Amazon "Emby Mobile" removed from devices???

A_Aron

adam1010

I picked up a $35 Fire 7 this week and ran into the same issue (Emby Mobile not available in the Amazon App Store).

I was able to download the Emby apk file from the site and install ("sideload") it, but was unable to allow access to it for my child's profile (via Amazon's FreeTime app whitelist).

I tried a workaround using an app called GoToApp to allow opening sideloaded apps from within the child's profile, but was unsuccessful  (GoToApp showed Emby if I used the adult profile, but not when using the child/FreeTime profile).

So my options are to either have the child use an adult (non-FreeTime) profile, or use Plex.

I can see why Amazon would want to block competitive services, but then why have they not blocked Plex?

adam1010

I have the web browser disabled for the child profile so that won't work in my situation. I plan to sync a bunch of content so the tablet can be used on the go -- I guess I could do the syncing through my profile if the VLC app can access it via the child profile.

I'll reach out to some of my contacts at Amazon and see if I can speed along the process of getting the app re-instated for the Kindle Fire.

• 3 weeks later...
apefray

Hi Luke,

Is there a newer apk for Amazon Fire Tablets available since the one you posted back in May?

I managed to copy the apk you linked to back in May from one Amazon Fire tablet to another and install it. Both tablets now have emby running, but I then ran into a brick wall with regards to Offline playback. I have managed to download content for Offline playback onto both the tablets, however I cannot get emby to go into Offline mode. This I believe is because the Offline mode was introduced in July, two months after the version I have.

I did find a newer version of the apk on Github for arm7 devices, but when I installed this, and started emby, I had nothing but a blank screen and emby never started. I then reverted back to the apk from May and all works as expected, except the Offline playback.

Im going away for two weeks next week, so it would have been nice to be able to playback offline content through emby :(

The solution I have come up with for now is to use emby to download the content, which it has done with no issues, then use VLC player to play the content.

Not at this time. The reason we haven't published newer apk's is because the app is unable to communicate with the amazon store to verify the in-app purchase. That verification won't work until the app is back in the store unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

Not at this time. The reason we haven't published newer apk's is because the app is unable to communicate with the amazon store to verify the in-app purchase. That verification won't work until the app is back in the store unfortunately.

Is there any update on this? Is the app likely to be back in the store or do I need to find a permanent workaround that's compatible with the Fire Kids system.

Is there any update on this? Is the app likely to be back in the store or do I need to find a permanent workaround that's compatible with the Fire Kids system.

I've given up on Emby... I started this thread back in May... ironically Emby devs pulled support for Amazon not that long after...  I just make sure to inform other parents to avoid Emby, and use Plex now... sad as I really wanted to see an alternative to Plex, but I just don't see that happening anymore...

ironically Emby devs pulled support for Amazon not that long after... 

For clarification (and as we've already stated) we did not pull support for anything.

AgileHumor

For clarification (and as we've already stated) we did not pull support for anything.

Not a lot of information provided. My impression is the team was being purposely vague due to legal issues (guess).

With no information and updates over months....i can understand the frustration.

I'm sure its not purposely, but as a user the lack of information has been frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...
hooj1981

Same here. Very frustrating. Any update Emby team?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!,

I'm a happy emby user currently evaluating Fire HD kids 8 for my daughter.

Is the situation the same as of today?, I would like to use Emby offline with that tablet with the kids mode enabled.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you would need to sideload the google play store and then install the play store version of the app.

That won't work if the intention is to allow a child account to access. You can't allow side loaded apps for them.

Is this a resolvable problem or is the removal permanent?

hooj1981

That won't work if the intention is to allow a child account to access. You can't allow side loaded apps for them.

Is this a resolvable problem or is the removal permanent?

Same issue here. Can we have some update on the progress? As a premium user 50% of the reason why I pay for it has been taken away with no eta on when the functionality might return.

Edited by hooj1981

Read on another similar thread about adding Play Store without root and loading the PS version of Emby for Android. It works, however it does not allow Emby to be used with a child profile---only the parent profile.Please try to restore the ability to work within kid's profiles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Read on another similar thread about adding Play Store without root and loading the PS version of Emby for Android. It works, however it does not allow Emby to be used with a child profile---only the parent profile.Please try to restore the ability to work within kid's profiles.

As I understand it any app that isn't installed from Amazon directly won't be allowed to be used by a Child's profile. That's amazon policy and not something the devs can alter.

What's less clear is why the app has been removed from the Amazon store and if or when it will be reinstated.

• 2 weeks later...
StLDreiling

We're very sorry folks but the ball is still in Amazon's court here.

Is there some pressure you'd like us to put on Amazon? A developer support e-mail inbox or hotline or something? This is just nuts to me. What possible reqs could Emby Mobile violate Emby for Fire TV and/or Plex don't? 

Is there some pressure you'd like us to put on Amazon? A developer support e-mail inbox or hotline or something? This is just nuts to me. What possible reqs could Emby Mobile violate Emby for Fire TV and/or Plex don't? 

Thanks but I don't think applying more pressure will help.

• 2 months later...
speedingcheetah

Lol. This thread was an entertaining read! 

Grrr.. i bought this through a third party...why am i not getting the current official version for free cause I paid for it already....lol!   

(reminds me of the customer i had that demanded from my store manager that he get Office 2016 for free cause he bought Office 2010 on CD from some other store 8yrs ago. Or the folks that make a fuss for other software like Adobe that are now subscription based and not one time purchase.) 

Also......LMAO!  cause what do u expect from an AMAZON tablet!  Know what u are buying first. FireOS is a very locked down custom version of Android. U have to play by Amazon's rules.  These days , the Android community don't bother much with them. If u want to do anything useful, wipe it and flash custom full Android rom. Then its a decent tablet. But otherwise, good luck trying to resolve any issue related to its OS and app usability. 

StLDreiling

Also......LMAO!  cause what do u expect from an AMAZON tablet!  Know what u are buying first. FireOS is a very locked down custom version of Android. U have to play by Amazon's rules.  These days , the Android community don't bother much with them. If u want to do anything useful, wipe it and flash custom full Android rom. Then its a decent tablet. But otherwise, good luck trying to resolve any issue related to its OS and app usability. 

Well, I suppose people who bought Fire tablets thought they could "expect" to use Emby on them, since there's (still) an Amazon Apps link on the Emby for Android webpage and Amazon still lists Emby in its Appstore. And as you may have noticed, we bought the tablets in part because they are locked down, so unlocking the bootloader and flashing a custom Android ROM doesn't help us. The Emby devs have made it clear that it's an Amazon issue, and I don't think anyone should consider ditching Emby over this, but it's still a shame.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
AgileHumor

After years of avoiding it, I finally had to install Plex since that was all that the Fire w/Freetime could support (key use case for my kid).

After some research of my first workaround of installing Kodi (and use Emby for Kodi), that was also not available.   It looks like Amazon has decided Kodi (proven) and Emby (inferred) are bad actors:

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-appstore-removed-kodi-for-false-reputation-of-facilitating-piracy-while-google-play-store-approves-kodi/

PS - Lame the Plex app can't sync media to the SD Card.   Only local storage.  

PSS - Installing APK still doesn't support Amazon Freetime for Kids.  

PSSS - Could not add add my home media server Emby web access to Freetime either.  Getting wierd errors though in the kids browser, so their service may have issue and this is unconfirmed.