Emby for fire tablet / amazon app store

tdiguy

Arkieboy72472
4 hours ago, adrianwi said:

Why do you keep redirecting people to a somewhat embarrassing thread from 2017 which doesn't even address the issue?

What is the issue with Amazon?  Why won't they allow the emby app into their App Store?  

You do realise it's going to keep getting asked every prime day when someone new to emby picks up a cheap Fire HD device and realises there's no easy way to install emby?  Not being able to resolve this, or at least explain why it's unresolvable, in the last 4+ years doesn't make you look good, regardless of whatever Amazon policy you're banging your heads against.

It isn’t impossible. It just takes effort. If someone can set up and populate a server, or even set Emby up to run it as a service, they can install and update 4 files on a tablet with zero first hand experience. I just did it. It can be done. I ain’t even smart.

The Amazon store (or any store) can pick and choose what they host, so we have to use a work around via google play….on a damn fire tablet. But, it works. I never did it before in my life and I just accomplished it in 15 minutes just a few days ago. I see it as a minor inconvenience as you can run Emby on phones, laptops, desktops, iPads, just about anything. Anyhow, for most tablets it works. It is what it is. Not their fault.

Edited by Arkieboy72472
  • Agree 1

adrianwi
22 hours ago, ebr said:

You will have to ask Amazon.  They won't tell us.  The store owners have all the power here.  They can allow or disallow anything they wish.

This is the same thing we've been saying for the past four years.  Unfortunately, we don't have any more information on it even now.

This is a load of bollox, if you pardon my French!

Are you trying to tell us that after 4 years of trying to submit emby and being rejected over and over again, and asking Amazon why over and over again, you still don't know?

Surely after all that time you'd have been able to work out yourself which of their policies emby is breaching?  They have a developer forum, and I can't see any questions about why emby hasn't been allowed after 4 years of trying.

2 minutes ago, adrianwi said:

This is a load of bollox, if you pardon my French!

Are you trying to tell us that after 4 years of trying to submit emby and being rejected over and over again, and asking Amazon why over and over again, you still don't know?

Surely after all that time you'd have been able to work out yourself which of their policies emby is breaching?  They have a developer forum, and I can't see any questions about why emby hasn't been allowed after 4 years of trying.

We seem to have this same conversation over and over.  You can choose not to believe us.  We can't control what you believe but we are telling you the truth.  We are not violating any of their policies and we don't have to for them to just say "sorry, we don't want you in the store".  They are not obligated to allow anyone in their store.  It is their platform and they decide what goes in it.

Now, we haven't tried every month for four years for a couple of reasons.  One, it is pointless and two, the last thing we want them to do is decide they also don't want us in their Fire TV store.  The more we rock the boat on mobile, the more possible that becomes and that would really hurt us and our users.

adrianwi

Ok, so show us some of the communications between you and Amazon asking why you have been rejected and their response.

It makes no sense whatsoever.  They allow you in one store, but not another?  They reject you, but provide no justification?  Can you understand just how incredulous that sounds?

4 minutes ago, adrianwi said:

It makes no sense whatsoever.  They allow you in one store, but not another?

You expect these huge corporations to make sense and have complete communication between departments :).

4 minutes ago, adrianwi said:

They reject you, but provide no justification?  Can you understand just how incredulous that sounds?

So maybe you understand how we felt when it first happened and the last thing we want to do is make enough noise that the two departments do start talking and the other one decides to block us too.

adrianwi

Ah, so we start to get to the truth.  You've only asked once and simply accepted the rejection as you didn't want them to look any deeper and potentially remove the Fire TV Store?

2 minutes ago, adrianwi said:

Ah, so we start to get to the truth.  You've only asked once and simply accepted the rejection as you didn't want them to look any deeper and potentially remove the Fire TV Store?

No, many times. We get a canned pre-made response every time.

We did get a response from a human a couple times way back when this first started.  It was (I think verbatim) "We have no further information for you".

adrianwi

You know what, I'll go and ask Amazon, as I clearly care more about this than you do.

roaku
2 hours ago, adrianwi said:

Ok, so show us some of the communications between you and Amazon asking why you have been rejected and their response.

It makes no sense whatsoever.  They allow you in one store, but not another?  They reject you, but provide no justification?  Can you understand just how incredulous that sounds?

lol Google rewrites the same chat app from scratch every two years and Amazon follows you around the internet showing you ads for all the stuff you already bought.

Capricious, arbitrary, inefficient, inscrutable, etc.

Edited by roaku

Arkieboy72472

If we can manage to make it work on the DL with a android google play store work around, just take it. I am not even sure who thought of it or how it works, but it works. 

if you bug the Amazon store people too often, they will be less incentived to add it. I would bet any amount of money Plex slipped them some $. It’s Amazon. Still, don’t piss them off. Just ask twice a year and label the reason as “fixes and updates” or something bland.

I say to keep the focus on, for now, being able to add a working google play store to the tablet so people can run Emby that way. I also wouldn’t publish it too publicly as to have them shut down that ability. 

People that want to know how will end up here and they will find out for themselves. I would delete all other mentions of this and even this thread and instead point people to a wiki with a quick run down of what to do. 

We have a good thing. It works. Don’t rock the boat. Don’t screw it up. Keep it on the DL and take what we are given. Keep google store people happy. 

Edited by Arkieboy72472

On 7/1/2021 at 5:42 PM, adrianwi said:

You know what, I'll go and ask Amazon, as I clearly care more about this than you do.

I doubt it. :)

Feel free to write Amazon yourself and ask them why Emby is not available on that platform when the vendor has submitted the app.
See if you get an answer that actually makes any sense.

Back years ago, several of us wrote them and no one got anything back with any info that made any sense.  Some crappy answers were the vendor hasn't submitted the app which is blatantly false as the app was on the platform. Others said it's in waiting status for approval, etc.

I got 2 different answers I think from emails 3 weeks apart.  

The Fire Tablets aren't that popular around here compared to other tablets.  Luckily Amazon doesn't have "android" phones like Google does so it limits the amount of people who need this version.  At least with a Premiere License you can side load the Google version and get it to work with the exception of child accounts.

Put the Google services on your Fire. Then you have a hybrid. Make sure only update Amazon apps through Amazon and Google apps through Google or you might get problems and have to uninstall/reinstall that application to fix the app store issue. You can get Emby on your Fire HD it just isn't standard. It is quite easy to do though.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/windows-tool-fire-toolbox-v18-0.3889604/

The Toolbox doesn't touch the system partition meaning all changes made can be reversed either through the tools/subtools themselves or through a factory reset. This means the Toolbox does NOT void your warranty.

image.png

You can put all of Google on there. Replace the Amazon, or keep the Amazon with the Google. Mix and Match to your whim. But the point is look at the image above. Get it. :)

Both Emby Android and Emby for Android TV are offered.

I have both Alexa and Google Assistant available. Which "wake word" you use is which assistant will answer. Hybrid FTW!

Edited by speechles

On 7/1/2021 at 2:15 PM, ebr said:

We did get a response from a human a couple times way back when this first started.  It was (I think verbatim) "We have no further information for you".

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/kodi-box-amazon-uk-ban-media-player-piracy-live-football-stream-download-tv-shows-films-a7676426.html

https://torrentfreak.com/amazon-bans-kodi-app-over-piracy-concerns-150616/

Emby has a KODI plugin. They stop conversations once they hear this. That has to be entirely why. It fits with when the app was removed to time perfectly with the entire removal of anything KODI off Amazon App store. It is their attack on that KODI war that has caught Emby in the friendly fire. I am sure this is the reason. It is like throwing the baby out with the dirty bath water. Just pull the plug on the bath, Amazon, the water flows out. Don't throw everything out in the bath tub too. Damn...

Edited by speechles

tdiguy
5 minutes ago, speechles said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/kodi-box-amazon-uk-ban-media-player-piracy-live-football-stream-download-tv-shows-films-a7676426.html

https://torrentfreak.com/amazon-bans-kodi-app-over-piracy-concerns-150616/

Emby has a KODI plugin. They stop conversations once they hear this. That has to be entirely why. It fits with when the app was removed to time perfectly with the entire removal of anything KODI off Amazon App store. It is their attack on that KODI war that has caught Emby in the friendly fire. I am sure this is the reason. It is like throwing the baby out with the dirty bath water. Just pull the plug on the bath, Amazon, the water flows out. Don't throw everything out in the bath tub too. Damn...

That i can understand, kodi has developed a terrible reputation, especially with amazon with all the "unlocked" fire sticks that are out there that are moded up to use kodi and tons of plugins, many of which pull in less than legal sources of entertainment. 

adrianwi

Why not remove the Fire Stick App too then?

And yes, I have emby installed through the Google Play Store on my Fire HD, but i'd love to recommend the device to non-technical friends and family but the lack of emby in the Amazon store makes that difficult.

Edited by adrianwi

15 hours ago, adrianwi said:

Why not remove the Fire Stick App too then?

So, you want us to push them hard enough for them to come to that same conclusion?  We don't.

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...
Peckmore

Sorry for sort of necro-ing this thread, but I've run into this issue again this week in trying to get Emby onto my daughters Fire - I really want to do this officially so that I can make the app available to her kids profile without resorting to workarounds. I've bumped into this issue before, and every now and then I try again just to see if there has been any update. However, in my most recent check I've also spotted that both Plex and Jellyfin apps are available to install via the store, which makes Amazon's refusal to allow Emby even more confusing.

I know you've said that you've contacted Amazon about this several times previously, and each time you get a canned response, and at work having just pushed a new app to the Google and Apple stores, I can appreciate how hard it can be to navigate through all the automated responses, etc.

However, as an alternative to continuing to get fobbed off by Amazon with automated responses, what about trying to publish the app again as a brand new app on their store? You currently have the "Emby Mobile" and "Emby for Fire TV" apps on their store, so what about doing a brand new submission of Emby Mobile (using the same APK/build) but as a new app just called "Emby". By publishing as a new app, it should hopefully be treated as it's own entity, without the history of the Emby Mobile app, and could possibly get accepted? I have to imagine at this point that the app is automatically rejected now simply because it has been rejected previously, and no-one/no system is actually evaluating the app from fresh each time.

By using this approach, if the app is accepted you could just eventually retire "Emby Mobile", and move everyone across to the new "Emby" app knowing it supports a superset of devices, and if the app isn't accepted, you can delist it without much issue. It's just a thought, but I would really like to be able to add Emby to my kids Fire accounts, and it would be great if it could be done "officially".

Other than that, please keep up the great work - Emby is absolutely amazing, and we'd be lost in our household without it! 😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/7/2021 at 12:13 PM, Peckmore said:

I know you've said that you've contacted Amazon about this several times previously, and each time you get a canned response, and at work having just pushed a new app to the Google and Apple stores, I can appreciate how hard it can be to navigate through all the automated responses, etc.

In my experience dealing with all of the app stores, when they reject you have to solve their problem, not try and step around. So this was never a viable option and not worth the risk to our developer account.

But anyway...

Great news everyone. Emby for Android 3.3.29 is available in the Amazon App Store.

Please try it out and report your experience. Thanks !