DS216 Mono service uses all of the RAM

Huede82

Huede82

Hello

I have a DS216 (without play) running, with the latest updated for the system and Emby.

Since I have installed emby (about a week) I could observe that the RAM was most of the time used from the mono service. So used RAM is most of the time >90%

What`s wrong?

Thanks

mikeraburn

I looked at the mono on my DS216 play today.

With just me logged in remotely my total RAM was holding steady at 73%.

I stopped Emby Server and the ram usage dropped dramatically.

Waited a few minutes and restarted Emby server and the ram usage went up to 43%.

When I got home later I started watching a file, checked my ram usage and it was hovering between 43 and 49.

I see that the mono may be used for the NET Framework stuff.

I'm uneducated in the what and what nots so I may be confused what mono is really for.

I am going to check it tomorrow remotely again for kicks.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

mikeraburn

Luke

Is there a normal percentage of use you are thinking of?

I'll grab a log this weekend.

m-joy

Hi I also hate this mono process on my ds216play. It it currently at 110mb usage without playback. I stopped all other processes on my nas so it is basically for emby only now.

Do you have an plugins installed? I once had the feeling that a plugin causes leakage. But i can not say for sure till now...

mikeraburn

Luke

Here is the server log.

On the synology DS216play I have the following apps installed

Audio Station

File Station

Universal Search (that plugin can go away if needed, no idea why I installed it)

Emby Srver, of course

mono is running 248MB Private Memory and 4MB Shared Memory and the total ram usage is 64%

AND there is an Embey Server update waiting to be installed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Emby Server update and server program restart the RAM usage changed

Mono Private Memory 64MB  

Mono Shared 19MB 

Total RAM 37%

Log.txt

AFTER UPDATE Log.txt

Edited by mikeraburn

mikeraburn

I took at the mono process while viewing a file and it was holding steady at 295mb of private.

If that is due to my stock DS216 play hardware then that's that.

Zero play back issues btw.

m-joy

Hi I also hate this mono process on my ds216play. It it currently at 110mb usage without playback. I stopped all other processes on my nas so it is basically for emby only now.

Do you have an plugins installed? I once had the feeling that a plugin causes leakage. But i can not say for sure till now...

I quote myself which is fun.

After 8 days of running the server, the process mono now reserves 211.5 MB of ram without playback . That means, it nearly doubled over time.

I am not sure if that is normal ... I think it is pretty much.

mikeraburn

@@Luke

Is there anything that can be changed on the EMBY server side related to the ram usage of the mono process or is it just our DS216 play / DS216 hardware?

Between the 3 of us users who have posted here I have not seen any complaints regarding playback performance.

I have none.

I may be just be getting hung up on the mono ram usage numbers compared to the other processes running.

m-joy

I do not have any streaming problems as long as it is direct play with my ds216play. When it comes to transcoding it is nearly impossible to tanscode a video stream....

mikeraburn

Since my last post here there has been an Emby server update and a DSM update.

In both of the update data sheets I didn't see any direct mention of the mono process.

BUT, It does seem to ME that the ram usage of the mono process has stabilized. 

If there has been no official tweaks that would have a direct result of the ram usage being minimized, don't tell me.

Let me just BELIEVE! 

m-joy

Since my last post here there has been an Emby server update and a DSM update.

In both of the update data sheets I didn't see any direct mention of the mono process.

BUT, It does seem to ME that the ram usage of the mono process has stabilized.

If there has been no official tweaks that would have a direct result of the ram usage being minimized, don't tell me.

Let me just BELIEVE!

Not for me. It is just getting low because your ram got reset from the Update. Believe me, it will raise again soon.

mikeraburn

If by manually restarting the NAS reset the RAM, I am good with that.

If my EMBY Sever performance ever gets to the point where I need to "flush" out the ram by a manual restart them that's what I'll do.

It's my issue for going on the cheap with a NAS with lesser RAM.

m-joy

If by manually restarting the NAS reset the RAM, I am good with that.

If my EMBY Sever performance ever gets to the point where I need to "flush" out the ram by a manual restart them that's what I'll do.

It's my issue for going on the cheap with a NAS with lesser RAM.

This is actually a bad option and no solution the the problem. When you wanne run another program on that nas that also sucks some ram, you might crash hard....

The question is also if the mono process reserves the ram and can free it anytime or really uses the ram. Not sure how synology handles that