Next Episode appears to be calculating incorrectly

SmplyUnprdctble
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

SmplyUnprdctble
I found a fascinating bug feature in the new Roku interface.  I thought I was doing something wrong at first, but I have been able to come up with some interesting scenarios to bring out the details:
  1. If I have all the episodes of a season and there are no specials, everything is fine and it will play next properly.
  2. If I have all the episodes of a season and there is a special episode, it will reload the same episode for next.
    -- E.g. I Love Lucy -- S00E01 (Unaired Pilot) is being displayed as the "first episode" before the Season 1 episodes.  This does not show any "Next Episodes".  S01E01 through the end of Season 1 shows the same episode as the next.  Season 2 onward shows everything fine.
    -- If there are multiple Specials in the season (Married with Children... Season 9, for example), the Next Episode seems to be CurrEpNum-NumSpecialsInSeason+1
  3. If I am missing an episode of a season, "Next Episode" works fine until the missing episode, at which point it skips an episode
    -- E.g. The Big Bang Theory -- I am missing episode 5 of the current season.  Eps 1-3 show the appropriate Next Episode; Ep 4 correctly shows Ep 6 as the next, but Ep 6 shows Ep 8 as next, with this one-episode skip for the remainder of the season.
I can repeat the above scenarios consistently by removing an episode and re-scanning (to reproduce #3), and finding a show with Specials aired within the season.

It appears I'm running Emby for Roku 3.0.25.  My Emby server is 3.2.17.0 (Linux).

I don't know if this is a Roku app issue or a Server issue as I don't have any other Smart Devices.

I am attaching photos of my TV to show what I'm seeing.

Ideas?

post-74969-0-08988300-1495766945_thumb.jpg

post-74969-0-26045200-1495766959_thumb.jpg

post-74969-0-74270300-1495766970_thumb.jpg

post-74969-0-04445900-1495766981_thumb.jpg

post-74969-0-84688800-1495766992_thumb.jpg

post-74969-0-91619000-1495767005_thumb.jpg

post-74969-0-53717400-1495767017_thumb.jpg

post-74969-0-78671200-1495767026_thumb.jpg

post-74969-0-49868500-1495767037_thumb.jpg

SmplyUnprdctble

Sorry.

I don't get email notifications when people reply (is this configurable?), so I didn't know you asked yesterday.

I updated Emby Beta (advertises 3.0.28 in the Options screen -- I watched it perform an update on my Roku of the app).

My results are:

For the scenario where there is a Special aired in that season (e.g. I Love Lucy above), I open S1E15 and it says S1E15 is the next episode, so that is not working.

For the scenario where there are multiple Specials (e.g. Married With Children), S9E1 shows S9E2 as the next episode (this is before the Specials air), S9S25 shows S9E24 as the next episode (this is after the Specials air)

For the scenario where there is a missing episode (e.g. Big Bang Theory), S10E6 is showing S10E8 as the next episode (should be E7... E5 is missing)

I don't think I'm seeing any changes.

I then thought there may have been a server change as well, so I went and ran updates there.  I updated to Version 3.2.19.0.  But, am getting the same results as I just mentioned.  

SmplyUnprdctble

I've also just noticed if an episode is a two-parter combined that it has issues as well.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine -- the premiere is S1E1-E2 (there's no split episodes on the DVDs).  When I'm in that episode, it properly shows S1E3 as the next episode properly.  In S1E3, it says S1E5 is the next episode.

Happy2Play

Does the same thing happen in the web client?

SmplyUnprdctble

From what I'm seeing [in standard full shows], the Web Client has a scrollbox that labeled "More from Season XX" that lists the entire season and scrolls where the next episode appears "in the middle" (what I'm seeing is it appears to be the third one where possible).

I'm using this as a baseline for my tests.

In my I Love Lucy scenario above, the Next Episode correctly pops in the slot identified here.

In my Big Bang Theory scenario above, the Next Episode correctly pops in the slot identified here.

In my Married With Children scenario above, the Next Episode correctly pops in the slot identified here.

In my Star Trek Deep Space Nine scenario above, the Next Episode correctly pops in the slot identified here.

So, things look like the web is performing as expected.  The difference is the web doesn't mimic what Roku is doing (or rather Roku doesn't mimic what the web is doing)

Yeah, the roku app will be changing to match how the web displays it.

SmplyUnprdctble

Hopefully that will solve the what to auto play next problem.

In the initial bug, it's not just what displays as what's up next -- but, rather, it actually plays that episode up next.  I was skipping episodes in auto play with Big Bang Theory, and I Love Lucy is constantly trying to play the same episode next.  That's the only reason I'm reporting anything :D

SmplyUnprdctble

Good news and acceptable news!

The good news is playing through the scenarios I've identified is causing the correct next episode to play using autoplay!

The "acceptable news" is the "More from Season XX" section is still doing the above-identified things to automagically highlight the thing Emby thinks is Next Up when you scroll down to that section.  I don't normally use this functionality, so I won't complain about it :).  The fact I don't have to do cleanup every night when I turn on my sleep timer and the same episode tries to replay and stops in the middle to show in the "continue watching" list makes it worth it :)

If you still want to work on what gets highlighted by default, I'll definitely still help test.

Thanks!

If you still want to work on what gets highlighted by default, I'll definitely still help test.

Certainly.  Can you please explain exactly what happens?  In my tests the proper item was always highlighted and, since we are matching on ID now I'm not sure how it could be wrong at this point...

SmplyUnprdctble

I just ran an update on the server side and re-tested everything (Roku 3.0.29; Emby Server 3.2.19.0-41.1 [Linux / Debian 8.0 Repository]).  So, I don't know if I'm an idiot for my previous comment or if something combined between client and server update is producing these possibly results.  Either way, take this post as what's happening.

When I go to the "More from Season XX" line, the episode I have open is what gets highlighted by default.  So, if I'm on S09E22 and scroll down to "More from...", episode S09E22 is the default it's highlighting.

For visualizations, when I'm on this episode:

593b26e602f6a_IMG_20170609_184759_.jpg

when I click the down arrow, this is what's highlighted:

593b271d43958_IMG_20170609_184805_.jpg

(e.g. the same episode I'm on)

I've confirmed this happens the same way with all the show scenarios I identified as issue above.  The same also happens whether or not I'm partway through an episode.

I can see arguments from all sides as to which should be highlighted, so I'm not going to say which it should be.  I'll take it currently as "works as designed".  Like I said previously, my focus is that it plays the correct episode next.

Thanks!

Okay, yes, that is by design.  I would like to find a way to indicate that is the current episode better but haven't found anything I like yet.