Any way to go back to pre-beta Roku channel?

flcruising

Once you watch enough of your own, it wont suggest new series to watch at s01e01. The issue is the fellow hasnt watched enough stuff with that user, so he is winding up with suggestions in his next up, rather than actual next episodes to watch of things he watched. Simple passage of time solves the problem (he watches more things), if he indeed has separate users. There is no need for separate libraries.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

ifignella

Nope, learn to read. Not what were talking about at all.

Sorry dude, i tried to help but this guy ruined it, like usual.

Nope, learn to read. Not what were talking about at all.

Sorry dude, i tried to help but this guy ruined it, like usual.

Wouldnt a normal person use next up to get to their next episodes?

Latest is there too, but with the problem.. that problem has never been addressed and separating by library is a poor work around.

I love these new users. So cordial and nice. How do you do? Is that a banana in your pocket? Why the hate bro? Umad? Sorta off topic, right, since none of this banter is even remotely about what the OP asked.

@OP The only alternative atm, is one of my forks of the official app, unfortunately. Grain of salt may be needed for some people, swallow hard. Gulp.

Officially on jun 1st 2017 no more new roku apps can be submitted to the roku store either public or private. The relevance? If the official team wants to offer their own older build, they still can, they have a month to submit and get it through testing/approval. Until then, the only alternave is blue neon night. This is all there is unless you sideload the old official roku zip from github.

Offtopic: @rlcruising try using next up instead of latest. If you literally want separate everything, latest, next up, suggested, then split library as others mention.

Have a nice day. Wear sunscreen (graduation joke :P)

Edited by speechles

flcruising

I've never used any filters or parental ratings so I don't really know, maybe someone else could chime in and let you know.

I have just created separate folders for each user, then if there are things that all of us watch or some of us watch, I create a new folder and put those shows in there.  Then add that new folder to the library of each person watching those shows.

It seems like a bit of a pain, but once it's done you won't have to mess with it again and you'll each get your own latest, continue, next without seeing the other users stuff.

For example on the hard drive:

HusbandTV/  ---shows only you watch

WifeTV/ ---shows only she watches

HusbandandWifeTV/ ---shows both of you watch

KidsTV/ ---shows all the kids watch

Kids1and2TV/ ---shows only these 2 kids watch

Kids3and4TV/ ---shows only these 2 kids watch

Go to the dashboard, library (on the left), click on Husband's TV Library, add HusbandTV/, add HusbandandWifeTV/

Do the same for wife.

click on Kid 1 TV Library, add KidsTV, add Kids1and 2TV/

and so on

This would require manual organization which I'd rather not do.

You need an "also here/also waching" with intelligent prompting so users no longer watching can be removed. The blue neon app has this, then if 2 kids + mom + dad are watching, log into dads account as the main user, then log in mom + each of the two kids under the "also watching" tile (dad+3) (3 others watching). Several users can be on the app at once this way. Family night!! This makes all the played items sync across user accounts. Each user should have their own account, you should not have to make individual folders of each users content. @@ebr will eventually get an "also here/also watching" into the app. It is inevitable. Ebr added this to the wmc version of emby long ago.

I've never used this feature, and can't quite understand the concept of how it would apply to my desire to quickly mark a 'Latest' show as watched/played so that it disappears from my list without affecting my wife's. 

Thats because him and his wife must be sharing a single account. Why else would what she watches under "mom" would affect what is showing up for "dad"? There is no reason to separate libraries to stop this. Change "remember user" to NO. Every time app starts users must log in. Now instead of one account, make separate accounts for dad and mom. Then use "also here/also watching" to tie multiple users watched status together whenever you want. Easy Peasy.

No. Separate accounts.

I can admit that there are visual improvements, but the primary purpose should be to display the pertinent information as quickly as possible so that I can start watching.

flcruising

Wouldnt a normal person use next up to get to their next episodes?

Latest is there too, but with the problem.. that problem has never been addressed and separating by library is a poor work around.

Offtopic: @rlcruising try using next up instead of latest. If you literally want separate everything, latest, next up, suggested, then split library as others mention.

Latest to me says..."These are the most current (latest) additions to your library."

Next Up says..."This episode follows the last that you've seen but hasn't been released or aired yet."

My wife and I will go into Emby to see if we have any new additions to our library when we get a chance to sit down together. Latest means Yes, you've got something to watch; Next up means No, maybe tomorrow. That's the way I've viewed it for several years now, probably due to Emby filling in upcoming episode information ahead of airing.

ifignella

Regarding manual organization, it's just a one time set up. Then emby will automatically put the episodes where they belong without you manually having to do anything

Next up can be used for upcoming (missing after airtime) to tell when your next episode is ready to be viewed sure. At that point its considered a virtual episode, and you can mark it watched before its even aired, sure. But the main intent of next up is to keep track of series, when you watch episodes in order. The next logical it can suggest, but you are right, those may not be the latest.

Latest is a catch all for everything in that library view in reverse chronological order, based on date added/date created/date modified, whichever you set for this behavior. The problem has always been this view doesnt let you "forget" series you have no interest in. The only way to make it stop reminding you of series with latest episodes you never want to see is to split the library at the tv show level. Series you like -vs- series you dont, call them what you will "his shows" and "her shows", whatever you like. Presently this is the only work around, besides I guess using tags. Marking your series with the "for him" tag and hers with "for her" and using these tags to generate library views for each user.

Here is the fearure request for "forget series in next up":

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/35883-forget-a-series-in-next-up

What you want is the same feature request, but for latest. This seems a logical request.

@@ebr have you either you or @@Luke ever revisited this idea and what it would take to fulfill these users requests? Bigger question would be, once forgot, how to undo a forget? Thats the one where thought must be put since if you forget a series, how does one undo what one cannot see. Maybe once an app forgets a series the user must use the web dashboard to undo. Just throwing ideas off the wall.

Edited by speechles

flcruising

Regarding manual organization, it's just a one time set up. Then emby will automatically put the episodes where they belong without you manually having to do anything

I understand. For me it just seems like it unnecessarily complicates the folder structure and a workaround for something that never was an issue before. I do get on the server occasionally and clean up old seasons. Building an interest category in the user account seems more logical than each user having their own set of folders, which could get complicated quick with multiple users.

Next up can be used for upcoming (missing after airtime) to tell when your next episode is ready to be viewed sure. At that point its considered a virtual episode, and you can mark it watched before its even aired, sure. But the main intent of next up is to keep track of series, when you watch episodes in order. The next logical it can suggest, but you are right, those may not be the latest.

Latest is a catch all for everything in that library view in reverse chronological order, based on date added/date created/date modified, whichever you set for this behavior. The problem has always been this view doesnt let you "forget" series you have no interest in.

Latest is the most useful category for the way we watch TV. As shows are listed, we usually start with the oldest one that we haven't seen. Next up is not even paid attention to. Our library doesn't stay deeper than 2 seasons, because once we watch something we aren't going to watch again unless we feel like missed a part of the plot line and need to recap. Once the kids go to bed, we only watch 1 episode of anything anyway which of course it based on what we actually have (latest), not on what's next. I would do away with Next Up category if I knew how.

As for features, I still prefer the old 4-way navigation rather than a 'not interested' or 'forget' option.

Bigger question would be, once forgot, how to undo a forget? 

This should probably be in the FR thread but the answer is you just watch it again and then it will show up.  That feature is meant to clear out series that you watched at one time but don't really care to continue watching right now.

Next up is not even paid attention to. Our library doesn't stay deeper than 2 seasons, because once we watch something we aren't going to watch again unless we feel like missed a part of the plot line and need to recap. Once the kids go to bed, we only watch 1 episode of anything anyway which of course it based on what we actually have (latest), not on what's next. I would do away with Next Up category if I knew how.

I think you should re-visit Next Up because it is designed to do exactly what you are doing.  Next Up does not show future episodes (at least, it shouldn't).  It shows the next episode that is available to watch in each of the series you have started watching.

flcruising

I think you should re-visit Next Up because it is designed to do exactly what you are doing.  Next Up does not show future episodes (at least, it shouldn't).  It shows the next episode that is available to watch in each of the series you have started watching.

I think I will. Thanks. Apparently my understanding of how it works is incorrect.

flcruising

Is 'Next Up' in the old app and blue neon night?

When we start Roku app, we are at TV Shows, the box to the right has "Suggested', 'Latest', 'Jump In', etc. We keep it on 'Latest'.

Is this a new feature in the new app that we need to try to get used to using?

ifignella

I think I will. Thanks. Apparently my understanding of how it works is incorrect.

There's a setting on the dashboard to "show unaired episodes". Maybe that option is on by mistake.

flcruising

There's a setting on the dashboard to "show unaired episodes". Maybe that option is on by mistake.

Thanks. I found it under each users Display Settings.

What about 'Next Up'? Since I seem to be the only one unfamiliar with it, where is it in the old app or configuration for it in the server?

Edited by flcruising

ifignella

I don't pay much attention to it either, but in the old app if you click on the toggle with the blue bar it will cycle through what the first row will show. Get next up highlighted and you should see it there.

I don't think there is any configuration to it. In the new app it'll be on the home and tv screens i believe. Every time you watch a show the next available episode will show up in this row. What ebr is getting at is doing it this way you can just ignore your wife's shows instead of marking them as played. Hers will still be there but as you watch more of your shows and more episodes are available, hers will move down the line.

In the old app, next up was probably called "Suggested" on the TV library...

This is an original Emby Server feature that has always been there in all the apps.

flcruising

It's on the home screen of the old app.

I don't pay much attention to it either, but in the old app if you click on the toggle with the blue bar it will cycle through what the first row will show. Get next up highlighted and you should see it there.

I don't think there is any configuration to it. In the new app it'll be on the home and tv screens i believe. Every time you watch a show the next available episode will show up in this row. What ebr is getting at is doing it this way you can just ignore your wife's shows instead of marking them as played. Hers will still be there but as you watch more of your shows and more episodes are available, hers will move down the line.

It's not there in Blue Neon Night. So you're saying that my wife's items will still be in my list but just pushed to the end? Hmm, since the way we use the 'Latest' list to watch what we have (usually what is recent and newly downloaded), the list does not always have something in it. It doesn't sound like it will eliminate the need for me to mark her shows as watched since as I watch mine hers will just move up, and vice-versa.

In the old app, next up was probably called "Suggested" on the TV library...

This is an original Emby Server feature that has always been there in all the apps.

That's why we were unfamiliar. Not a feature we would pay attention to.

It's not there in Blue Neon Night. So you're saying that my wife's items will still be in my list but just pushed to the end? Hmm, since the way we use the 'Latest' list to watch what we have (usually what is recent and newly downloaded), the list does not always have something in it. It doesn't sound like it will eliminate the need for me to mark her shows as watched since as I watch mine hers will just move up, and vice-versa.

That's why we were unfamiliar. Not a feature we would pay attention to.

It isnt there in BN as an options tile. The way favorites, latest, continue playing, recently played, frequently played, and "i feel lucky" are.

But.. it is there as a row on the homescreen itself. You can use the sliding toggle tile and click on it. When clicked this tile moves the toggle down, and changes that rows view. These were meant to be user selectable rows that the homescreen shows for each library on your homescreen. Change your TV library sliding toggle tile to suggested. These toggles are remembered always. So once set, it will stick that way when you leave and enter the app again.

Instead of using "latest" to get you there. You need to click into the TV library tile. In that view you can see rows for: shows, Jump in, next up, favorite shows, favorite episodes, upcoming episodes, genres, and networks all on that one screen. Using the next up row in this view will always be only that logged in users next episodes in order of last played. This next up row acts identical to using the suggested row of the sliding toggle tile on a TV library. Now press play directly on that first episode in the row, instead of pressing OK to enter the detail screen. This will invoke continuous play and ask how you wish to proceed. Here you can shuffle them, play them in order, etc.. This lets you simulate a live TV experience having your next up episodes play in sequence without intervention. You can invoke continuous play on any row. It is best to wait for these rows to fully populate with items before invoking continuous play as this play mode removes items which havent loaded metadata. There is a verifying routine/dialog that runs/appears removing empty items that will crash the player.

@@ifignella Have you seen grace1313? Is that your alter ego? You are the same person. Why change usernames? Was it to avoid the shame brought onto that username by your words and actions? Of course it was.. *chuckle*

Edited by speechles

Sammy

I got four B Stock Roku 2's (3410 4210XB) from Newegg for $33 each. Then Groupon had them for $30. Newegg gave me a code for $10 off my next purchase bringing them to just over $30 each. One of them had a code sheet in it for a $5 Vudu store credit. After getting them all up and running, I sold my two XS and HD Roku models on eBay. After all this my bottom line cost was $15.70 each for the four Rokus. The 2 is the same processor speed as the 3 but you don't get the voice activated remote with earphones. I use Harmony remotes so that was a non-issue to me. Emby on my new Rokus is smooth as silk and there's some nice upgrades to the Netflix channel as well. You may want to look into doing something like this.

Edited by Sammy

@@Sammy

are you sure about that model#3410?

Those arent 2015 roku2's or it would be model#4210. The 2015 roku 2/3 are quad core, the older 2013 roku3#4200 and roku2#2700 are dual core.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison

The url above has accurate information. Also, bestbuy and walmart were told roku IS NOT issuing buybacks. This means some stores wont carry rokus after they runout because they dont like vendors that wont absorb part of the costs of old inventory. Walmart has some roku4 as low as $6.99.

Sammy

Sorry. Going off the top of my head. You're right but the point is that it doesn't cost that much to upgrade if 4K, HDR or UHD isn't of concern. Even then, take $15 or so off by dumping your old Roku on eBay. There's still quite a market for them in the $20 to $30 range and you clear $15 or so on selling them after fees and shipping costs.

Jdiesel

I'm a fan of the 2015 Roku 2 (4210). Bought 4 of them a few months back for $45 CAD each.

waynbrit

Since Emby upgraded itself I on the screen but had much difficulty getting subtitles to run, I used to have the option of having them on all the time. Now I'm either told my subtitles don't exist (when they are in my download folder, the option to chose a subtitle during playback flashes of the screen quickly with no opportunity to choose or sometimes the option stays on the long enough to choose subs but I have to wait for a minute during a screen blackout and then playback proceeds with captions. Any chance I can roll back to the earlier version. I do appreciate the appearance of the new version but I need the functionality of the old.

Since Emby upgraded itself I on the screen but had much difficulty getting subtitles to run, I used to have the option of having them on all the time. Now I'm either told my subtitles don't exist (when they are in my download folder, the option to chose a subtitle during playback flashes of the screen quickly with no opportunity to choose or sometimes the option stays on the long enough to choose subs but I have to wait for a minute during a screen blackout and then playback proceeds with captions. Any chance I can roll back to the earlier version. I do appreciate the appearance of the new version but I need the functionality of the old.

Hi.  What is your subtitle mode set to in your user preferences in the web app (click on user icon, playback)?  Have you set this to "Always Play Subtitles"?