Advice on sata expansion card

CharleyVarrick

chef

I know the server chassis I have right now a full ATX by cooler master has been great. I bought a really quite and big CPU fan. the CPU temps are around 32 when transcoding which is good I think.

These mini ATX cases might not have been a good choice, not sure until they arrive. There won't be any GPU stuff happening so hopefully I can fit at least 4 drives in there.

I haven't ever built a rig with FreeNAS, apparently from what I read it runs on a thumb drive.

Edited by chef

Jdiesel

I know the server chassis I have right now a full ATX by cooler master has been great. I bought a really quite and big CPU fan. the CPU temps are around 32 when transcoding which is good I think.

These mini ATX cases might not have been a good choice, not sure until they arrive. There won't be any GPU stuff happening so hopefully I can fit at least 4 drives in there.

I haven't ever built a rig with FreeNAS, apparently from what I read it runs on a thumb drive.

I recommend grabbing one of these for you OS thumbdrive. Beats having a drive sticking out the back of your case that is asking to get bumped or removed by accident.

https://www.startech.com/ca/Cables/USB-2.0/Internal-and-Panel-Mount/6-USB-A-Female-to-Motherboard-Header-Adapter~USBMBADAPT

• Like 2

CharleyVarrick

I recommend grabbing one of these for you OS thumbdrive. Beats having a drive sticking out the back of your case that is asking to get bumped or removed by accident.

https://www.startech.com/ca/Cables/USB-2.0/Internal-and-Panel-Mount/6-USB-A-Female-to-Motherboard-Header-Adapter~USBMBADAPT

That's one smart little device right there.

On my ex-ex htpc (the ThermalTake Bach), I had one of those usb rf module-thing (similar looking to a thumbdrive) but for rf transmission to my htpc keyboard, and it was sticking out right in front. Not just ugly, but someone walked by a little too close and bent the thing out of wack. Nowadays those usb gizmos have become real small.

It also reminds me of the first wireless keyboard I got from M$ (13 or 14 years ago), the rf receiver was bigger than a hockey puck, and had a range of about 2 feet. Needless to say it was the first and last M$ hardware I ever bought.

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

That's one smart little device right there.

On my ex-ex htpc (the ThermalTake Bach), I had one of those usb rf module-thing (similar looking to a thumbdrive) but for rf transmission to my htpc keyboard, and it was sticking out right in front. Not just ugly, but someone walked by a little too close and bent the thing out of wack. Nowadays those usb gizmos have become real small.

It reminds me also of the first wireless keyboard I got from M$ (13 or 14 years ago), the rf receiver was bigger than a hockey puck, and had a range of about 2 feet. Needless to say it was the first and last M$ hardware I ever bought.

That is true, thumb drives have gotten very small these days to the point where some sick out just far enough to get a grip on it to remove from the USB port.

140432bf-630b-41c3-9a4a-7aa41a29b5e1.png

CharleyVarrick

Had one of those smallish one, can't remember the brand, I pulled it out and only the "grip" came out, the business part stayed in the usb port. GRRR!

mediacowboy

@@CBers, another idea before you destroy case would be these.

Nexus DoubleTwin Hard Drive Vibration Absorber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AZHS04/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tjemzb24EKWA3

I see in the case the hard drive mount from the bottom and those will allow you to mount a hard drive on top. I have used these before as well in my first media server.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

@@CBers, another idea before you destroy case would be these.

Nexus DoubleTwin Hard Drive Vibration Absorber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AZHS04/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tjemzb24EKWA3

I see in the case the hard drive mount from the bottom and those will allow you to mount a hard drive on top. I have used these before as well in my first media server.

I think you meant this for @@chef instead of CBers.

I can't seem to wrap my head with how you use those things,  :unsure:

EDIT: This helps to picture them, somehow

59305d764bfb4_doubletwin_2.gif

Edited by jlr19

mediacowboy

Yep. Sorry.

Flip the bottom drive over and then screw in the to the bottom screw holes to the mounting points.

49b9ddd18faa3300ab41f79b62dea459.jpg

Edited by mediacowboy
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

Great! Thanks

:)

I just Doofus (ordered) a pair of those.

Thanks again

Poor @ , he keeps getting picked on just because he strives to build the perfect emby server.   :)

Well when he buys something new every other day.

Stay tuned!

CharleyVarrick

I am scared now, ever since I saw this humongous desktop video... Doofus, DON'T!!! :wacko: