TV guide info

tdiguy

tdiguy

Would it be possible to pull the tv guide info straight from the stream rather than having to have a separate subscription for the tv guide info? 

My extent of knowledge is limited on this subject, except to say that i use a hdhomerun prime and with the hdhomerun app i have a tv guide that does not require a separate subscription. It would be nice if emby could also pull this information. But i am also wicked cheap like i have a cell phone plan thats 7$ and i see if i can shave that down every year or so by doing cost comparisons.

• Like 1

Hi.  That data is licensed via Silicon Dust.  We cannot access it legally.

There are options to use XML feeds with just a little setup but, honestly, $26/yr is a very small price to pay for all the data (work by others) that is provided.

BAlGaInTl

Hi.  That data is licensed via Silicon Dust.  We cannot access it legally.

There are options to use XML feeds with just a little setup but, honestly, $26/yr is a very small price to pay for all the data (work by others) that is provided.

I think the OP is talking about the embedded guide data that is present in a lot of OTA signals.  It isn't the best, but it is completely free.

Other software packages allow you to tap in to that as an option.

I think it would make a good feature even if I wouldn't use it.

I know that data exists in some streams (and reading it is a possibility for the future) but based on this comment:

i use a hdhomerun prime and with the hdhomerun app i have a tv guide that does not require a separate subscription.

He is actually seeing the data provided by SD I think.

BAlGaInTl

I know that data exists in some streams (and reading it is a possibility for the future) but based on this comment:

He is actually seeing the data provided by SD I think.

Ah yes... I didn't catch that.  My bad.

It's Monday morning... need more coffee. 

:)

tdiguy

Ahh so SD has there own service that sends guid info to the homeruns?

I had assumed ( yes not a good practice ) that the homerun pulled guide data from what comcast sent. Back when i could connect to just the wire with no other box involved my tv pulled guide data right from their service. This was a non smart tv so there were no other connections to get this information.

tdiguy

Course i also dont know if the hdhomerun transmits the guide data in a way that emby could legally use it.

BAlGaInTl

Course i also dont know if the hdhomerun transmits the guide data in a way that emby could legally use it.

As ebr eluded...

SiliconDust has a deal with Schedules Direct to use their data and provide it to HDHomerun DVR users.  In that sense, you can use the exact same data that the HDHomeruns do through a Schedules Direct subscription.

If you want free... you will have to look into an XML solution. 

I personally went with the $26/yr for Schedules Direct.

tdiguy

As ebr eluded...

SiliconDust has a deal with Schedules Direct to use their data and provide it to HDHomerun DVR users.  In that sense, you can use the exact same data that the HDHomeruns do through a Schedules Direct subscription.

If you want free... you will have to look into an XML solution. 

I personally went with the $26/yr for Schedules Direct.

Looking up how to go about getting guide data from xml i can see why. 

clarkss12

Surprisingly, in the US, there is 2 or more days worth of guide data embedded into the OTA TV streams.  Used to be that you would be lucky to get 4 hours of guide data,, and some stations, none at all.

The newer versions of Tvheadend, " grabs" that embedded guide data for their guide.  I made a video on how to install Tvheadend server on one of my boxes, but if you notice at the end of the video, it shows it "grabbing" the OTA guide data.

So, Emby could do the same thing, if they desired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4gnJRgMB9s

tdiguy

Ok not that i would expect this to be done inside emby but i found a reasonably easy setup i am going to test out. http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

Then simply use the xml option for emby.

Next step i need to work out is setting up a cron job ( i assume cron is on rasbian ) see if i can set something up to refresh guide data nightly.

Times like this i wish i remembered more from the 4 linux classes i took.

mastrmind11

Ok not that i would expect this to be done inside emby but i found a reasonably easy setup i am going to test out. http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

Then simply use the xml option for emby.

Next step i need to work out is setting up a cron job ( i assume cron is on rasbian ) see if i can set something up to refresh guide data nightly.

Times like this i wish i remembered more from the 4 linux classes i took.

yes, cron is core linux.

earthtorob

The guide data is different for each station.  I've noticed that some stations provide data for over a week and some provide data for only a few hours.  And some provide no data at all.

I want to know about that $7 a month cell phone.  Where is that from?

tdiguy

The guide data is different for each station. I've noticed that some stations provide data for over a week and some provide data for only a few hours. And some provide no data at all.

I want to know about that $7 a month cell phone. Where is that from?

I use tello, since nearly everywhere I go there is WiFi and I don't like talking on the phone it's a very slimmed down plan. I have 100 voice minutes 0 texts { I use Hangouts for texting} and 250mb of lte, after the 250 it's unlimited 2g.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

tdiguy

For anyone interested this is how i have my guide info set up. I am no pro by any means but this was pretty easy to set up.

Process for tv guide for free.

Which at least as of 05/29/2017 is free for personal use.
Once you sign up you will have to select your cable provider and such information. Ensure this is accurate and compare the listing to your channel lineup.

This was also done on a raspberry pi. Adjust settings as needed path wise.

download the zap2xml.pl file from zap2it
put it in a directory emby will be able to access, in this example /home/pi/Scripts.

For cron i have read its best to use absolute paths. 
make it exacutable if it isn't ( shows green when you do a ls ) chmod 755 zap2xml.pl

This i neglected to test without installing so maybe its not needed but i installed xmltv. 
Sudo apt-get install xmltv

create the script
nano tvguide.scr
cd /home/pi/Scripts
/home/pi/Scripts/zap2xml.pl -u <your-registered-email>-p <your-registered-password>
make the script exacutable with chmod 755 tvguide.scr

When that runs it will fetch 7 days of guide data using your profile preferances and create xmltv.xml This can all be adjusted also using parameters found at zapto.

Next set up cron to run the script.
sudo crontab -e
add this line near the end of the file.

0 2 * * * /home/pi/Scripts/tvguide.scr

this will have cron run daily at 2 am

Only other thing is to go into the emby server and make sure its set to update guide info automatically and of course for guide provider select xml and point it to the location of the xmltv.xml file.You can of course change these values to your hearts content.

This is what i have running for my guide information. If some of it does not make sense or there are far better ways to do it, your probably right, i am pretty new to this and despite taking 4 linux classes that was over 10 years ago so my memory of them is very fuzzy. Admins of course do with this post as you wish its your forum :) Thank you guys for such a great product.
Edited by tdiguy
  • Like 1

drikosv8

Folks,

I'm 2 days trying a xmltv Brazil list of channel guides that works and needing help to make it work.

I hope you help me.

Thank you

Pessoal,

Estou a 2 dias tentando uma lista xmltv Brasil de guias de canais que funcione e precisando de ajuda para fazer funcionar.

Espero que me ajudem.

Obrigado 

drikosv8

So, my friend, I happened to try the xml of this website http://www.xmltv.com.br/ Brazilian that I downloaded and many others and none worked.

How should I proceed so that it works?

I need to configure something in the m3u list too ?, because I put the downloaded file in Emby, but the programming does not appear.

Help me how to do the right process.

Here is an EPG online link that I also used https://bit.ly/pjt-epg

Thank you

Então amigo, acontece que tentei o xml desse site http://www.xmltv.com.br/ brasileiro que baixei e muitos outros e nenhum deu certo.

Como devo proceder para que ele funcione?

Preciso configurar alguma coisa na lista m3u tambem?, pois eu coloquei o arquivo baixado no Emby, mais não aparece a programação.

Me ajuda ai como fazer o processo correto.

Segue link de lista EPG online que usei tambem  https://bit.ly/pjt-epg 

Obrigado

Can you describe what exactly you mean by "none worked"? Are you sure you picked the right epg data?

drikosv8

I believe I chose it correctly, but if I did something wrong, please teach me the correct process, as this is the first time I have xmltv files.

I am passing the download link from the list http://xmltv.com.br/xmltv_download.php, because I could not attach it here and not by message.

I await your help and once again thank you, my friend.

@@Luke

Acredito que escolhi correto, porem se eu fiz alguma coisa errada, me ensine o processo correto por favor, pois é a primeira vez que mecho com arquivos xmltv.

Estou te passando o link para download da lista http://xmltv.com.br/xmltv_download.php , pois não consegui anexar ela aqui e nem por mensagem.

Aguardo sua ajuda e mais uma vez agradeço amigo.

Edited by drikosv8

drikosv8

I decided not to focus anymore. TV Guide is not available, but it is not a program, but it is not a channel package, but it is not compatible. Thanks for the while, Friend.

Resolvi não focar mais não Guia de TV, não está disponível, mas não é um programa, mas não é um pacote de canais, mas não é compatível. Obrigado por enquanto Amigo
Edited by drikosv8

• 2 weeks later...