Any way to automatically build "Collections"?

Netbug
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Netbug

I recently had to move all of my media out of the individual "BOXSET" folders.

I was wondering if there is anyway for Emby to automatically scan my library and group movies into "Collections" based upon the TMDB collection that they are a part of.

For example, Emby knows that I have all the Harry Potter movies; is it possible for Emby to build a collection based upon that?

CharleyVarrick

Do you mean that if you go in your movies, then select Collections tab (on top), you don't have Harry Potter Collection in there?

I always thought Emby would by default show collections just like TMDB.

591a48fbecf6d_Capture1.png

591a490ea22fc_Capture2.png

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1

Netbug

Right now, in "Collections" I have nothing showing at all aside from "Collections allow you to enjoy personalized groupings of Movies, Series, Albums, Books and Games. Click the + button to start creating Collections."

Previously, I had all of my collections (eg Harry Potter) in folders in the folder structure with names like "Harry Potter Collection [bOXSET]" however, with Radarr, this was no longer an option.

So I have moved all of my collections out of their own directories.

So the folder structure is now...

"Movies > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2005) > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2005).mkv"

where it used to be

"Movies > Harry Potter Collection [bOXSET] > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2005) > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2005).mkv"

What I'm hoping that EMBY can do, is recognize that I have all these movies that belong in collections, and rebuild the collections.

Am I dreaming? Right now I'm assuming I'll have to do it all manually.

Here's what it looks like right now:

4h6Oz87.png

And yes, Harry Potter is in my movies:

cNRZJCV.png

Edited by Netbug

CharleyVarrick

You're definitely not dreaming,

My movies are all setup 'boxset-less' and Emby found which belonged in collections by itself, I never had to add a movie to a collection manually.

I don't know why yours is not doing it by default, but hang in there, some one should jump in with an explanation and a solution for you.

It's funny, I did not even checked the collections options, and Emby still create them automatically for me.

591a4caa689d4_Capture1.png

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1

• Solution
Happy2Play

Does each movies metadata contain the collection ids?

591a4ba8a5e01_collection.jpg

Did you ensure "Group movies into collections" was enabled?

Easiest way is the Auto boxset plugin.

• Like 2

CharleyVarrick
Easiest way is the Auto boxset plugin.

That might just be the reason its so different for me than Netbug, as I have Auto boxset plugin enabled.

• Like 1

Netbug

I just checked "Order of the Phoenix" and it did have the metadata that you posted.

qnpgoEW.png

I am installing the Auto Boxset plugin as we speak.

Netbug

Adding the Auto-Boxset seems to have corrected the vast majority of them. Thanks very much.

Follow-up question: Can you have movies in multiple collections? For example: I would like an "Iron Man" collection as well as a "Marvel Cinematic Universe" collection? Can I do this?

• Like 1

blade005

Adding the Auto-Boxset seems to have corrected the vast majority of them. Thanks very much.

Follow-up question: Can you have movies in multiple collections? For example: I would like an "Iron Man" collection as well as a "Marvel Cinematic Universe" collection? Can I do this?

@@Netbug.

Yes. You can have Movies in multiple collections.

I have the exact scenario you described above. I have separate collections for Iron Man, Thor, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America, etc. I also have them all under a Marvel Cinematic Universe collection I created. You can also add TV Series to this collection as well. Such as, Marvel: Agents of Shield and Agent Carter.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Just be advised that while Emby lets you have a same movie appears in more than one collection, Kodi doesn't. 

While you may not be a Kodi user yourself, it might be relevant to others looking at this thread.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
earthtorob

Bump....

I am having the same issue.  But I'd rather not install auto box set.  I'd prefer that it just work as it's intended to. 

For example, Avengers shows up with the collection ID 86311.  Which is correct and corresponds to this page https://www.themoviedb.org/collection/86311

But the movies aren't displayed under any collection in the movie view or under the collection view.  I am running a linux system and my write permissions are correct for my movie directories.  

I checked the /var/lib/emby/metadata directory and is has the following: artists  library  livetv  People  Studio  views

I expected a directory labeled "collections".  But maybe that is not how it works.

Bump....

I am having the same issue.  But I'd rather not install auto box set.  I'd prefer that it just work as it's intended to. 

For example, Avengers shows up with the collection ID 86311.  Which is correct and corresponds to this page https://www.themoviedb.org/collection/86311

But the movies aren't displayed under any collection in the movie view or under the collection view.  I am running a linux system and my write permissions are correct for my movie directories.  

I checked the /var/lib/emby/metadata directory and is has the following: artists  library  livetv  People  Studio  views

I expected a directory labeled "collections".  But maybe that is not how it works.

Hi.  The feature does work as it is intended to you just need to enable it by installing the plug-in.

Happy2Play

The Auto Boxset plugin is required to read the collectionid from movies and get the metadata for the collections, and that metadata is stored in */data/collections.

earthtorob

Hi.  The feature does work as it is intended to you just need to enable it by installing the plug-in.

Has it always been that way?  I remember on my Windows box that it was automatic.   At least thats how I remember.  I'm getting old....so you never know what I might think I remember,  Also my metadata originally came from kodi, so maybe some things were "pre-boxed"

Yes, this feature has always been in a plug-in.  Perhaps you had it installed before and just forgot :).

earthtorob

Yes, this feature has always been in a plug-in.  Perhaps you had it installed before and just forgot :).

Perhaps.....I am slowly loosing my mind after all.

BTW, you guys are quick today.  

earthtorob

Plugin installed and things working just as I remember.

Except for one thing....I remember that when you click the play button on a collection, Emby would play the collection in order of the movies release date.  Now it's playing them in alphabetical order.    How do I correct this?

FrostByte

Is your collection sorted by release date?  If not, Edit Metadata and change the display order to "Release date"

earthtorob

Is your collection sorted by release date?  If not, Edit Metadata and change the display order to "Release date"

It is sorted by release date.  But if you click play i still plays them in alphabetical order.

earthtorob

Right from the chrome browser.  I just tried it from the Emby app on my Android and it played correctly.   Thats interesting.  

Happy2Play

They seem to be playing in correct order for me in the web app. @@FrostByte are you seeing this?

I used Star Wars Collection as a test and no matter if sort order as by Release date or by Sort Name "Episode 1" was played.  So it would appear play order is Alphabetical as release date should play "Episode IV" first.

FrostByte

I just started the Planet of the Apes collection using the Samsung Tizen app and it looks like it played alpha order and not by release date.

Start app

Navigate to "Collections" on top

Select collection

Click "Play All"

It should have started with "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", but instead started with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes"