WMC with External Player on Windows 10

barrettuk

barrettuk

Hello all, need some help...

I have had my HTPC running windows 7 for a long time now and use it dedicated for Emby movie playback. I really love the kaleidescape type experience on my big projector screen and I don't want to lose it :-) I don't want TV, games, or music, just the big theater experience so I use WMC and love the fact I get four rows of movie covers across my screen and can use MPC-HC with MadVR to scale my DVD's to BD PQ as an external player.

So here is my big problem, things started to go wrong and I figured I would reinstall Windows and set everything up again and decided to go with Windows 10 rather than Window 7 thinking this would help for any future 4K adventures. I also upgraded the GFX card to a GTX1070 and a newer version of MadVR - the DVD's look amazing now! So I used the hacked Windows Media Center add-on for Windows 10 and tested MPC-HC w/MadVR and tested WMC and everything is working great. Then I went to add MPC-HC as an external player using the Emby WMC configuration wizard but I get an application crash/error, so is this supposed to work or am I trying to get the impossible?

Also I noticed that the client mirroring thingy isn't working - I sometimes use an old tablet to connect to Emby using a browser with the same sort of view as WMC and select the movie that way and play it on WMC. A while back I noticed as I selected movies on the tablet that the WMC on the projector would reflect the movie I was browsing, but that doesn't work any more... is that me or the feature broke?

Thank you for any help... screen shot of how I want to keep my theater looking and the error when I run Emby for WMC configuration wiz

post-1339-0-98018200-1495845642_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-56908200-1495845647_thumb.jpg

Make sure you have the latest version of Emby for WMC installed.

The error you are seeing is because the system cannot find your Windows Media Center installation so also be sure that is setup properly (although, in Win 10 that could be a challenge).  There is a long thread out here on getting WMC working properly on Win 10 but I'm not sure if it is current anymore.

barrettuk

Make sure you have the latest version of Emby for WMC installed.

The error you are seeing is because the system cannot find your Windows Media Center installation so also be sure that is setup properly (although, in Win 10 that could be a challenge).  There is a long thread out here on getting WMC working properly on Win 10 but I'm not sure if it is current anymore.

Thanks ebr, I'll try and install WMC again - it was all a new install and download just a couple of days ago and WMC is working fine using the built in player, I just can't run the wizard to get the external player setup. I'll look for that threat again.

barrettuk

I think I'll just go back to Windows 7 as its sounds like some Windows updates breaks WMC once added to Windows 10 and that may be the issue

One2Go

Just so you know you are not alone, I ordered about 3 months ago a 6th generation Intel NUC and requested to have Windows 7 to be installed because I didn't want to deal with the problems you face and let someone else install Windows 7 on a PC that only has USB 3 ports and since Win 7 does not have USB 3 drivers out of the box I paid to have someone else do it. End result an i-5 NUC that in my opinion is the best device for a HTPC running Emby.

All the best to you for reversing back to Win 7. With all the promotions and now the threat that with Kaby Lake processors no more Windows updates for Win 7 and error messages you are running an operating system on a platform that is not supported, Win 7 is still a force to be recon with as their sale are still brisk and heavy.

Edited by One2Go