individual live tv recordings

earthtorob

earthtorob

I think it would be helpful if each user had their own recording schedule.

One user should not be able to cancel the recording of another user.  If each user has their own Recordings view then two users could set to record the same show and if one user changes their mind and wants to cancel the recording then the guide should display that recording as canceled while the recording still occurs for the other user.

Just as each user has their own "watched status", each user should have their own recording schedule.  Duplicate scheduled recordings would of course only need to be recorded once.

AlKaHall

You would need to add settings to either prioritize users or assign maximum number of tuners available to each user.  Imagine the sibling rivalry to get all your shows in if it was just first come first serve...

earthtorob

You would need to add settings to either prioritize users or assign maximum number of tuners available to each user.  Imagine the sibling rivalry to get all your shows in if it was just first come first serve...

That sort of thing is unavoidable.  It's a limitation of your hardware.  Imagine another situation:

John really loves X Files.  He programs Emby to record every episode.

Mary likes X Files too.  But she has only programmed to record it on the HD channel on Sundays.

Some months later Mary has had enough X Files so she cancels her Sunday HD recordings.  But that canceled all of Johns recordings too.

You can come up with any number of scenarios.  The main idea is that one person should not be able to alter another persons recording schedule.  Whether intentionally or inadvertently.  It's my opinion that no other persons even need to see what programs are being recorded by other users.

If I lose interest in a Tv Show then I should be able to cancel my recording of it without polling everyone in the house, asking them if they still want to capture new episodes.  

earthtorob

Oh and just because 4 people all schedule recording of one show, that doesn't mean that 4 copy's need to be recorded.  Obviously.

When John schedules "Two and a Half Men" to record then it's added to the schedule.

When Mary also schedules "Two and a Half Men" the schedule doesn't change.  It just shows up in Marys recording schedule.

AlKaHall

I'm not arguing that aspect of it...I agree with what you're saying there.  

I was looking at it from the point of Daughter 1 sets it up to tape all her girlie cartoons before Son 2 gets a chance to set up his shows.  If you only have three tuners, it is very possible that the shows overlap and Child 2 will not have much to watch until it airs again and hopefully a tuner is available.  Being able to assign tuners to each user would enable you to avoid that conflict.  I guess maybe I'm suggesting an add-on to your request...

earthtorob

I'm not arguing that aspect of it...I agree with what you're saying there.  

I was looking at it from the point of Daughter 1 sets it up to tape all her girlie cartoons before Son 2 gets a chance to set up his shows.  If you only have three tuners, it is very possible that the shows overlap and Child 2 will not have much to watch until it airs again and hopefully a tuner is available.  Being able to assign tuners to each user would enable you to avoid that conflict.  I guess maybe I'm suggesting an add-on to your request...

I get you.  Mythtv has a priority system with a 256 point scale.  I believe is -128 to 128.  The scheduler makes it's decisions based on tuner priority, channel priority and a few other things if I remember.

I think Emby just uses the "if busy then don't do." system.   I think the scheduler lets you add anything and just checks to see if a tuner is available when if activates the next recording.   Which honestly I think is good enough.  If a person wants to make sure they get their recording then maybe add more tuners.

My thing is avoiding accidentally killing another persons schedule and privacy.  Nobody needs to know that I secretly watch every episode of "Dancing with the Stars".  :)

the main reason is the demand for it vs. other things that are being requested. If community demand increases then we'll be happy to give it more attention. Thanks !

earthtorob

the main reason is the demand for it vs. other things that are being requested. If community demand increases then we'll be happy to give it more attention. Thanks !

You guys are great.  All these people making all these requests and you pay attention to them all. 

Myth had individual recording schedules on it's "wish list" since like 2003 if i remember correctly.   I figured that there must have been some basic part of it that made it difficult or required changing large portions of the software. 

Does anybody know if TiVo is multi user?  They have been in the biz longer than anybody.  I figure if anybody had a system for it, it would be them. 

Does anybody know if TiVo is multi user?  They have been in the biz longer than anybody.  I figure if anybody had a system for it, it would be them. 

It wasn't the last time I used it.  Admittedly, that has been a while.

The biggest issue with doing this IMO is the increased complexity for the user.  Most people do not want to manage their recordings at this level.