Loss of Series Recordings - M3U

Spaceboy
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Currently the only way you can update channel details from a new m3u is to reset up every single series recording. It would greatly improve the user friendliness of Emby if this could be changed.

But only if the file name changes, right?

there has to be a way of making channels unique per tuner, so that is why it is based on the combination of channel id + m3u url. this allows you to remove and recreate the tuner setup and still allow you to keep your recording relationships.

i could instead base this on the emby tuner id created when you setup your m3u. this would allow the m3u url to change, but then if you ever remove and recreate your tuner, all your relationships will be lost. and what do a lot of people do the moment they run into a problem, they remove things and set them back up again.

CBers

I'm sure @@Spaceboy will correct me, but it's not a case of the m3u url changing, but the contents that the url contains.

My IPTV m3u url hasn't changed since I've been using IPTV, but certain channels names have, although the channel number/order has remained the same.

I'm sure @@Spaceboy will correct me, but it's not a case of the m3u url changing, but the contents that the url contains.

My IPTV m3u url hasn't changed since I've been using IPTV, but certain channels names have, although the channel number/order has remained the same.

yea those things are all fine to change - channel names, order, even individual channel urls. it's the m3u url itself along with the tvg-id that are important.

CBers

yea those things are all fine to change - channel names, order, even individual channel urls. it's the m3u url itself along with the tvg-id that are important.

What about if you use an m3u file, should it behave the same way?

Not all IPTV m3u url content have the tvg-id in, so to be able to sort the channels by number correctly, you have to add it.

If something changes within that m3u file, such as channel name, should Emby still work with it and not lose Series Recordings already set up?

What about if you use an m3u file, should it behave the same way?

Not all IPTV m3u url content have the tvg-id in, so to be able to sort the channels by number correctly, you have to add it.

If something changes within that m3u file, such as channel name, should Emby still work with it and not lose Series Recordings already set up?

Url/File same rules.

If there is no "tvg-id" or "channel-id", then the id is generated using the m3u url, so yes, this would be sensitive towards change and loss of relationships.

maegibbons

Lets not confuse tvg-id with channel-id.  tvg-id is for guide mapping. channel-id for channel number.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

maegibbons

@@Luke

So are you saying that CURRENTLY if we change JUST the channel description in the m3u that that will be re-read by Emby and used?

I dont think we are seeing that.  If it IS what you are saying then I will test it out specifically

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

-Or get Emby to reflect all changes within an identically named and located m3u

We have discussed, and it is outlined above, that for iptv the content of the m3u should dictate everything else. That Emby does not do that is the issue

Thats not quite correct.  It is POINTLESS changing the contents of an m3u IF emby does not change its internal metadata when re-reading it.

This topic is about changing the contents of an m3u and whether those changes will be read by emby AND if those changes will loose series recordings.

From my perspective this Topic covers BOTH things as highlighted by @@Spaceboy in the quoted post.

Krs

Mark

• Solution

I think having Emby reflect all of the changes from the m3u is fine and something that I will look at, thanks.

• Like 1

CBers

Lets not confuse tvg-id with channel-id. tvg-id is for guide mapping. channel-id for channel number.

Apologies, I always get those mixed up :(

• 2 weeks later...
Spaceboy

The changes discussed in post #61.

luke please can you confirm:

does the m3u need to be identically named and located for this to work or is there flexibility there too? i can work within either set of parameters, i just need to know

maegibbons

I believe the file name (and path??) has to be the same name otherwise it is a NEW tuner effectively.

Luke will no doubt confirm.

Krs

Mark

Spaceboy

so this should allow me to point it at the url for the m3u, emby should receive the daily / weekly updates to channel names and all series recordings will be retained. downside is the guide will be flooded with the full channel list and i dont think i can use schedules direct epg because the tvgid's will not match.

its that versus periodic manual download of m3u, manual processing through the access db and loading into emby.

is that a fair summary of the current position until we get live tv channel management?

CBers

so this should allow me to point it at the url for the m3u, emby should receive the daily / weekly updates to channel names and all series recordings will be retained. downside is the guide will be flooded with the full channel list and i dont think i can use schedules direct epg because the tvgid's will not match.

It's a shame, as LIVE CHANNELS and the SMART IPTV apps read the M3U URL and name, identify and group the channels correctly and consistently.

Spaceboy

It's a shame, as LIVE CHANNELS and the SMART IPTV apps read the M3U URL and name, identify and group the channels correctly and consistently.

well i think we should have all that bar the channel grouping now. time to test

And so can we. No problem at all.

its that versus periodic manual download of m3u, manual processing through the access db and loading into emby.

is that a fair summary of the current position until we get live tv channel management?

Yes that sounds correct.

• Like 1

maegibbons

And so can we. No problem at all.

Not quite.... There is no grouping in Emby...... Yet....  But we know you will work on it ..... Sometime.

Krs

Mark

Spaceboy

Yes that sounds correct.

thanks, a step forwards.

unfortunately it seems the iptv provider only makes 1 day of epg available. i saw someone else posting about this