eventually have to start Task Manager and kill the process.  Not sure where to start troubleshooting here.  Hopefully, I'm not the only one with this problem.  Any ideas?

Thanks

eric859

Could it be a video driver incompatablility issue?  I use the intel built in video driver on the i3 chip.

What exactly do you mean by don't get a picture? where does this happen?

PrincessClevage
Could it be a video driver incompatablility issue? I use the intel built in video driver on the i3 chip.[/quotes]

I had a similar experience, launch ET and get black screen until the ET window was manually moved then a picture would appear. I then changed from Radeon Ati graphics card to a Nvidia GT 710 (fanless) for $50 and loaded latest win 10 driver and now killing ET with alt +F4 and then launching no longer produces the black screen, ET launches correctly so likely gpu driver related.

Edited by PrincessClevage

eric859

I use the Intel 4000 onboard video.  I am also using Win 7.  I tried updating the driver.  That didn't work.  Whenever I try to start Emby, the window opens, but only shows the background desktop image.  When I move the window around by dragging it, I'll get strange clear background distortions instead of a refresh of the window.  I believe it's just not compatible with my video driver or there's a setting that is not set correctly.  Not sure what to do here.

GrotShot

I have this same issue. ET Windows version starts but has a completely black screen. Move the mouse around and the cursor changes so items in the window are clickable. Maximising / Minimising the window or moving the window makes no difference. I've tried the MPV Test link above and uninstalling and re-installing from the website download link but those are exactly the same.

PC running Windows 10 Creators update.

I would make sure windows updates and your graphics drivers are fully up to date.

• 9 months later...
eric859

DL'd the newest version of Emby Theatre and this is still happening.  I get an invisible window.  I know that the window is there because if I put another window over it and minimize that window, it Emby Theatre window takes shows the content of the window that was in front of it.  It's very strange.  Am I the only one that this is happening to? 

elshagon

I've been having this problem for a long time.  When I launch emby theater it just shows a black screen unless I drag the bottom of the emby screen up and then back down and then it displays.  Even then after watching a show it will lose focus again and I can't get any controls to move back to the menu again.  It's as if ET doesn't have focus and only gets it once you drag the screen smaller and then back out again.  A few months ago I was able to just double click on the screen to get the menu to display instead of just a black screen, but now the only thing that works is dragging it in and out with the mouse.  Windows 10 machine with AMD video card.

elshagon

I tried something that seems to have worked at opening it correctly instead of to a black screen.  I right clicked on the emby theater shortcut and under properties I clicked to run the program in compatibility mode for Windows 7.  So far it's working.

eric859

Holy crap!  Windows 7 comp mode didn't work probably because I'm running Windows 7, but Vista SP2 worked!  Thanks!

elshagon

It worked for me until I restarted my pc then it went back to the black screen again.  Someone in another thread had a solution if you have your taskbar set to auto hide.  Once I turned off the auto hide taskbar option it has solved the problem.  For now :)