Emby App for Samsung TV Australia

nerdwork

nerdwork

Hey Devs,

Just wondering what is required to get the Emby App on the Australian Samsung App Store? 

Unfortunately utilising the guide for installing the app outside the US won't work for me as there are Aussie apps I use and need to keep.

I'm happy to assist if I can if its a manpower issue?

wesbos

Any idea when? Or some transparency as to what is happening - I've been checking every day for months now. 

SamES

I'm sure it will be well announced when it is available.

FrostByte

Tuffnutz, those are instructions for 2014 and older Orsay TVs.  Right now there is no way to load the newer Tizen app on TVs outside the US other than to change your region which the OP stated he didn't want to do because he would then lose the ability to use other apps local to him.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
dylanslaney

Any update on this?

I would like to start using Emby, otherwise, I may switch over to plex if there is no indication of moving forward with this worldwide release. 

wesbos

I've been asking for ~6 months now and they aren't giving any sort of info on what is going on - I've just canceled my Emby Premiere plan because of it - was paying into it hoping it should be released any day. 

• 2 months later...
RanmaCanada

The holdup is probably with Samsung.  To release software region by region is much easier than to to it company wide, but it still takes time and effort to go through each company's regional office to get the required paperwork and permissions to do this.  The fact that you people think it will just happen at the drop of a hat for a company as small as Emby shows just how little you people understand things.  Luke and company don't have millions of dollars to bribe/lobby Samsung to just say "here use our software" like Plex did.  Because they are a small time player, they need to go through the proper channels, and they will be ignored, and delayed, because they aren't paying the right people the right amount of required "fees" to get the software fast tracked.  

If you think I'm lying, why do you think so many tech companies keep having scandals about bribery and stuff?  Luke and and company are obviously trying to play things the right way, instead of flashing thousands/millions of dollars that they don't have into the eyes of Samsung and other tv manufacturers.  Patience is all that we can have while we wait for this to unfold.  Or do you really think Plex needed all those millions of dollars to pay for staff?

dylanslaney

Cool story but your comments are baseless.

Also, by "you people", do you mean paying customers just like I am?

Or by "drop of the hat", do you mean at least a year?

If so, then Yes I expect the app to be released. If it's just Samsung holding it up, then it should be easily resolved within a month.

• Like 1

TLDR; It probably is Samsung holding things up, maybe on purpose, maybe not, either way the Emby guys have no power to speed things up.

Well yes, the bribery/lobbying stuff is not backed by any evidence so Hitchens' Razor applies. But I do partly agree with RanmaCanada's post, Samsung is not exactly the most competent or trustworthy company when it comes to software.

Some examples of incompetence:-
  • A few weeks ago when my D-series TV did the check for installed app updates it removed the YouTube app. As it turns out Samsung triggered this behaviour back in June and blamed Google, which is fair enough, it was Google's decision not Samsung's. The incompetent part is that Samsung failed to adequately inform users that this was going to happen, some people got alerts on their TV's that it was going to happen, some got an alert from YouTube, other people, me included got no warning at all.
  • Their documentation has been found to be misleading and inaccurate leading to problems like the one posted here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31627-framerate-check-causes-playback-failure-or-unwanted-transcoding
  • The DualView fiasco. When my TV was first released it was possible to watch what was being displayed on the screen remotely via a companion Android app called SmartView - it still exists today but in a totally rewritten form - the feature was called DualView. Samsung made a big deal about this feature as it was intended to work exclusively with Galaxy S2, the problem was that almost nobody ever got it work. Did Samsung fix this? No, they didn't, instead they quietly dropped the feature altogether. The term DualView was then redefined as the name for a weird idea that Samsung showed at CES 2013 (see http://mashable.com/2013/01/09/samsung-dual-view-eyes-on/).
Some examples of untrustworthy behaviour:-
  • They've previously lied to at least one Emby client developer (I can't remeber off the top of my head whether it was ChessDragon or cmcg) telling them that Apps for pre-Tizen Smart TV models would not be accepted any longer, yet I see new Apps showing up in the Samsung App list on my 2011 Smart TV to this very day.
  • This is on top of the fact that Samsung's sloppy programming practices allowed their TV's and BD Players to be compromised, not just by the owner (via the exploits released by the SamyGO project) for the purpose of gaining root access, but also potentially by the CIA and MI5. Sounds crazy paranoid right? Well, even if this document from WikiLeaks https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_12353643.html is fake, the technical information it contains is accurate.
An example which has a bit of both:-
  • At least in my TV, Samsung used code from the ffmpeg project which is licensed under a LGPL. This license explicitly states that you may use the source, modified or otherwise, for whatever purpose you see fit commercial or otherwise, all good so far. But it also states that the developer must provide a mechanism for the user to modify or replace said code. Samsung has never done this, thereby violating the license which is actionable under Copyright Law, in short they are, knowingly or otherwise, software pirates.

If it's just Samsung holding it up, then it should be easily resolved within a month.

Do you know something we don't or is that equally baseless? I'm joking to make a point here, just in case that's not clear.

RanmaCanada

Cool story but your comments are baseless.

Also, by "you people", do you mean paying customers just like I am?

Or by "drop of the hat", do you mean at least a year?

If so, then Yes I expect the app to be released. If it's just Samsung holding it up, then it should be easily resolved within a month.

If it was so easy to do, Samsung Canada would have had the app right after Samsung USA.  Instead, it went next to Samsung UK.  I'm also a paying customer, but being a paying customer doesn't mean I'm entitled, which is what the people in this thread are coming across as.  The team has stopped giving updates because competition is fierce and every time the team has given out updates for features or for apps in the past, Plex or someone else conveniently "steals" those ideas and implements them in their own software just before Emby releases them.

It's all about patience kids.  The work around still works, but hey if you NEED your Aussie apps, then your only other option is to buy an android box.  I can't believe people are arguing over a problem that could be fixed with a $50 android box from China.  Goes to show just how shallow people are I guess.  The wonderful thing about that Android box, is it will do far more than your tv ever will...but that's right this is all about convenience.  

Let Luke and EBR and gang do their job.  Dealing with this type of stuff is not as simple as "hey let's go get a pint and be best friends".  Heck if you think you can do better why don't you just go to Samsung Australia and plant yourself into their office and take care of this for everyone and we'll call it a day?  If ya do that, I'll buy ya Emby for life.  

• 2 years later...

Hi. Can you please tell me if there is an update to this thread. The only way for me to currently use Emby is through Apple TV and I much rather it be an app on my tv 

Thankyou 

FrostByte
10 minutes ago, jdvin said:

Hi. Can you please tell me if there is an update to this thread. The only way for me to currently use Emby is through Apple TV and I much rather it be an app on my tv 

Thankyou 

The only update is that you can now install the latest version of the app by downloading it from GitHub.

However, nothing has changed as far as the Samsung store.

• 2 years later...
kiraserv

The easiest way to install Emby on Samsung these days is moving to Plex.  I've probably installed and reconfigured the app about 100 times over the 3 TVs in the house.

I've loved Emby, but enough is f****** enough.

Edited by GrimReaper
Wording

3 hours ago, kiraserv said:

The easiest way to install Emby on Samsung these days is moving to Plex.  I've probably installed and reconfigured the app about 100 times over the 3 TVs in the house.

I've loved Emby, but enough is f****** enough.

HI, we're sorry to hear about that, but don't you want a personal media server and not one that uploads your data to the cloud?

• 1 month later...

For those in Canada can you please check the app store on your Samsung TV and let us know if the Emby app is available now? Thanks !

• 1 month later...