3.2.18.0 Server - Live TV Issues

blade005

blade005

@@Luke

The upgrade to 3.2.18.0 Stable Server has brought back Live TV playback and recording issues that I was experiencing in previous Beta server versions. I had to fall back to the 3.2.17.0 Stable version to get a quality Live TV playback and recording experience.

Emby Server: 3.2.18.0 (Win10 Machine)

Emby Theater: 2.7.8

Emby Live TV with HDHomeRun Tuners

Here are my observations. (3.2.18.0 Server Log including Live TV Session with Emby Theater that exhibits quality issues stated below.) https://paste2.org/F8bbXMM1

1. Live TV stream that would start up in about 5 seconds on average is now taking about 25-30 seconds.
  2. Live TV that has always Direct Played is now Direct Streaming for all instances. It is hitting my transcode drive, which I assume is for whatever it believes it needs to transcode instead of Direct Play with Live TV stream.
  3. I get Video with very poor pixelated quality and lots of green wash out. Same channel with HDHomeRun app will play with perfect quality right after Emby test.
  4. Record a channel and you capture the same poor pixelated quality picture.

If I roll back to Server Version 3.2.17.0 from System.old folder, observations 1, 2, 3 & 4 above are corrected. (3.2.17.0 Server log including Live TV session with Emby Theater that has no quality issues during playback or recording.) https://paste2.org/7tjLJev7

1. Channel start up back to 4 to 5 seconds.
  2. Live TV stream back to Direct Play.
  3. Video and Audio quality back to normal.
  4. Recorded TV .TS file is captured with expected quality.

I turned off Automatic Updates and Auto Restart in the SETTINGS - AUTOMATIC UPDATES section before falling back to 3.2.17.0, but as soon as it starts back up with 17.0 version, Emby then prompts me to update to 18.0 again. I won't update at the moment in order to preserve Recording capability. Do I have to kill the check in Scheduled Tasks as well? I would have thought that turning off Automatic Updates in Dashboard would have worked.

Edited by blade005

nominion

I'm experienced the exact same symptoms after upgrading to 3.2.18.  I had to roll back as well.  

clarkss12

I am not experiencing any of these symptoms, running Emby Theater on my Vorke V2, Windows 10 mini PC.  I am using an older HDHomeRun Dual OTA networked tuner, for my TV signal.  Emby server is running on my $40 Amlogic S905x, running Ubuntu 16.04, and the live TV stream is "Direct Playing".  The only thing I "need" is closed captioning.

One more bit of information, when I hit the "play" button, it takes 5 to 8 seconds to start playing.  My tuner has an led indicator for each of the 2 internal tuners, and it sits under my TV.  When I hit the "play" button, one of the indicator LED's, on the tuner lights up instantly, even though the live stream takes 5 to 8 seconds to play.  Also, as soon as I stop the live stream, the LED goes out immediately.

Edited by clarkss12

blade005

Best thing to do is please provide the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks !

@@Luke

Updated Post #1 with Server log from 3.2.18.0 that exhibits Live TV playback and recording issues and a Server log from 3.2.17.0 that I roll back to and the playback issues are not present.

Let me know what else you may need to investigate further.

Guest asrequested

I'm not getting all of those issues, but I am getting picture break up. Plays perfectly with the HDHR player

592f86e955f3b_Produce.gif

Edited by Doofus

blade005

@

That is the playback experience I am seeing. Perhaps my picture breakup is a bit worse and it also will show a lot of green during the breakup. One thing that is different from previous beta experience is that the Dashboard is showing Direct Playing where before it showed Direct Streaming. But, even though dashboard is showing Direct Playing, I can see that the drive where I have temporary transcoding path set is active.

I drop back to 3.2.17.0 and all issues are no longer present. Quick start up, Direct Play without hitting transcoding path drive and no breakup of picture.

Thank you for sharing the visual that my words were likely not communicating very well.

Please try 3.2.18.2 beta and let me know how that compares for you. Thanks.

Sorry, I meant 3.2.18.3 which I replaced it with right after. Thanks.

blade005

@@Luke,

Ran stable server update that is now at 3.2.19.0 and Live TV is playing without breakup issues. Many thanks.

• 4 years later...
On 5/31/2017 at 10:08 PM, clarkss12 said:

I am not experiencing any of these symptoms, running Emby Theater on my Vorke V2, Windows 10 mini PC.  I am using an older HDHomeRun Dual OTA networked tuner, for my TV signal.  Emby server is running on my $40 Amlogic S905x, running Ubuntu 16.04, and the live TV stream is "Direct Playing".  The only thing I "need" is closed captioning.

One more bit of information, when I hit the "play" button, it takes 5 to 8 seconds to start playing.  My tuner has an led indicator for each of the 2 internal tuners, and it sits under my TV.  When I hit the "play" button, one of the indicator LED's, on the tuner lights up instantly, even though the live stream takes 5 to 8 seconds to play.  Also, as soon as I stop the live stream, the LED goes out immediately.

@clarkss12

Universal closed caption support is coming: