Amazon "Emby Mobile" removed from devices???

A_Aron

What you can do is sideload the google play store and then install the emby app from there.

AgileHumor

What you can do is sideload the google play store and then install the emby app from there.

That doesn't work in Kids Freetime mode, so won't work in my case, but a good workaround for those who don't need kids apps/interface/features (all tied to the new Alexa Kids edition) of the Amazon eco system.   There seems to be a list of "allowed kids apps" that can be enabled (and some non kids apps, so it may be a dynamic list based on permissions...or as simple as being in the app store)...and it's not just what you've installed on the device.   

Thanks for posting the APK right on the website so I don't have to go to some shady APK site.  That was cool!

arrbee99

That doesn't work in Kids Freetime mode, so won't work in my case, but a good workaround for those who don't need kids apps/interface/features (all tied to the new Alexa Kids edition) of the Amazon eco system.   There seems to be a list of "allowed kids apps" that can be enabled (and some non kids apps, so it may be a dynamic list based on permissions...or as simple as being in the app store)...and it's not just what you've installed on the device.   

Thanks for posting the APK right on the website so I don't have to go to some shady APK site.  That was cool!

Would it help to have your kids as separate users in Emby with restricted access to certain libraries and stuff like that ?

I don't have kids young enough for me too need this anymore and I guess the Alexa Kids thing is a bit different anyway, but just thought I'd ask.

AgileHumor

Arbee, i appreciate the suggestion. I was mentioning that in Kids Freetime mode, a sideloaded APK does not show. Its an Amazon thing ;)

Ps - Looks like Roku is purging a few apps too, just like what Amazon did with Emby Mobile on Fires:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/15/roku-appears-showing-fbi-anti-piracy-warning-youtube-channels/

Edited by AgileHumor
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Any update on this situation? I've installed Emby using a sideloaded PlayStore in my regular account, but as others have stated, Amazon's FreeTime child profile only allows apps from the Amazon Store to be installed.

Any idea if and when Emby will be re-added to the Amazon store?

Thanks!

DB

A few months ago we submitted a new version and it was the same situation. Amazon approved it for all devices except amazon devices. I'm not sure who actually uses the amazon store on non-amazon devices, but in any event, that's what happened. When we try to contact them for information they tell us they have no further information, so for right now the app is stuck for whatever reason. We will continue to periodically re-submit in hopes that it will eventually change. Thanks.

• Like 3

A few months ago we submitted a new version and it was the same situation. Amazon approved it for all devices except amazon devices. I'm not sure who actually uses the amazon store on non-amazon devices, but in any event, that's what happened. When we try to contact them for information they tell us they have no further information, so for right now the app is stuck for whatever reason. We will continue to periodically re-submit in hopes that it will eventually change. Thanks.

Thank you for the quick and concise response! Sounds like we'll have to just keep waiting until Amazon starts playing nice :).

In the meantime, I might try the web app idea mentioned earlier in this thread. That might be a good solution in the short term. I'm hoping I could disallow all addresses but my emby ip/port, in order to provide emby access without opening up the www...

Thanks again for a great app! It's at the heart of my media center, and well worth the premiere lifetime license! :)

• 8 months later...
syralk

is there a difference between the Amazon store emby app and the Google play emby app?

is there a difference between the Amazon store emby app and the Google play emby app?

Yes.

syralk

Yes.

Where could I find the APK for the amazon emby app as it not available on the amazon store for fire tablet devices.

the emby app the the emby tv or emby server :)

You need to side load the play store and install the Google version. The apps are the and except for the store payment processes.

syralk

You need to side load the play store and install the Google version. The apps are the and except for the store payment processes.

ok perfect thanks Luke :)

• 1 year later...
adrianwi
On 13/06/2017 at 22:47, Luke said:

We are working on getting the app restored, apologies for the inconvenience.

Surely after 3+ years you've managed to resolve this?

Unfortunately no. We periodically try to re-submit newer versions of the app to Amazon, and the result is always the same.

I’ve finally found a way to get the Emby app usable within a Freetime profile. I can’t take all the credit as most of the know how was lifted from here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/help/how-to-youtube-kids-sideloaded-google-t3839714

Takes about 30 minutes of setup but once done not only is Emby usable but you can (as far as I can tell) use many other apps available in the Google Play Store. Things you will need:
•    SDCard is ideal, maybe possible if connecting a file explorer to cloud storage but I had an SDCard to use.
•    A File Browser installed via the Amazon Appstore (I used Astro)
•    The “GoToApp” app installed via the Amazon Appstore

Here are the steps I took.

1.    Identify the Model of the Tablet
Easiest way is to log into your Amazon account and go to “Manage Your Content & Devices”. Click Devices, then identify the tablet you’re using and note the Model & Generation.

2.    Install Google Play & required Apps on the Adult Profile:
•    Install “Astro” File Manager from Amazon App store (other file managers from Amazon Appstore may also work fine)
•    Install the “GoToApp” from Amazon App store

Go to the following website to identify the correct versions of the 4 Google Play apks below:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/10/03/install-play-store-amazon-fire-tablet/

Use the model name\number obtained earlier to ensure you get the correct ones. If you already have Google Play on the tablet make sure you uninstall all 4 aspects and begin again with the very latest. I failed to do this on one tablet and was unable to download apps from the Google Play store within the Freetime profile until I removed everything from both profiles and installed the latest versions…….
•    Download and Install Google Account Manager - This may prompt you to allow Unknown Sources from Settings
•    Download and Install Google Services Framework
•    Download and Install Google Play Services
•    Download and Install Google Play Store

Finally sign into the Google Play app.

3.    Add Content to Child Profile:
From tablet Settings->Profiles and Library, select child profile
Add Content, Share Content
Click Games & Apps
Select Astro (or alternative file manager) & GoToApp

4.    Uninstall “Google Play Services”
This has to be uninstalled before it can be installed on the child profile. Once you have completed all steps however this can be re-installed on the Adult profile and the Play store will work in both the Adult and Child profiles.
Settings->Apps & Games->Manage All Apps, Uninstall Google Play Services
If the uninstall button is greyed out do the following & try again:
Settings->Security & Privacy->Device Administrators, Uncheck “Find My Device”

5.    Move Google APKs to the SDCard: 
On the newer tablets file managers running from a child account are unable to access the internal storage but can see SDCards. Some older Fire tablets appear to not have this restriction….. 

6.    Install the Google APKs on the Child Profile:
•    Switch to Child Profile
•    Open Astro (or alternative file manager)
•    Install the Google APKs - This should prompt you to allow Unknown Sources from Settings
•    Open GoToApp

From the GoToApp you will be able to see lists of the installed apps on the tablet. Go to the “All Apps” list and locate the “Play Store”. Sign into The Play Store and install Emby. Before leaving I also disabled auto updates of apps from within Google Play.

I then created a new Folder within GoToApp, added in Emby & any other app I wanted to be visible to the child into it. Then I hid all the other Folders so that when my children launch the app they are presented with only one view with just the apps I want them to use.

It may be possible if you have tech savvy children for them to access other apps so it will be up to you whether this method is suitable from a parental control viewpoint. 
Personally I was just very happy to finally be able to use the proper Emby app!

This process has worked on all three of my children's tablets and no issues so far. I hope this helps others :)

Edited by Jibest
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Great news everyone. Emby for Android 3.3.29 is available in the Amazon App Store.

Please try it out and report your experience. Thanks !

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great news Luke, i've managed to install this today on my child tablets and Emby is now present for them to use just like all the other Amazon apps :)

• Thanks 2