Hard drive disappear until windows restart

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

I thought I would share with you an odd problem I've been having with one of my computers.

It's running Windows 7, and holds 6 hdd. When I start windows, everything is fine but after a few minutes, one of the 5 data drives vanishes completely, from Explorer, from Manage/Disk manager, even Crystal Disk and WD Lifeguard loose sight of it. I need to reboot to see it reappear in all of the above, but soon after it re-disappear again. For the short time span all drives where showing up, Crystal Disk had nothing unusual to report...

Having a brand new spare drive, I replaced it, but the same problem happened. I replaced the sata cable, same problem. Use a different power connector, same thing. I connected the sata cable to a different port on the mobo, and you guessed it, that drive continued with its disappearing act.

Being at my wit's end, I thought it was a motherboard issue, the only component I had left alone yet.

I then google search for disappearing hard drive and found a couple of surprising explanation and fixes. They say it has to do with outdated audio driver that seem to cause issue when same IRQ channel was used. I was very sceptical about it but I figured why not, updating drivers is a better option than replacing a mobo.

Sure enough, I found 10 outdated drivers in that system, 2 of them audio related.

I updated all and left the computer running for 2 days straight, and no more disappearing hard drive. :)

Odd problem, but the fix is even weirder, in any case, if it happens to anyone of you, check your drivers, especially the audio related one(s).

Edited by jlr19

mastrmind11

How so?

Windows 3.1/95 and sound card/modem/whatever IRQ conflicts.  Haven't thought about them in decades.  Obviously unrelated to your issue/fix, but still brought back memories.

CharleyVarrick

Win 95, aka as reboot every 5 minutes :lol:

Honestly I have no idea if this IRQ channel conflict theory is a valid explanation. But I'm quite happy to have fixed the issue for free.

Jdiesel

Sounds like a problem I had with cheap sata controllers a while back. My solution was to upgrade to a server class controller.

Happy2Play

What size power supply is in the computer?

I had this happen with a controller card also, but you mentioned they are connected to mobo. 

CharleyVarrick

What size power supply is in the computer?

I had this happen with a controller card also, but you mentioned they are connected to mobo. 

@@Happy2Play

I don't know, no visible marking, label must be on one of the panel side facing the case.

I've had this pc for about 2 years, and the problem only started a couple months ago.

Is there a way to find out wattage from some kind of software, rather than unscrewing it from the case to look under it?

Google took care of this question, short answer: No

Edited by jlr19

Swynol

I had this problem when my power supply couldn't handle the ampage on a single rail. I had to get a Psu with a higher ampage on a single rail. Reason I say ampage and not wattage is because cheap psu i had was 500w but only 27a ~ my new psu was 460w but 40a~

This fixed my issues.

CharleyVarrick

It is running right now, and needs to continue for a while (syncing job in progress).

I'll look at the hidden sides later for wattage/amps.

CharleyVarrick

OK, so I had to unscrew the psu from the computer case to see the details of it.

Its a CoolerMaster RS-550-PCAR-N1

No cards attached to m/bd, its only powering the 6x WD sata drives (4 greens, 2 blue)

This one is my backup server

The "main" server has a ThermalTake TR2-600 psu

Also no cards to m/bd, 1 ssd, 5x WD green

I am planning to add 2 more sata WD Blue hdd to each server within a week or so.

Can those psu handle the extra load?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: For the CoolerMaster RS-550, it is officially listed as a 550w unit, but the label mentions 384w

592ad901d5d45_coolermasterrs550pcarn1.jp

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

I just noticed that the backup computer has its psu mounted upside down, hence I couldn't see its brand and model info without unscrewing it. The label with details is also upside down, facing the m/bd mounting panel.

In the picture below, the 120mm intelligent fan is pointing up, inside the computer case. Its therefore pulling warm air in to cool itself.

My Antec ThreeHundredTwo casing as a big nice air input grill with a removable filter at the bottom rear, but right now, its doing nothing...

592a8b39956a2_Capture.png

Edited by jlr19

Swynol

ok the coolermaster has 2x 12v rails. it should be able to handle the hardware you listed. i would try to balance the hard drives over the 2 rails. so if you have a cable coming out of the PSU with 4 sata and then another cable with again 4 sata. i would try to balance the drives on the 2. alternatively get molex to sata adaptors. the psu is 43a over the 12v rails but split, it should be enough to spin up that number of drives.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

I'm already using all sata power connectors (2x3 daisy chain) and I am left with 2 unused molex connectors. I'll get some molex to sata splitter.

Glad to learn this diminutive psu will be able to handle the extra load.

Oh, I reinstalled the CoolerMaster the correct way so it pulls fresh air from outside thru the case built-in filter  :)   

PenkethBoy

HDD pull about 0.5 to 1.0a each depending on size and model so in theory a 20a rail could power several HDD at once - i have a 1200w supply with 4 rails of approx 35a each and can run 12 HDD off one rail with no problem

although i would also spread your drives across both rails to even the load

as you appear to be running just the m/b and cpu besides the HDD then the PSU looks sufficient for your needs

As for the PSU and the input fan - you can mount them upside down so the fan pulls air in from the bottom via the filter - if i understand what you said - not clear

CharleyVarrick

As for the PSU and the input fan - you can mount them upside down so the fan pulls air in from the bottom via the filter - if i understand what you said - not clear

Thanks for the confirmation, and yes, the psu is now mounted correctly (upside up, intake fan facing down) and pulling fresh filtered air instead, of competing with the 2x120mm chassis fans

I'm guessing the guy that put the system together was not very familiar with the Antec Three Hunded Two.

CharleyVarrick

HDD pull about 0.5 to 1.0a each depending on size and model so in theory a 20a rail could power several HDD at once - i have a 1200w supply with 4 rails of approx 35a each and can run 12 HDD off one rail with no problem

Warrington authorities have long been investigating in-explainable city lights dimming... ;)

Edited by jlr19

PenkethBoy

ha - even more so with the 34 drives i have in one case :) (27 HDD and 7 SSD)