Emby for fire tablet / amazon app store

tdiguy

Sammy;

Thanks. I'll try side loading the playstore set next. Overall I've been very disappointed with the Fire tablets apk support. I have two 7's, a 6 HD and a 10.1 HD. I initially wanted to use the 10" as a comic reader and found my choices in readers limited. Side loading got around that issue. The gentleman who wrote the comic reader i'm using couldn't release on amazon because they wanted to raise the price significantly (while his cut was minimal). One 7" is never used , the other is used to cast plex to a rasplex unit in my workshop (probably wont need that anymore :))

The sale prices were to good to pass up but wont buy any more Fire tablets in the future because of the lack of apk support. I'll let you know what happens. The 10" i was trying to side load directly on is OS version 5.4.0.1. and that may be part of the problem. Thanks again for you help.

I just got two for under $40.. almost $30 actually.. each. They're on that same f/w and don't have special offers.

I'm using them for wall mounted controllers for my VeraPlus using ImperiHome and will be mounting them this weekend.

Follow the instructions on XDADevelopers and you'll be able to load all apps from the Google Play Store without having to root it. Very simple. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

Sammy;

That worked !!!  I installed the play store in the sequence that the instructions indicated and then rebooted.  I then logged into the playstore and loaded the emby app and it works and sees my server.  Thanks for your help and the instructions.  i didn't want to root these unit but if i can just sideload the playstore, i'll be spending the rest of the night getting the playstore installed on all of them.  Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1

To all;

Just wanted to report back that i have emby running on 4 amazon tablets now.  The process that Sammy linked to works (order of installation is important - see the link) and after installing the play store i actually got a notification from Google  => "Welcome to Google on your new Amazon Fire HD 6 (4th Gen)"  how cool is that :) .  All my units are older tables running version 5 of the fire OS.  i don't have kids in the house anymore so i don't use free time but it seems easy to uninstall the 4 apks if you can side load on the unit and it doesn't work, so give it a shot.  Thanks again Sammy - i owe you a beer !

• Like 1

I've noticed that there may be a volume issue running the android app on an amazon tablet.  I have emby and plex side by side on the same machine and pointed at the same media.  When i watch a movie on the plex app (on an amazon tablet) the volume to hear the conversation is about 50%.  When i play the same movie with the emby app the volume has to be maxed out to barely hear the conversion.  I tried the same sequence with a roku  (with both plex and emby) and the volume level seems to be the same on both apps.  Can somebody else confirm that the volume is low using the android app on an amazon tablet.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...

If installed from the play store, can emby be used in free time? I believe you couldn't when it was side loaded

I just went through this on a Fire 7 (7th gen) and the steps worked exactly as described and Emby is working in my main profile. Unfortunately the Emby app is not available in FreeTime, it is just missing as an available option to add to a profile.

It would be nice if this issue with the Amazon AppStore was resolved so it would work in FreeTime. This tablet is mainly for letting the kids watch videos in the car. Until this gets fixed I have to either give them Emby under my profile or just load up videos manually on an SD card, bypassing Emby completely.

• 5 months later...

For now you can side load the Google play store and then install the app using the play store.

tdiguy

If installed from the play store, can emby be used in free time? I believe you couldn't when it was side loaded

If you cant get free time to work there are a lot of comprehensive parental controls in emby. Not the best solution, but it is a work around.

• 1 month later...
RafaG

Hi,

Is it in the Emby's roadmap an update to be directly in the Amazon App Store for this tablets?

Thanks in advance

Rafa

• 2 years later...

I’ve finally found a way to get the Emby app usable within a Freetime profile. I can’t take all the credit as most of the know how was lifted from here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/help/how-to-youtube-kids-sideloaded-google-t3839714

Takes about 30 minutes of setup but once done not only is Emby usable but you can (as far as I can tell) use many other apps available in the Google Play Store. Things you will need:
•    SDCard is ideal, maybe possible if connecting a file explorer to cloud storage but I had an SDCard to use.
•    A File Browser installed via the Amazon Appstore (I used Astro)
•    The “GoToApp” app installed via the Amazon Appstore

Here are the steps I took.

1.    Identify the Model of the Tablet
Easiest way is to log into your Amazon account and go to “Manage Your Content & Devices”. Click Devices, then identify the tablet you’re using and note the Model & Generation.

2.    Install Google Play & required Apps on the Adult Profile:
•    Install “Astro” File Manager from Amazon App store (other file managers from Amazon Appstore may also work fine)
•    Install the “GoToApp” from Amazon App store

Go to the following website to identify the correct versions of the 4 Google Play apks below:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/10/03/install-play-store-amazon-fire-tablet/

Use the model name\number obtained earlier to ensure you get the correct ones. If you already have Google Play on the tablet make sure you uninstall all 4 aspects and begin again with the very latest. I failed to do this on one tablet and was unable to download apps from the Google Play store within the Freetime profile until I removed everything from both profiles and installed the latest versions…….
•    Download and Install Google Account Manager - This may prompt you to allow Unknown Sources from Settings
•    Download and Install Google Services Framework
•    Download and Install Google Play Services
•    Download and Install Google Play Store

Finally sign into the Google Play app.

3.    Add Content to Child Profile:
From tablet Settings->Profiles and Library, select child profile
Add Content, Share Content
Click Games & Apps
Select Astro (or alternative file manager) & GoToApp

4.    Uninstall “Google Play Services”
This has to be uninstalled before it can be installed on the child profile. Once you have completed all steps however this can be re-installed on the Adult profile and the Play store will work in both the Adult and Child profiles.
Settings->Apps & Games->Manage All Apps, Uninstall Google Play Services
If the uninstall button is greyed out do the following & try again:
Settings->Security & Privacy->Device Administrators, Uncheck “Find My Device”

5.    Move Google APKs to the SDCard: 
On the newer tablets file managers running from a child account are unable to access the internal storage but can see SDCards. Some older Fire tablets appear to not have this restriction….. 

6.    Install the Google APKs on the Child Profile:
•    Switch to Child Profile
•    Open Astro (or alternative file manager)
•    Install the Google APKs - This should prompt you to allow Unknown Sources from Settings
•    Open GoToApp

From the GoToApp you will be able to see lists of the installed apps on the tablet. Go to the “All Apps” list and locate the “Play Store”. Sign into The Play Store and install Emby. Before leaving I also disabled auto updates of apps from within Google Play.

I then created a new Folder within GoToApp, added in Emby & any other app I wanted to be visible to the child into it. Then I hid all the other Folders so that when my children launch the app they are presented with only one view with just the apps I want them to use.

It may be possible if you have tech savvy children for them to access other apps so it will be up to you whether this method is suitable from a parental control viewpoint. 
Personally I was just very happy to finally be able to use the proper Emby app!

This process has worked on all three of my children's tablets and no issues so far. I hope this helps others :)

Edited by Jibest

• 8 months later...
Arkieboy72472

For anyone who reads this, if after downloading and installing all 4 of those files and nothing works, there is a fix. Download and Install the latest non-beta version of the Google play store and play service THEN power down and power back on. I did as the thread said, but nothing worked. My fix was to back out of the download page to find a newer version of the last 2 files. I have a new fire HD 10 with all of the updates, which I got during prime day. Don't assume that the downloaded software will auto update. As of this typing, the play services version is 21 and the store version is 25. I didn't need to update downloads one and 2. I didn't need a file manager. Just download and install each one at a time, reboot, go back and snag a couple updates, then reboot again. I now have emby on my tablet I just got on prime day for 80 bucks. 

I don't know anytime about a free time profile. It "just works" for now.

Edited by Arkieboy72472

On 6/25/2021 at 4:38 PM, Arkieboy72472 said:

For anyone who reads this, if after downloading and installing all 4 of those files and nothing works, there is a fix. Download and Install the latest non-beta version of the Google play store and play service THEN power down and power back on. I did as the thread said, but nothing worked. My fix was to back out of the download page to find a newer version of the last 2 files. I have a new fire HD 10 with all of the updates, which I got during prime day. Don't assume that the downloaded software will auto update. As of this typing, the play services version is 21 and the store version is 25. I didn't need to update downloads one and 2. I didn't need a file manager. Just download and install each one at a time, reboot, go back and snag a couple updates, then reboot again. I now have emby on my tablet I just got on prime day for 80 bucks. 

I don't know anytime about a free time profile. It "just works" for now.

Hi, what version of the Emby android app do you have now?

Arkieboy72472

I will check when my wife is done with the tablet. I will say this was one of those prime day deals (HD 10”) and once I got the google play store working after a few reboots and updates I grabbed whatever the latest version of Emby it has.

* If you can tell me how to find that info I will report back. I also don’t have any kids accounts on it. 

thanks for all you do. I’ve been a paying member for a long time and I am never changing.

note: if you get the store app update first, it will prompt you upon trying to open you also need the service. The other two files I left alone because it works. You may have to power down and power on after each update. Mine took a time or two to take.

if anyone need specific info, I ask that you tell me where to find whatever you need. If you are like me and got a prime day tablet for cheap and want to use an existing Emby server on your fire tablet, there is hope.

Edited by Arkieboy72472

Arkieboy72472

I just looked and it is 3.2.01, I think, and the server is a version behind whatever the latest is. 

tdiguy

It is disappointing that emby still isnt available in the amazon store for fire tablets. Plex is there along with jellyfin.

Is there a known reason as to why emby is no longer there? I remember in times of old it was there, then one day gone. 

We're doing the best we can given the cards dealt to us. The back story can be found here:

Thanks.

Arkieboy72472

Despite its issues sometimes, I like Emby enough that I am willing to cut it some slack. Plex probably paid them off or something. As long as it works on most things.

adrianwi

Why do you keep redirecting people to a somewhat embarrassing thread from 2017 which doesn't even address the issue?

What is the issue with Amazon?  Why won't they allow the emby app into their App Store?  

You do realise it's going to keep getting asked every prime day when someone new to emby picks up a cheap Fire HD device and realises there's no easy way to install emby?  Not being able to resolve this, or at least explain why it's unresolvable, in the last 4+ years doesn't make you look good, regardless of whatever Amazon policy you're banging your heads against.

13 minutes ago, adrianwi said:

What is the issue with Amazon?  Why won't they allow the emby app into their App Store?  

You will have to ask Amazon.  They won't tell us.  The store owners have all the power here.  They can allow or disallow anything they wish.

This is the same thing we've been saying for the past four years.  Unfortunately, we don't have any more information on it even now.

• Agree 1