How to set up the Live TV

toch

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question but.... Do in need to have my TV tuner card installed on my server PC (where mb server is running)?

WWWestern

Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question but.... Do in need to have my TV tuner card installed on my server PC (where mb server is running)?

No, if we are talking about ServerWMC. In this case, the tuner must be installed on the PC, where was installed the Windows Media Center. Another service, NextPVR, is independent from Windows Media Center.

No, if we are talking about ServerWMC. In this case, the tuner must be installed on the PC, where was installed the Windows Media Center. Another service, NextPVR, is independent from Windows Media Center.

Thanks WWW.  I really appreciate your quick reply.

I have been using media browser for years and love it.  I want to make the break from WMC but the only thing that is stopping me is access to live TV.

My current setup is:

1 server (with media browser server installed)

1 pc (with tv tuner card) + another pc (no tv tuner)

5 laptops

I cannot access tv where my server is located (which is why I asked my initial question)

Would you recommend I try to get ServerWMC going or should I try NextPVR?

Thanks a lot.  

WWWestern

I would try NextPVR, because 

I want to make the break from WMC...

and 

1. It is independent from WMC;
2. It is independent from EPG that is provided WMC;
3. It is independent from tuner support that is provided WMC;
4. It is independent from codecs (decoders) that is provided Microsoft Windows Foundation.

Install the nPVR on the PC with tuner card, install there some EPG fetcher, install on the MBS NextPVR plugin, and... enjoy! ;)