Crash on startup with Ubuntu 17.04

halfer

halfer

About 20 minutes ago noticed that emby-server is not running, restarting the server makes it appear "active" using service status, but it crashes immediately after that. 

I've been running Emby on Zesty (4.10.0-20-generic x86_64) for about 3 weeks now, had no issues before, so I'm not sure what caused this.

sudo service emby-server status shows this
Б≈▐ emby-server.service - Emby Media Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since Tue 2017-05-16 21:30:34 MSK; 9min ago
  Process: 10617 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/emby-server clear (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 10571 ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 10571 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

п╪п╟п╧ 16 21:30:31 HTPC systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
п╪п╟п╧ 16 21:30:31 HTPC su[10571]: Successful su for emby by root
п╪п╟п╧ 16 21:30:31 HTPC su[10571]: + ??? root:emby
п╪п╟п╧ 16 21:30:31 HTPC su[10571]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user emby by (uid=0)

I attached the log from /var/lib/emby-server/logs.

Thanks in advance!

log.txt

Edited by halfer

Hi, I notice you've updated to mono 5.0. We have not yet fully tested this with Emby Server. Right now our recommended version is still 4.8.1. Thanks.

halfer

Oh god damn it; downgrading is obviously out of the question with the dependencies hell.

Thanks for the reply

Jdiesel

It may be worth checking that Emby still isn't running in the background. For whatever reason I've noticed that the systemd script hasn't been stopping or restarting Emby correctly lately. Run the command "top" and look for any instances of "mono-sgen" running. If there is kill the process by running "sudo kill PID" where PID is the actual number. After that try starting Emby with the regular "sudo service emby-server start" command.

Edited by Jdiesel

• 3 weeks later...
halfer

Are there any plans to support Mono 5.0 in the near future? I'm thinking of migrating my install to Docker

Yes certainly. We will always look to support newer versions, just not necessarily immediately after release. Thanks !

Guest plexman

Hi, I notice you've updated to mono 5.0. We have not yet fully tested this with Emby Server. Right now our recommended version is still 4.8.1. Thanks.

Just for you to know, I'm using Mono JIT compiler version 5.0.1.1 and zero issues for know. Amazing stability. Under Ubuntu 16.04.2 Linux 4.4.0-78-generic x86_64. Clean log attached for dev's research purposes ;) .

Log.txt

Edited by plexman

@@plexman thanks for the feedback.

@@halfer, It would be helpful to know whether or not you are still seeing the same crash on the newer mono 5.0.1.1

Thanks !

halfer

I tried switching to the beta repo, that's what's installed right now.

● emby-server.service - Emby Media Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since Thu 2017-06-01 23:34:54 MSK; 2min 59s ago
  Process: 15238 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/emby-server clear (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 15185 ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 15185 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

июн 01 23:34:51 HTPC systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
июн 01 23:34:52 HTPC su[15185]: Successful su for emby by root
июн 01 23:34:52 HTPC su[15185]: + ??? root:emby
июн 01 23:34:52 HTPC su[15185]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user emby by (uid=0)

I also attached the log and a segment of the syslog, reporting the same time as Emby's log

It seems the errors reported are the same, but I don't know.

Thanks in advance!

log2.txt

syslog_segment.txt

Edited by halfer

halfer

Just for you to know, I'm using Mono JIT compiler version 5.0.1.1 and zero issues for know. Amazing stability. Under Ubuntu 16.04.2 Linux 4.4.0-78-generic x86_64. Clean log attached for dev's research purposes ;) .

I've been using 5.0.1.1 as well with no issues.

@@plexman thanks for the feedback.

@@halfer, It would be helpful to know whether or not you are still seeing the same crash on the newer mono 5.0.1.1

Thanks !

Oh, I guess I should have thought more about this issue, after all, some server utilities depending on Mono work just fine, even though they haven't recieved updates in

EDIT: Sorry for double posting, I assumed the forum would merge this post with the previous one

Oh, I guess I should have thought more about this issue, after all, some server utilities depending on Mono work just fine, even though they haven't recieved updates in 

Edited by halfer

halfer

I decided to give up and purged Emby, reinstalled it and recreated the library (thankfully, I had all the metadata saved within the folders, so it was pretty quick)

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to try mono 5.0 with the latest release i'd be curious to know the result. thanks !

halfer

If you want to try mono 5.0 with the latest release i'd be curious to know the result. thanks !

Since that post I've been running Mono 5.0.1.1 and it's been smooth sailing.

Emby server is 3.2.20.0 at the moment

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding, it's two different issues with the same consequence: it's working with cpu decoding and not with nvenc decoding.

- orphan ffmpeg process rapidly reach the 2 threads limit on nvidia consumer card

- some decoding parameters are not supported with nvenc decoding